LegacyGT.com

Scotch/Bourbon Whisky/Whiskey thread

allgrownup

History: I grew up with a Father who enjoyed Single Malt Whisky, once I turned 21 he began exposing me to Macallan's Laphroig's Lagavulin etc. 9 years later and I am a full on Scotch advocate and Snob. I have even converted my wife which has proven most beneficial for budgetary reasons :)

If you have questions about Scotch I can help, If you have a Scotch or another Whiskey you love please share!

Currently I am drinking a Willet 6yr/o bourbon and am loving it.

My Favorite Scotch right now is SpringBank 12, it is a Cambeltown which is a region that only has 3 distillery's all owned by the same guy. Springbank Glengyle and Glen Scotia)

it is not overally smokey and has a phenomenal balance.

Enjoy hearing from the rest of you guys!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm into the Macallan 12 year right now. There is always a bottle of JAmeson 12y in my house as well. I am also working through a bottle of glenfiddich 12y.

My Fiance got me a tasting set from this place online. It came with 5 single serving drams. There was a nice range of 17-40 years in here. A great range of bourbon, scotch and whisky.

Defi looking forward to this thread.

I just finished a bottle of Highland Park 12 which I really enjoyed.

Currently working on a Caribou Crossing Single Barrel Canadian Whiskey which is awesome, and my gf got me a 18 yr Tomatin which is pretty great.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Bourbon: Bookers or Woodford Reserve

man you gotta try the Willet!

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but after trying many single malts and blends, I always come back to Johnnie Walker black.

LOL, hey your taste are you tastes man, I bought a 1L of the double black from the duty free in Cancun...Its a smoky version of black, doesnt compare to other Peated malts but its not too expensive and people seem to like it

Yup, tried the double black and it is indeed smokey. FYI, I tried it at the Tokyo airport and they have a sampling station with all sorts of whiskey/scotch. Check it out if you are there, just remember to bring some water as they don't have any.

been slowly transitioning from single malt scotches to bourbons. it seems to me that domestic liquors have become a better value in the last few years. the weaker dollar and growing popularity have driven scotch prices higher.

this is what we currently have open in the liquor cabinet:

elijah craig 18

booker's

buffalo trace

hirsch selection 20

eagle rare

cardhu 12

glenburgie 14 (independent bottler)

glenburgie 15 (independent bottler)

auchentoshen 21

auchentoshen sherry cask 12

mortlach 16

aberfeldy 21

tomintoul glenlivet (perfume bottle)

glenfiddich (no one drinks it, so it just takes up space in the cabinet)

macallan estate reserve

macallan thirties (not 30 year)

caol ila 12

i have a few other unopened scotches, but house rule is that you have to finish a bottle before opening a new one.

I drink too much to always buy the good stuff, I go through a bottle about every 3 days or so.

Took half a dozen bottles back to the old man last time I visited, Chivas (his favourite) and single malts, the Glenlivet 25 was smoooooth (got a sample with the 18).

One whiskey I definitely was not impressed with was Bowmore. Ordered it in a bar once (first time I'd tried it) and thought they'd given me something else by mistake... or perhaps on purpose. Bought a bottle later to give it another shot and it just confirmed what I already thought. Having said that, it may just be that I prefer a Speyside to an Islay. More testing is in order!

are you in tokyo? i don't know if yamazaki is any cheaper there than it is here, but i was surprised at how good it was and picked up a bottle of the 18 last time coming back through duty-free.

Not me, but traveled through there on the way to Taiwan. In general, I think liqueur is cheaper in the asian countries since they tend to drink a lot more of it than we do (e.g. JW blue label can be had for a little over $100). And to boot, they get lots of special editions (like JW XR 21 yr). Again, I drink a lot of JW.

I'm not very familar with the different regions and how the tastes differ, but one of the single malts I did like quite a bit is Dalmore (not Bowmore). I think what I sampled was a 10 yr.

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but after trying many single malts and blends, I always come back to Johnnie Walker black.

Johnnie Black!

This year I plan on spoiling myself and getting some blue.

Southern California, you can get it shipped your way hell you can by a 200ML for 50 bucks and see if you like it. google it is 150-160 all day long :)

-if you like Islay's (what blue is blended from) look for a Caol Ila, its the predominant blend the johnnie walker uses :) and is more like 80-100

are you in tokyo? i don't know if yamazaki is any cheaper there than it is here, but i was surprised at how good it was and picked up a bottle of the 18 last time coming back through duty-free.

Apparently some of the Japanese whiskies are getting rave reviews and gold medals, especially Nikka which is what I go for. There's some nice clean water up north and the Japanese have great attention to detail. I haven't tried that many Japanese whiskies because they're surprisingly expensive compared to the imported stuff but I've liked what I have tried.

In general, I think liqueur is cheaper in the asian countries since they tend to drink a lot more of it than we do (e.g. JW blue label can be had for a little over $100). And to boot, they get lots of special editions (like JW XR 21 yr). Again, I drink a lot of JW.

I'm not very familar with the different regions and how the tastes differ, but one of the single malts I did like quite a bit is Dalmore (not Bowmore). I think what I sampled was a 10 yr.

I don't know about other countries but in Australia spirits are expensive and beer is cheap (relatively) because tax goes by alcohol content AFAIK. In Japan it's the other way around, beer is expensive and spirits are cheap because tax is structured differently, there is a tax on one of the ingredients of beer, not the alcohol content. I can buy most whiskies for half the price here compared to Australia.

Not me, but traveled through there on the way to Taiwan. In general, I think liqueur is cheaper in the asian countries since they tend to drink a lot more of it than we do (e.g. JW blue label can be had for a little over $100). And to boot, they get lots of special editions (like JW XR 21 yr). Again, I drink a lot of JW.

Their demand is driving our prices up stateside for Scotch, the Japanese are now choosing singlemalts as their after work drink (which is a cultural norm)

prices stayed steady for Single malts in Japan while ours are continually rising case in point: I bought an Ardbeg airigh nam beist (the Beast as they call it) for $78 less than a year ago. That same bottle now discontinued (replaced with corryvreckan) goes for $120-150 now.

• 2 weeks later...
While it's true that whisky is being pushed here through advertising and promotion (specifically high-balls), I think the idea that it's driving up prices OS is a stretch. The vast majority drink what's cheap and the high-ball push is being done by Suntory mainly with their "Tory's". If someone is telling you that's why their prices are going up I think they might be looking for an excuse to gouge.

Archived