LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

And when you buy a 328xi, what you get is still a purse.

Glad we had this talk.

Well, if that's what a 328xi is, then I guess a Legacy -- any version, because they look pretty much the same -- is grandma's crochet bag. Tarting up a Legacy with hood scoops, different wheels, rear spoiler, body kit, lowering, etc. is just putting some pretty embroidery on the bag.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if that's what a 328xi is, then I guess a Legacy -- any version, because they look pretty much the same -- is grandma's crochet bag. Tarting up a Legacy with hood scoops, different wheels, rear spoiler, body kit, lowering, etc. is just putting some pretty embroidery on the bag.

Not quite. Does looking the same, make them the same? Performance is what separates the 335 and the M from being the purse that the 328xi is. Just like performance is what separates the LGT from the "crochet bag" that the Legacy is. The Legacy is a little more practical than a crochet bag, though. I'd call it more of a backpack. The 328xi is not more practical than a purse.

To be fair, around here I see way more blue-hairs driving Camrys and Corollas than Subarus.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Now that you mention it, it's been a LONG time since I've seen a Town Car.

Now, I'm sure I'll notice a thousand on my way to work.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not quite. Does looking the same, make them the same? Performance is what separates the 335 and the M from being the purse that the 328xi is. Just like performance is what separates the LGT from the "crochet bag" that the Legacy is. The Legacy is a little more practical than a crochet bag, though. I'd call it more of a backpack. The 328xi is not more practical than a purse.

To be fair, around here I see way more blue-hairs driving Camrys and Corollas than Subarus.

With the 328, you seem to be going against the majority of auto writers, who praise its handling. I've driven a 328 and its handling is much better than my '08 Legacy -- as it should be for the big price difference. I mention this because, in '08 at least, Subaru put the same suspension on base, Limited and GT Legacys, ostensibly to save money. So, if you plunked down more bucks for the GT in order to get "performance," Subaru was not exactly forthcoming in letting you know that your suspension was actually no better than the much cheaper cars. I can't speak to the latest generation Legacys, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same sharing between models. This policy seems to be less honest than BMW, where there's a clear distinction in the suspensions between say, a 328 and an M model.

LGTs may be nice cars and good value, but if they handle the same as my Limited, then it's no wonder that so many people want to do suspension mods. And, of course, if you have to do mods, you narrow the price gap with a 3-series.

As far as Subaru drivers in my area are concerned, I'll repeat my claim that many of them seem as old as dirt.

You seemed to have missed the comparison article of the Legacy GT to a 325. Praise handling? The Subaru stomps the BMW.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/all-wheel-drive-sport-sedans

Comparison to a 325 with no sports package, which are notoriously slower than 328 still matched up quite well to the spec b.

Matched up quite well? The Spec-B was 1.1 seconds faster around the auto-x course, and destroyed the BMW in most other test.

"driving excitement". Subaru = 20/20. BMW = 15.7/20

"engine". Subaru = 20/20. BMW = 14.8/20

"handling". Subaru = 19.6/20. BMW = 18.5/20

"exterior styling". Subaru = 14.5/15. BMW = 11.8/15

"interior styling". Subaru = 12.7/15. BMW = 11.6/15

The Subaru was second to the Audi by only 1.3pts, but ahead of the third place BMW by more than 14 points.

With the 328, you seem to be going against the majority of auto writers, who praise its handling. I've driven a 328 and its handling is much better than my '08 Legacy

Those auto writers are praising sport package equipped cars with summer tires. Having owned a sport package equipped 325i and having driven loaners with the standard suspension and tires, there is a HUGE difference.

The AWD BMWs don't have as aggressive sports packages as the RWD cars, but there is nonetheless a big difference in going from crappy 205/5516s to the optional 17s, even without the suspension tuning on RWD cars and their 225/45 and 255/40 staggered tires.

You seemed to have missed the comparison article of the Legacy GT to a 325. Praise handling? The Subaru stomps the BMW.

Download the test panel. The BMW was equipped with the $1200 sport package--225/45/17s, and sport seats.

I wonder how it would have done with the standard suspension??

With the 328, you seem to be going against the majority of auto writers, who praise its handling. I've driven a 328 and its handling is much better than my '08 Legacy -- as it should be for the big price difference. I mention this because, in '08 at least, Subaru put the same suspension on base, Limited and GT Legacys, ostensibly to save money. So, if you plunked down more bucks for the GT in order to get "performance," Subaru was not exactly forthcoming in letting you know that your suspension was actually no better than the much cheaper cars. I can't speak to the latest generation Legacys, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same sharing between models. This policy seems to be less honest than BMW, where there's a clear distinction in the suspensions between say, a 328 and an M model.

LGTs may be nice cars and good value, but if they handle the same as my Limited, then it's no wonder that so many people want to do suspension mods. And, of course, if you have to do mods, you narrow the price gap with a 3-series.

As far as Subaru drivers in my area are concerned, I'll repeat my claim that many of them seem as old as dirt.

When you find yourself in a hole the first thing you should do is stop digging. Posts like this only reinforce the stereotype that BMW drivers only care about image. It's becoming pretty clear that you fit the mold of the typical BMW driver.

Download the test panel. The BMW was equipped with the $1200 sport package--225/45/17s, and sport seats.

I wonder how it would have done with the standard suspension??

:lol:

And it lost that badly against the "bad" Spec-B. So fail.

I had an E34 BMW, 1990. easiest thing to work on in the world but the newer ones....good luck doing anything yourself. You'd be paying an arm and a leg just to do a tuneup

On the new BMWs you MUST go to the dealership to replace the battery and their isn't even a dip stick on the engine to check the oil. Adding insult to injury is iDrive, retarded counter-intuitive electronic shift lever, and horrible run-flat tires. But for image buyers that would never think of getting their fingers greasy, it doesn't matter to them.

When you find yourself in a hole the first thing you should do is stop digging. Posts like this only reinforce the stereotype that BMW drivers only care about image. It's becoming pretty clear that you fit the mold of the typical BMW driver.

I haven't owned a Bimmer for nine years. And, if you haven't noticed, essentially all cars are bought and sold to fit an image, i.e., the Outback for the active, outdoor type, etc., etc. From some of the posts in this thread, I'm getting the feeling that some LGTs are bought by BMW wannabees who can't scrape up the funds and are, thus, green with envy over those who can. Too bad. They should just enjoy what they have. So many cars are so good today that you don't have to be rich to own a decent ride.

BTW, I took a look at the specs for the latest generation Legacys and Subaru makes no mention of any chassis differences on the various models, although wheels and brakes are upgraded for the LGT. That means those who plunk down $30K+ for LGT "performance" (another image thing) are getting grandma's $21K chassis. At least when BMW charges you a premium for an M, you get more handling mods than just wheels and brakes.

I will agree with the posters who say the German cars are getting too complicated. As one who owns a German car with an engine that can only be serviced from underneath and where the battery is locked in the trunk if it goes dead, I can speak to that issue firsthand.

:lol:

And it lost that badly against the "bad" Spec-B. So fail.

Some might call that ancient history. Plus, the Spec B had different shocks and springs, as well as the STi's front suspension. It was not grandma's chassis. It would be interesting to see how a 328xi and an LGT would match up today. With the horsepower difference, the LGT appears to be much faster off the line. I wonder how they'd compare in the twisties.

BTW, I took a look at the specs for the latest generation Legacys and Subaru makes no mention of any chassis differences on the various models, although wheels and brakes are upgraded for the LGT. That means those who plunk down $30K+ for LGT "performance" (another image thing) are getting grandma's $21K chassis with a turbo motor. At least when BMW charges you a premium for an M, you get more handling mods than just wheels and brakes.

fixed

Some might call that ancient history. Plus, the Spec B had different shocks and springs, as well as the STi's front suspension. It was not grandma's chassis. It would be interesting to see how a 328xi and an LGT would match up today. With the horsepower difference, the LGT appears to be much faster off the line. I wonder how they'd compare in the twisties.

You realize that the 5th gen matches the spec B, branded shocks and all, right?

Legacy GT: http://www.insideline.com/subaru/legacy/2010/2010-subaru-legacy-25-gt-full-test-and-video.html

2012 328i (not awd): http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-series/2012/2012-bmw-328i-sedan-full-test-and-video.html

Cliff notes: LGT marginally faster--14.0@99.3; turbo 4 6-spd 328i--14.1@98.9. LGT marginally faster 600 ft-slalom 67.7 v 67.1. Braking is a draw. The BMW pulls an extra .04 on the skidpad. And the BMW costs $50K to the $33K Subaru. I don't doubt that the new 328i is a better car than my LGT. I just don't know that it is $17,000 better.

some LGTs are bought by BMW wannabees who can't scrape up the funds

Talk about wannabee, he drives 2.5i and Boxster. What I'm thinking he can't scrape up funds for LGT or 911.

Newsflash for you, anybody who can buy LGT can afford 328xi there isn't that much of a difference in price, only LGTs are much harder to find.

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=03106&endYear=2008&modelCode1=328XI&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=57162587&startYear=2008&makeCode1=BMW&maxMileage=45000&searchRadius=500&listingId=319917173&Log=0

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=03106&endYear=2008&modelCode1=LEGACY&startYear=2008&makeCode1=SUB&searchRadius=500&listingId=319319482&Log=0

Talk about wannabee, he drives 2.5i and Boxster. What I'm thinking he can't scrape up funds for LGT or 911.

Yeah, and too bad you're limited to a four-year-old LGT instead of a Boxster S and two Subarus, all bought new with cash, but that's the hand life has apparently dealt you.

fixed

You realize that the 5th gen matches the spec B, branded shocks and all, right?

Legacy GT: http://www.insideline.com/subaru/legacy/2010/2010-subaru-legacy-25-gt-full-test-and-video.html

2012 328i (not awd): http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-series/2012/2012-bmw-328i-sedan-full-test-and-video.html

Cliff notes: LGT marginally faster--14.0@99.3; turbo 4 6-spd 328i--14.1@98.9. LGT marginally faster 600 ft-slalom 67.7 v 67.1. Braking is a draw. The BMW pulls an extra .04 on the skidpad. And the BMW costs $50K to the $33K Subaru. I don't doubt that the new 328i is a better car than my LGT. I just don't know that it is $17,000 better.

This is retarded. You can get a used camaro that costs 10K and will go 2x faster than these cars. But it will have nothing. BMW 3,5,7 series are not about performance, they are about luxury. If you want performance from BMW you get an M3. End of discussion.

BMW 3,5,7 series are not about performance, they are about image.

Fify.

Yeah, and too bad you're limited to a four-year-old LGT instead of a Boxster S and two Subarus, all bought new with cash, but that's the hand life has apparently dealt you.

I bought both of our cars brand new, cash. What's your point?

And, if you haven't noticed, essentially all cars are bought and sold to fit an image, i.e., the Outback for the active, outdoor type, etc., etc.

This is complete crap. Also, aren't you driving an Outback? What "image" are you going for with that?

Well. This tells me all I need to know about you, sir. Nice attitude.

EDIT: Also, in the interests of saving everyone here some time and aggravation...this is probably not the forum on which to start throwing darts at "four-year-old" LGTs. Take your Boxster S somewhere else, dude. Nobody who knows anything about cars will be impressed by it.

Archived