LegacyGT.com

Dohc ej22e

Thats the biggest load of horse shit I've ever heard.

Everyone knows that you can't judge a cars power by its sound. Its all about the butt dyno :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hahaha, butt dyno doesn't pick up anything below 2K RPM! Lol! 22D is lazy if she's not on the highway! The pulses seem a bit "throaty" for lack of a better word & it definitely runs a bit smoother. Cold air rules :D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's Log:

By monitoring my scan tool, I was able to figure out that the engine load percentage directly impacts the car's gas mileage during operation.

For example, at 10% EL (engine load), I was able to achieve 34mpg on the highway doing the speed limit but if I maintain that speed going up an incline, the EL is increased to nearly 25% & my mpgs dropped to about 26-27mpg.

If I had a 5 speed, the engine load would be easier to control/handle but I have a slushbox so I'll have to play that card.

Off topic, I also got an offer from another Subie head to buy my car but I kindly declined her offer, only for her to say that she will keep asking me every time she sees my car.

On topic, I am now going to drive in a way that keeps the engine load low when I travel to preserve gas.

I wish my cruise control worked but the pin needed for the small vacuum hose to plug into snapped off somehow while the intake manifold was in the basement, so I plugged it up with a small screw to prevent a vacuum leak until I can either afford another intake or come up with an idea to fix it, which I haven't yet (I suck at inventing things).

Also, the struts are officially on their way out so I guess I got hired just in time to work for replacements.

I thinks he's saying same speed and rpms, hugher load (increased throttle input).

So yes, more throttle = more gas used.

You are correct. Speed, rpm, & load (going up/down hills or carrying people/weight). My scan tool can calculate engine load. Going up a hill @ 65mph will use up more energy than going down a hill @ 65mph. I'm going to adjust my style of driving according to the engine load.

it just occurred to me this week that if i drive my H6 without ever letting the RPMs going over 2500, (ideally 2000, but that is a real stretch)i will get better gas mileage.

in other words, if you drive like an old lady you can save gas. if you drive like a 18 year old male, not so much.

it just occurred to me this week that if i drive my H6 without ever letting the RPMs going over 2500, (ideally 2000, but that is a real stretch)i will get better gas mileage.

in other words, if you drive like an old lady you can save gas. if you drive like a 18 year old male, not so much.

Yeah, that's about right.

With the 22D, 2500-2800rpm is ideal for mpg. Scan tool tells me that it gets below 24 once I go above 3400rpms but then, I'd be doing something like 88-90mph, so I try to go the speed limit to conserve gas. Plus, I'm not trying to get a ticket. Stateys DO NOT PLAY around these parts.

not true across the board tho. i have a few job sites i visit that are long freeway drives, so it gives me time to do testing. in my 01 dodge truck i thought the same thing, so i went 3 trips with never going over 2500 rpms. 16.6 mpg. i did the same 3 trips going to 3000 rpms. 16.5 mpg. i did 3 trips each because that was when i had to fill up, there was no other driving except for those three site visits. ive done that test many times, even from here to nogales and back. mileage never varies more than a couple tenths. i cant bring myself to stop at 2100 rpms so i haave no idea if going lower would help or hurt.

My gas mileage in the 96 GT would vary hugely base on how I drove . With crappy brand gas, I'd get as low as 16 mpg if I drove it hard, but no higher than 18 mpg. With better gas, I'd get aroun 17 to 19 at the most. Take into account that those numbers come from 2 separate ends of the driving spectrum. With my 98 GT I never get less than 20 mpg and sometimes I'll get about 27 on the highway at 60 mph. But as soon as I start going 80 I'll get 20

With my 98 GT I never get less than 20 mpg and sometimes I'll get about 27 on the highway at 60 mph. But as soon as I start going 80 I'll get 20

totally. when i drove from az to mi i averaged 26 mpg until texas, then it was 29-30 the rest of the trip. when i got back to texas, i noticed it was back down to 26. the only thing that changed was me doing 75-80 instead of 55-60. texas to az is all 75+.

true, but the shape of my car was constant when i was driving over 60... :p;)

but youre right (sort of), wind pressure is exponential the faster you go, not linear so the drag coefficient increases MUCH quicker over 60 than it does from 45-60

You're both right. Aerodynamics, speed, engine load, engine temperature, rpm, air flow, air density, & even engine size has a lot to do with MPG. It's impossible for me to calculate all of that in one setting, so I just let the scan tool do that for me. It's a rather simple app but gets the job done. Btw, off topic but do not EVER buy a 2000 Ford Taurus...

Oh, and what's the name of that app of yours and how much did it cost?

I have 2 apps that are related to 1 wire. One is called GoPoint & the other mpgLink. The apps are free but you have to buy the wire for $100. It will work with any 4G iPod Touch or 4G iPhone (it also doubles as a charger). It's still in it's phase of development & improvement so there will be more things added as time goes on. The good thing is that it's updated daily, so you don't have to wait long for an update. There are other scan tool apps too but I'd do a review before buying them.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

The Taurus was Ford's way of saying "Hi. My name Ford and I can car good."

Hahahahaha!!! That's what I thought when I was drilling out the pinch bolts for the rear lower struts. R&D for disassembly must have sucked back then.

Also, I'd like to point out that just because a Civic has a high-pressure turbo, doesn't mean it can corner well. AWD + 22D ftw in that regard. My little episode at a buddy's house just gave me a small craving for more power. I'll admit though, it's a lot better to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

There are no major incidents to report, just the usual.

The engine still runs smooth & delivers sufficient passing power w/power mode on.

I found that my transmission fluid was a little low but after topping it off, all is well.

A few ricers have tried to test me but I just let those idiots keep on moving.

I'm not going to even remotely think about taking a risk just because some little boy in a Golf wants to have a pissing contest (this happened once & he took off from me at the light, only for a trooper to pounce on him just as he passed it...stupid ass boy...).

I keep getting compliments on the car, mainly because I keep it clean (I have gotten a bit OCD thanks to the white color).

I let absolutely no one drive it at all but people keep asking me & it's a little annoying.

Don't let anyone drive it, but NEVER let anyone work on it with you. I tried that once with a good friend, and he helped me put the timing system back together. He torqued the tensioner down too tight, stripped the threads, and it failed 20 miles down the road :spin:

Good to hear all is well though. What're your plans moving forward?

Don't let anyone drive it, but NEVER let anyone work on it with you. I tried that once with a good friend, and he helped me put the timing system back together. He torqued the tensioner down too tight, stripped the threads, and it failed 20 miles down the road :spin:

Good to hear all is well though. What're your plans moving forward?

Suspension, tires, then brakes. I feel like this car could some help in the handling department (even though driving it with 2 hands feels like overkill).

It feels "squishy" during the apex of a corner & I dislike the little bit of body roll it has from the struts going out.

Yeah, I assemble everything myself unless I need extra muscle to put in an engine (once I completed the 22D, I found that I could no longer move it around easily, so my father helped me put it in the car).

DOHC, you should post an acceleration video!

Heh, "acceleration" XD Okay, I'll humor us all & put up a video the first chance I get. I'll probably have to turn power mode on for that.

The following is a throwback video was taken maybe a few days before the 25D popped its guts out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER5ic6dSpEc]1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited 3 - YouTube[/ame]

It's only walked a few steps forward from that point.

I'm a little angry at myself that it doesn't have any mods that matter.

No suspension, brakes, bushings, mounts, nothing.

Just a rebuilt engine, intake/exhaust mods, & 1300+ miles on it.

Hey, don't worry about your minimal mods. I've had my frst Subaru for almost 2 years and it's never seen one mod . It's also sitting with no motor and needs about $1,000 to get it going again. My 98 has seen 10,000 miles since I got it 3 and a half months ago, and is now sitting in my driveway with a blown motor. It's not gotten single mod done to it...

Archived