DeathD

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you serious?

I know you're not serious.:lol:

Me? But of course I am! I think that guy is lost. :lol:

I took it as sarcasm personally...

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

He's been waiting on this car forever and jumped on it when it came out. I have a hard time believeing he just walked away. :iam:

I'll let him answer his own mystery he's created at this point though. :lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• I Donated
the real problem with the BRZ is its not a subaru. all subaru's have awd and thats just that. But i must say its probably my favorite toyota hahaha.

Sigh, here we go again.

The 90-95 FWD Legacys and the 93-95 FWD Imprezas are clearly not Subarus. :rolleyes: Neither are all the Subarus from the first decade of the company's existence.

The development work on the FR-S and BRZ was done almost exclusively by Subaru. It has a boxer engine. Tell me again why it's not a Subaru?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu7flfI6emI]Subaru AWD commercial - YouTube[/ame]

"Its what makes a subaru a subaru"

hence a car built as colab, with subaru and toyota, without awd is not a subaru. its a toyota with an odd symbol on it

Sigh, here we go again.

The 90-95 FWD Legacys and the 93-95 FWD Imprezas are clearly not Subarus. :rolleyes: Neither are all the Subarus from the first decade of the company's existence.

The development work on the FR-S and BRZ was done almost exclusively by Subaru. It has a boxer engine. Tell me again why it's not a Subaru?

and if you need some more examples just head to youtube

I suppose that since a horizontally-opposed air-cooled engine sitting over the rear axle is what makes a Porsche a Porsche, the 914, 924, 944, 928, 968, Boxster, Cayman, Carrera GT, Panamera, Cayenne, and 996 and later 911s aren't Porsches. :rolleyes:

Subaru pushed AWD because their bread and butter was outdoorsy folks who wanted to feel like they could go anywhere, even if "anywhere" was just the local Whole Foods on a dark and stormy night. Those people are still around, but Subaru started attracting a new kind of buyer in the 2000s with the WRX and STI. Subaru has two images now, the granola one and this new sporty car one, and they're looking to expand the latter with the BRZ.

Companies are allowed to change their brand identities. Let it go.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

• I Donated
hence a car built as colab, with subaru and toyota, without awd is not a subaru. its a toyota with an odd symbol on it

It's barely a collaboration. Subaru did almost all the development work. Tell me again how it's just a Toyota if Subaru did the engineering? :rolleyes:

I suppose that since a horizontally-opposed air-cooled engine sitting over the rear axle is what makes a Porsche a Porsche, the 914, 924, 944, 928, 968, Boxster, Cayman, Carrera GT, Panamera, Cayenne, and 996 and later 911s aren't Porsches. :rolleyes:

Subaru pushed AWD because their bread and butter was outdoorsy folks who wanted to feel like they could go anywhere, even if "anywhere" was just the local Whole Foods on a dark and stormy night. Those people are still around, but Subaru started attracting a new kind of buyer in the 2000s with the WRX and STI. Subaru has two images now, the granola one and this new sporty car one, and they're looking to expand the latter with the BRZ.

Companies are allowed to change their brand identities. Let it go.

Good, insightful, post. That's exactly Subaru's plan with the BRZ.

My own, personal, preference of my STi over the BRZ had to do with multiple factors. AWD wasn't one of them, nor the lack of a turbo.

But I did consider the power inadequate... again, personally. I've spent a lifetime modifying cars for more performance, especially horsepower. This BRZ wasn't going to be one of them. According to Cobb when I called them, there were no plans in the works for a tuning option. I wasn't happy about that.

Nor was I happy about finding out this will be the only year BRZ that will have a Toyobaru engine. Next will have not only a Subaru engine, it will also have a Subaru DI system. Anyone who has seen a dynograph can see that the current system isn't optimal, one has to believe a complete Subaru DI solution to be much better.

Also, owning an STi sets a standard in terms of other things the BRZ "lacked." Brakes, wheels, tires, for example. I prefer to buy a car where I don't have to start so far down the ladder of modifications anymore... my 05 LGT taught me that. And as slick as the Aisin 6MT is, and it is, it is also torque limited.

So, rather than my giving up on the BRZ, I'm waiting until it becomes a whole Subaru, with engineered upgrades to a more sophisticated level of performance, with options for engine upgrades and customizable tuning. A FI option is preferred, SC or turbo. This BRZ was a magnificant promise, but stopped short of fulfilling my expectations.

Convenient excuse.. molded to fit his idea of what a Subaru <should> be.

Lulz.

I'm curious as to how it'll drive compared to my S2000.

probably better and that's no dis on the s2k...car is so balanced out of the box. i loved it.

probably better and that's no dis on the s2k...car is so balanced out of the box. i loved it.

No offense taken.. I might get a BRZ for when it's raining and drive the 'vert when it's sunny. ;D

The BRZ's brakes are more than adequate. They're bigger and better than a stock WRX's, and those are also adequate despite the WRX being several hundred pounds heavier. I simply prefer Brembo-sized brakes now.

Also, when you see the BRZ in person, you are immediately aware that the tires are... skinny, frankly, despite being the same size as an LGT's, for example. On the wide, low BRZ those tires look skinny and out of place. Everyone knows that. Bigger wheels and wider tires are among the first changes to be made to a BRZ. Obviously, therefore, once those changes are made, those stock "more than adequate" brakes look anemic behind those new shoes. In the bigger picture it isn't merely the functional capacity of any one component that's important.

With the tires, wheels, and brakes taken care of, there sits a car that looks the part... but because of those very modifications is now even more lacking in ability to back its looks up with performance. Its bite is now even less able to match its bark. A poser caught between a rock and a hard place. Not my cup of tea.

Compare that to what I drive every day. Excellence in every aspect. Its bite commensurate with its considerable bark. Modifications throughout that enhance it all. Looks I've had to dumb down to minimize attention by removing its wing, yet intrinsically still able to generate conversations and challenges every time it's out. You could say I love this car. It satisfies me on so many levels.

The 2013 BRZ is a sneak preview to excellence. The 2011 STi Limited in my garage IS excellence.

"Its what makes a subaru a subaru"

and if you need some more examples just head to youtube

I thought love is what makes a subaru, a subaru :rolleyes:

Archived