LegacyGT.com

Scotch/Bourbon Whisky/Whiskey thread

allgrownup

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulleit was a solid bourbon for the price, I just think Buffalo Trace is a tad smoother and a hint sweeter. If you like Bulleit you should try Lexington.

b.t. is a solid bourbon, but i think lexington is astringent and just godawful. check out elmer t. lee for a bourbon in the $30 price range. probably my favorite for the money by a long shot. and at ~$20 w.l. weller antique is damn good too. :cool:

i can put anything i want down here?!

Yup, tried the double black and it is indeed smokey. FYI, I tried it at the Tokyo airport and they have a sampling station with all sorts of whiskey/scotch. Check it out if you are there, just remember to bring some water as they don't have any.

I like JW... but I've decided DB is just a gimmick. It's over-the-top smokey. Price is decent, but I'd rather drink black.

^Blue is good but not for its price. for the $150 or so it goes for you can get a much better bottle :)

285 here, where the hell are you getting it for 150?

$300 for the special-edition Greg Norman stuff. Under $200 for the run-of-the-mill stuff. I have half a bottle of blue at home. I almost always have some, for no other reason than because someone gives me some or I find a good deal on it.

Has no one mentioned Balvenie Double Wood? Killer 12-year single-malt. One of the few that doesn't make me feel like a bag of sh*t the next morning.

Tits mcgee

Just discovered this thread, and recently discovered my affinity for Scotch (haven't branched out much into whiskey/bourbon/etc)... Some of my recent purchases:

Glenlivet 18 (my re-employment gift to myself... really, really good... but really expensive!)

Glenlivet 12

Glenfiddich 15, 12

Some other Glenfiddich Reserve (blah blah blah, I forget the exact name) that a friend brought back for me from a Caribbean cruise... I'll try and find the name when I get home, it was very nice, very smooth.

Took a suggestion from Bucko3the7man and picked up a bottle of The Balvenie Doublewood (really good, and not super-expensive), thanks for the rec, buddy!

For anyone who wants to drink single malts on a budget, look for McClellend's scotch... they have a Highlands and an Islay, but for my taste the Highland's is MUCH better... only $40 for a 1.75L here in Boston, and it's quite drinkable! (especially if you start with one or two glasses of the good stuff before switching over! :))

do you scotch-drinkin peatsuckers ever feel like you're getting bourbon's sloppy seconds given that swill is usually aged in used bourbon barrels?

:hide:

just kidding... sorta. i just can't get with scotch. and absolutely cannot fathom the prices some of that stuff fetches.

i can put anything i want down here?!

• Moderators
b.t. is a solid bourbon, but i think lexington is astringent and just godawful. check out elmer t. lee for a bourbon in the $30 price range. probably my favorite for the money by a long shot. and at ~$20 w.l. weller antique is damn good too. :cool:

Very good description of lexington, lol. I'll also second the vote for elmer t.--it's really a solid bourbon for the price IMO.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I've been liking rye more and more. It comes in a wide price range, but Rittenhouse is great and cheap. Come on, it's America's first whiskey!

You must try this:

http://www.flahute.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/4499363300_71fb2d5e51_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just picked up a bottle of Glengoyne 10yr (single malt, highlands) last night... considering the price ($48 for 750mL) and the good things I had heard about Glengoyne, I'm disappointed... Honestly not sure I could tell the difference between it, and the $41 1.5L of McClelland's highland that I have. Granted I don't claim to be an expert, but for > 2x the price, I'd expect the difference to be noticeable... Disappointed. (but still gonna drink it! :lol:)

• 4 weeks later...
Just picked up a bottle of Glengoyne 10yr (single malt, highlands) last night... considering the price ($48 for 750mL) and the good things I had heard about Glengoyne, I'm disappointed... Honestly not sure I could tell the difference between it, and the $41 1.5L of McClelland's highland that I have. Granted I don't claim to be an expert, but for > 2x the price, I'd expect the difference to be noticeable... Disappointed. (but still gonna drink it! :lol:)

That seems mighty expensive for their 10yr, I just picked up their 17yr for $50. In that price range I'd go with Macallan 12 for around $43.

Sipping on their 21yr watching MNF (which I recently found selling for $109(!) out of SoCal- I paid $150 at the distillery...) It is awesome :)

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/solsurferx/Snapbucket/005302F5_zps23b346bf.jpg

Archived