LegacyGT.com

2006 Legacy's ship in July

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay Tide, an F-bomb and a P-bomb in one post. Do that again and we may need to bar you from this site.

I am an X, VP of Global Sales & Marketing for a company owned 50% by IBM and 50% by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. My boss, the President of the group was based in Tokyo. I understand business plans and cutting drag on the bottom line. I have also seen my share of dumb board decisions.

Subaru appeared to be on a roll, doing everything right, capturing Audi/BMW market share, boosting sales, still building a reliable car while Audi and Benz have terrible quality issues. It really looks like Subaru is shooting themselves in the huevos and getting in their own way. Suby has a proven 5MT and solid 6MT. Why present yourself with aggressive performance image campaign, "faster than porsche, BMW" and then not even allow a 5MT or 6MT special option? Why walk away from a sport wagon market that you have captured and own?

This 06 LegGT info does not indicate a bright future for LegacyGT performance. Legacy wagons will become granny cars and I will be back to BMW wagons. Hope we are proven wrong and I hope we see clear thinking by the 07 or 08 model year. If BMW gets its act together with 07 turbo diesel for NorAm, Subaru may miss there chance to maintain ownership of the sport wagon market. If the numbers do not work, maybe Subaru has no reason to care.

Subaru is sure doing an excellent job at persuading me they don't want my business by offering future models to entice me, like something very fuel efficient (in whatever form) for safe and reliable and economical commuting, like a TDi, and more sport/performance oriented models and options like an actual STi Spec C (competitor to the EVO MR), or a Legacy STi to persuade me and others to aspire to a BMW or Audi starting with M or S and RS respectively. Taking away the sportiness and flexibility for what I thought many were desiring (the base GT) and what seemed to also be popular enough (manual) just doesn't seem to be serving what it showed on the menu just last year. Sad. And I was very impressed with where they were going 2 years ago, even last year. Now, I'm very disappointed. The WRX is getting to the specs where I feel like it is much more useful, but little else has improved their standing if any, I'm seeing a backward decline from the direction they were going.

And to think I was trying pretty hard to get into Product Planning at SoA and could have right up until they put in a hiring freeze I think 2 summers ago, and I was a huge advocate of theirs. They're losing my vote of confidance, FAST!

There's probably a good reason an EVO MR is on my plate for later this year, they can deliver the goods in a package out of the box that looks great (IMO) and can get the job done very well without touching anything. Notice how many EVO owners play with suspensions compared to STi owners... nuff said.

I'm guessing that the reason there won't be a LGT-LTD Wagon 5MT is that it is being reserved for the Spec B wagon with 5 or 6MT. That would make sense to me.

As many have stated, Subaru owns the Sport Wagon market and I'm sure they're well aware of the performance "bent" of many who buy the LGT Wagon models. My fervent hope would be that they don't abandon those enthusiasts who need a performance wagon and don't want to drive it via an autostick.

Subaru of America - are you listening?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

There are so many choices today in the performance car market. I've been intrigued however, by the performance, practicality and "stealth" factor of the GT wagon with the manual transmission. I also wanted the cloth seats and had heard that GT's would only be available in '06 with the limited package. But to delete the manual option also, is truly bad news for performance enthusiasts. Let's face though, the majority of drivers do not want to be bothered with shifting for themselves. It's the lunatic fringe that's hurt by this change! :(

I'm guessing that the reason there won't be a LGT-LTD Wagon 5MT is that it is being reserved for the Spec B wagon with 5 or 6MT. That would make sense to me.

As many have stated, Subaru owns the Sport Wagon market and I'm sure they're well aware of the performance "bent" of many who buy the LGT Wagon models. My fervent hope would be that they don't abandon those enthusiasts who need a performance wagon and don't want to drive it via an autostick.

Subaru of America - are you listening?

SBT

No such thing as a USDM Spec B wagon yet (well, except the ones some of us have built with parts from Japan).

None of this makes any sense....let's hope some of this is bad info and the real deal won't be this way. Everyone knows that 85% of the cars that roll off the lot are auto's - a few companies like BMW 'get it' that some of us still want manuals. Honda made this mistake by not offering the V6 with 5sp on the last gen models -same for the Acura TL (since corrected with the latest models). My '98 Accord was the last Honda I bought new....

There is a term in retail called 'loss leader' - you sell a product with no profit or even a loss to get people in the door in hopes that they buy other products from you (which make up for the loss). Offering a manual transmission on most every model is a 'loss leader' for most companies. Seems FHI is in trouble again from the latest financials and this is one of the first things to go. :rolleyes:

Patagoninan,

I haven't heard thie term since I finish school, a couple of years ago... hahahahaha...

But you are right, FHI might be doing this due to their "weird" financial situation, and I really think that Japan, where they are not performing very well lately, will demand more 5MT or 6MT cars than US... As a matter of fact, US is the largest automatic car market in the world, the other countries, people prefer manuals, at least this is true in Europe, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Australia, and others too...

;-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

VXCL:

The sad thing is that I'm going to pay an stupid amount of money for this car anyways. Here in Pueto Rico taxes on car sales are insane. I'll be paying around 28% tax. So I'm expecting to pay somewhere between 36-37K for the Leg. (MSRP is $37,995 including tax). So, unfortunatly, that doesn't leve me a lot of money to spend in mods. The other thing is that dealers are not so desparete to get rid of them yet beacuse there is hardly any inventory left. My dealer has only 6 or 7 of them. While the other dealer has a about ten. BTW ther are only two Wagons available right now.

Although HID's are not a deal breaker I would have loved having them. My wife's Maxima has them and the difference is incredible.

William

PS How can i insert quotes?

VXCL:

The sad thing is that I'm going to pay an stupid amount of money for this car anyways. Here in Pueto Rico taxes on car sales are insane. I'll be paying around 28% tax. So I'm expecting to pay somewhere between 36-37K for the Leg. (MSRP is $37,995 including tax). So, unfortunatly, that doesn't leve me a lot of money to spend in mods. The other thing is that dealers are not so desparete to get rid of them yet beacuse there is hardly any inventory left. My dealer has only 6 or 7 of them. While the other dealer has a about ten. BTW ther are only two Wagons available right now.

Although HID's are not a deal breaker I would have loved having them. My wife's Maxima has them and the difference is incredible.

William

wow really. i didn't pay attention to your location. but just know if you want to get your hands on a great xenon setup you can.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

quotes as in quoting someone else? http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/quote.gif

or this one when you reply:

http://legacygt.com/forums/images/editor/quote.gif

two things to observe

perhaps the lack of navigation automatic sedan only is because those that drive manuals need both hands to drive, more likely to cause accident if you're driving a manual and operating a navi (lame explanation and doesnt explain the lack of navi in an auto wagon)

also....its funny that the SPEC B MANUAL Legacy GT had a navigation system in it, but the GT non-spec B can't be ordered with it.

maybe they are going so offer a spec B package on wagons that includes the navi, and a 5MT...that would make some sense, no?

Well I think its Federal law that you have to click 'agree' on any Navigation unit stating the driver will not operate the nav while the car is in motion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

wow really. i didn't pay attention to your location. but just know if you want to get your hands on a great xenon setup you can.

Thanks for the great info anyways. The other thing is that I want to add lots of stuff (spoiler, sport grill, homelink, pedals, among other stuff)

quotes as in quoting someone else? http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/quote.gif

or this one when you reply:

http://legacygt.com/forums/images/editor/quote.gif

Both, thank you.

William

practicing both quotes :D

Now that we have the major information about the 06 model changes, when will details be forthcoming about any minor updates/fixes (e.g., climate system). I'm still debating whether I should go for an 05 today, or get the 06. I am interested in the Auto GT Ltd Wagon, and I would have definitely gone for the 06 if Nav was available for that configuration. Now it's more of a question as to whether anything changed at all, or if buying and 06 just means paying more for the exact same car (not including depreciation, of course).

Edit 1: On second thought, maybe this means that I will sadly have to depart from this part of the forums to start lurking over on the Outback side. How much handling am I giving up by going to an Outback XT? What are the upsides (if any)?

Edit 2: After having more time to reflect on this, my guess is that this was Subaru's intent. Since the OBXT and LegGT were already nearly identical, it probably makes sense from a business point of view to consolidate and force buyers who want a wagon with Nav to go to the OB. That's too bad, since I would really rather have the Leg GT Ltd. I'll have to give some more thought as to how much I really want the factory Nav.

If they are axing 2.5i ltd MT for 06 then I'm glad I got my 05. I don't like driving ATs. I've been thinking of adding a computer to my car even before I bought it. I hope the bezel for the 7" screen will work on 05 models.

I am upset that they are not offering the Nav with a manual. I will not drive auto. I was really looking foward to getting nav in my GT. Why would they offer it on the Auto and not the manual? It doesnt make any sense.

Subaru probably felt that driving/shifting and pushing Nav buttons was an unacceptable risk.

Subaru probably felt that driving/shifting and pushing Nav buttons was an unacceptable risk.

What's the rationale for offering Nav on the Leg Sedan but not the Leg Wagon then? That the sedan does not have enough cargo space to store traditional paper maps?

I am upset that they are not offering the Nav with a manual. I will not drive auto. I was really looking foward to getting nav in my GT. Why would they offer it on the Auto and not the manual? It doesnt make any sense.

Are you serious? wtf!

Okay i'm sure someone will swap an auto's NAV unit into a MT. I don't see why this would not be possible.

This is really a shame. I've been waiting for about 6 months now to trade in my STi for a MT Leg Wagon with Nav, only to be denied. Now I have to decide on either going with a MT sedan and hoping I can drop the nav in myself, or saying goodbye to Subaru. We've come a long way from "Maybe they'll have an STi Leg" to not even having a wagon with a MT. Sigh.

Archived