LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

3.) Anyone who fools themselves into thinking an LGT is a better car than any of the big 4 German companies is simply out of their mind.

My car: 08 spec.b purchased new + stg. 3 parts/tune + maxed suspension + upgraded drivetrain + BBK + forged wheels + summer tires + separate winter wheels/tires + custom audio

4 years and 80k miles later, 0 service needed.

All this still cost me less than the OP's used stock 08 3 series (15k trade in + 15k loan).

I like my car better. Am I out of my mind?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny how anyone spending more than you on a car has self-esteem issues. And anyone spending less doesn't know what a good car is.

They say all the same things about Subaru owners in the Hyundai forums.

Wait... they have Hyundai forums???? What do they have to talk about? :)

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

It seems that Hyundai has made some good cars as of late. A friend of mine has the Genesis 3.8 V6 and it's a nice car. Leather feels nice, albeit a little plasticky. Car has decent pickup, a nice exhaust note, and the fit & finish is pretty good too. And heck, a 10yr/100k mile warranty?!?! Who wouldn't buy one with that kind of warranty???

Funny how anyone spending more than you on a car has self-esteem issues. And anyone spending less doesn't know what a good car is.

They say all the same things about Subaru owners in the Hyundai forums.

Probably the smartest comments in this thread.

3.) Anyone who fools themselves into thinking an LGT is a better car than any of the big 4 German companies is simply out of their mind.

Please tell me you cant seriously be saying that vw is better than Subaru...

No sorry. I consider the big 4 to be Porsche, MB, Audi, And BMW. I don't consider Audis to be a VW

How can you not consider Audi's to be VW's? That's the dumbest thing I've heard since mwiener2 tried explaining how knock sensors work.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That'd like saying you like mid 90s mazdas but hate ford.

They're (audi and bw) the same damn cars, and are for rich old business men, hipsters and hot chicks.

That'd like saying you like mid 90s mazdas but hate ford.

They're (audi and bw) the same damn cars, and are for rich old business men, hipsters and hot chicks.

I guess that's also like saying you like early-90s Lamborghini but hate Chrysler... (count me guilty on both of those). I guess now you think Lambos are just a VW, right? And Bentley too? In that regard I'm sure every time one of your friends sees a Ferrari you just say "meh, it's just a Fiat."

I do see your point, though. Sharing chassis and whatnot. TT, A3, Golf, and Eos...A4 and Jetta... Q5 and Tiguan, Q7 and Touareg. But that's about where the similarities end. The A6, to my knowledge, doesn't share a chassis with the Passat. The A8 doesn't share with anything. Nor the R8, A5, or A7. Want awd? You guessed it, Audi. Want a convertible? You take your pick of the Eos, A4, or A5. Hi-po engines are limited only to Audi along with a slew of other luxury options. Do you really think the largest auto group in the world, let alone the Germans, are stupid enough to make their products so similar and make the price discrepancy almost double? There's a method behind the madness

I do see your point, though. Sharing chassis and whatnot. TT, A3, Golf, and Eos...A4 and Jetta... Q5 and Tiguan, Q7 and Touareg. But that's about where the similarities end. The A6, to my knowledge, doesn't share a chassis with the Passat. The A8 doesn't share with anything. Nor the R8, A5, or A7. Want awd? You guessed it, Audi. Want a convertible? You take your pick of the Eos, A4, or A5. Hi-po engines are limited only to Audi along with a slew of other luxury options. Do you really think the largest auto group in the world, let alone the Germans, are stupid enough to make their products so similar and make the price discrepancy almost double? There's a method behind the madness

Well, it certainly simplifies their manufacturing by pulling from the same parts bins. Seems like a smart business move to me.

Awd - see: 4motion.

Convertible - see: cabrio(let)

Hi-po (not sure exactly what you mean by this but I assume high-output?) - R32? Passat 4motion with the W8 motor..?

Speaking as someone who sells the parts for these cars all day long, I can assure you that there isn't much that differentiates an Audi from Volkswagen, from a mechanical standpoint. Not sure why you are so insistent that they are worlds apart from each other :confused:

I don't think these cars are worlds apart. My stance is that these cars are different enough that someone who just bought a VW can't say they just bought an Audi because they share some of the same components. By the same accord, someone who just bought an Audi I'm sure did enough research to justify their purchase

Post 07 audi is a whole different animal. It seems that they have started building quality automobiles again, especially with the introduction and success of their dsg.

That being said.. you can't judge an automaker on its last 5 production years alone.

Would I love an 80's audi quattro? **** yeah. They're badass cars.

How about an a4? **** no. Its a Jetta with four rings and fancier fake wood.

The r8 is an impressive car.. especially the tdi one. That goes for their entire r line (rs4, rs6) but those cars are such low production number cars... again you can't base what a manufacturer does off of them.

Ever heard of a Nissan r390? Or a Toyota gt1? Short lived street legal race cars that where absolute monsters... yet neither plays a part in either parent companies public judgement

The R8 TDI was never released, was it?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I also just realized that you listed Porsche in your "top 4". You understand, of course, that Porsche has a controlling vote in VAG, right?

To me, there are only 3 real players in the EU. VW, MB, and BMW.

To me, there are only 4 real players in the EU. VW, MB, fiat and BMW.

Fixed. Fiat has there fingers in everything and accounts for a large chunk of eu auto sales. Some could even argue peugot citroen as being vital to the market there as well.

I also just realized that you listed Porsche in your "top 4". You understand, of course, that Porsche has a controlling vote in VAG, right?

To me, there are only 3 real players in the EU. VW, MB, and BMW.

Ummm, no.

http://www.utelio.it/market-share-auto.php

Peugeot has more market share than Daimler and BMW combined.

I'm referencing from the US perspective. It's been a lot of years since we had a Peugeot over here.

Porsche market share in March 2012 was only saved from last place by Jag.

I'm referencing from the US perspective. It's been a lot of years since we had a Peugeot over here.

Porsche market share in March 2012 was only saved from last place by Jag.

You said "only 3 real players in the EU." What you should have said was from the EU.

I'm not sure how the Audi-VW parts connection (or similar arrangements involving other brands, for that matter) is any different from what Subaru does with the Legacy: builds one car and then adds or deletes equipment to give you a price spread of thousands of dollars. I'm not complaining. That's the way Subaru holds costs down. But I'm reminded of this every time I look at the charcoal leather in my '08 Legacy and notice that I get the same neutral color headliner that's used for the taupe interior. On the plus side, I've gotten the LGT suspension (sans the bigger brakes) without paying extra for it.

At least Audi gives you a car that people perceive to be worth more than the comparable VW. When you buy a Legacy, what you get is still a Legacy, regardless of trim level.

I'm not sure how the Audi-VW parts connection (or similar arrangements involving other brands, for that matter) is any different from what Subaru does with the Legacy: builds one car and then adds or deletes equipment to give you a price spread of thousands of dollars. I'm not complaining. That's the way Subaru holds costs down. But I'm reminded of this every time I look at the charcoal leather in my '08 Legacy and notice that I get the same neutral color headliner that's used for the taupe interior. On the plus side, I've gotten the LGT suspension (sans the bigger brakes) without paying extra for it.

At least Audi gives you a car that people perceive to be worth more than the comparable VW. When you buy a Legacy, what you get is still a Legacy, regardless of trim level.

And when you buy a 328xi, what you get is still a purse.

Glad we had this talk.

Archived