LegacyGT.com

BRZ video

DeathD

I'm waiting for the Tuners to get a hold of it and see what they can do with one.

I agree with most of the comments here. Was expecting more...but thinking about it...they let us down with the 5th gen styling too. Why should I have of expected more.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7500 rpm will last a very long time on this engine. It's an engineering design for the cost and performance constraints of the design. It could rev to 10k and cost $5k more a unit and only live to 120k miles, or it could rev to 7500 and last 300k miles. (hypothetical values).

That being said this thing could be better with 250 7000 rpm turbo ponies or 200 8500rpm ponies. I will hold judgment until it's out though!

Right on the money. Of course efficiency (mpgs) is a big part of this equation.

Speedo goes to 260kph/~162mph. Even with 200hp and 2800lbm I'm pretty sure Toyota's injected interpretation of the Subaru 2.0 can't get up to 145mph+. Speedo leads me to believe they're teasing; "turbo can't fit"=>BS. Subaru would never agree to do this if they couldn't sell a turbo BRX/BRZX/BRZ STI. [unless Toyota wanted their boxer really, _really_ bad ($$$) who knows.]

Well aware that 9k tach does not mean where the rev limiter is. I was only mentioning it because it shows potential. Maybe I am giving it more credit than it deserves?

The only reason I am excited to see something like this is because it has certain characteristics of my first gen M3. Car weighs approx 2800lbs, approx 225hp at the crank, and a slightly raised rev limit at 7800rpm, a great car in the twisties. Has no power down low, but once you get that motor in the upper revs, I am able to keep up with 335is to about 125mph before it runs out of breath. There is a reason this car is still considered a benchmark in certain aspects after 25 years.

It's not always how much faster you are than the next car. It's about the driving experience that counts, to me at least. There will always be a faster car, and if you want a big power and speed, Subaru and Toyota are the last places to be looking. I rather have a car that communicates through the seat and steering wheel to the driver, and not how fast a car can hit numbers. Call me a different way of thinking.

There is always a weapon of choice when it comes to cars. There are areas that this car will shine, and some areas where it will lack. Until these cars actually hit our shores and people able to actually test drive them, you just never know what the full potential can be. Not everything performs how it should on paper. I will take the car for what it is, not what it could be because there is literally no end to that. They could come out with a turbo, but if not, then so be it.

:D Couldn't agree more. It's not about speed. It's about feeling. True with old muscle cars up through today's stuff. One guy in a '70 GTO awesome restoration was next to me at a light. I put down my window and said "awesome!" +thumbs up. He said blah blah, "...it's not that fast". He was almost ashamed! I said: "It's not about speed. About feeling!" Then with a big smile he said, "You're right!" Then on green light he throttled that beauty V8 and rode off into the sunset like a boss.

p.s. (If you don't agree with that philosophy, I respectfully suggest you take a moment and focus more on the man in the vanity mirror and less on the no-name in a ______ in the lane next to you. Or just wait a few years, you'll see.)

New info on the FR-S, should translate to BRZ as well: http://jalopnik.com/5864045/scion-fr+s-first-live-photos-and-details

200 hp at 7,000 RPM and 151 lb-ft of torque at 6,600 RPM.
If I were to get one I'd honestly have to have more power. I had a Toyota MR-2 Spyder. It was like no other car through the corners at 2195 pounds. Only 138 hp and 125 tq so it doesn't have quite the power to weight ratio as the FR-S/BRZ will likely have even at 2700 pounds but the car was still incredibly fun to drive. I still hate that I sold it but at the same time it needed more power for me to have much more fun with it. Cornering is a blast but it gets tiring after a while not having all that much power.

Having that experience, I could only make myself by one of these if they were making more power. Just my opinion. :D

Well aware that 9k tach does not mean where the rev limiter is. I was only mentioning it because it shows potential. Maybe I am giving it more credit than it deserves?

Of course you are giving it more credit than it deserves. Cars, forever, have had arbitrarily high rev limiters and speedos. It indicates nothing about the vehicle, but clearly puts a "performance" image in the minds of some. It's nothing but a marketing ploy.

The only reason I am excited to see something like this is because it has certain characteristics of my first gen M3. Car weighs approx 2800lbs, approx 225hp at the crank, and a slightly raised rev limit at 7800rpm, a great car in the twisties. Has no power down low, but once you get that motor in the upper revs, I am able to keep up with 335is to about 125mph before it runs out of breath. There is a reason this car is still considered a benchmark in certain aspects after 25 years.

Don't hold your breath about anything, ever, approaching the wonder of the E30 M3. It's been 25 years, and no one (not even BMW) has made a sports car as good as the E30 M3. Lots have had features similar to the E30 M3, but none have ever been the same. It hasn't been done yet, and Subayota isn't going to do it next year.

It's not always how much faster you are than the next car. It's about the driving experience that counts, to me at least. There will always be a faster car, and if you want a big power and speed, Subaru and Toyota are the last places to be looking. I rather have a car that communicates through the seat and steering wheel to the driver, and not how fast a car can hit numbers. Call me a different way of thinking.

I agree. But I'm not interested in buying a slow car. If I wanted a driving experience, I'd get an S2k or Miata. Why? Because they have MASSIVE aftermarkets and a knowledgebase the size of Europe. The Subayota MIGHT touch that, but it's unlikely to happen right away. If the invisa-shots indicate anything, it's clear the car was primarily focused at looking cool and performing is secondary.

I predict the BRZ to be the RX8 of the Subayota family. A good idea that just won't pan out like it could have.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's not looking great.

There are two categories of enthusiast. Those who like driving slow cars, fast. And those that like driving fast cars, fast. If I'm buying a car of the BRZ form factor, I'd prefer it to fit the second category.

I want an STi version of the BRZ, not the N/A version. No matter how good the N/A version is, it's not going to be better than a faster version of the same. It's the 2.5i vs. LGT debate. I'd want the LGT, not the 2.5i.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

2.0L cars are so 80's. Light maybe, but nimble to, I don't think so. Pass... not for me, thanks.

you and all ppl who whine about small engine, rwd, low hp... need this

http://dantri4.vcmedia.vn/oEj8Djn5XzGK0De5Uol4/Image/2011/11/Tuan6/03wrxstis206_3e39e.jpg

http://dantri4.vcmedia.vn/oEj8Djn5XzGK0De5Uol4/Image/2011/11/Tuan6/04wrxstis206_b3faf.jpg

http://dantri4.vcmedia.vn/oEj8Djn5XzGK0De5Uol4/Image/2011/11/Tuan6/21wrxstis206_31d60.jpg

http://dantri4.vcmedia.vn/oEj8Djn5XzGK0De5Uol4/Image/2011/11/Tuan6/27wrxstis206_f024e.jpg

http://dantri4.vcmedia.vn/oEj8Djn5XzGK0De5Uol4/Image/2011/11/Tuan6/02wrxstis206_4d8be.jpg

http://dantri4.vcmedia.vn/oEj8Djn5XzGK0De5Uol4/Image/2011/11/Tuan6/12wrxstis206_ef43f.jpg

2012 WRX STI S206

While the S206 may look similar to a normal STI sedan on the outside (excluding the S206-specific 19-inch BBS wheels), the under-the-skin differences are substantial. The S206 starts with a bump in horsepower from 305 to 316 hp, while torque grows from 290 to 318 foot pounds.

The engine is hand-built, with pistons, connecting rods, and the crankshaft all balanced before assembly. A ball-bearing turbocharger is used, and the ECU is reprogrammed to STI specifications to boost mid-range torque.

The suspension gets reworked with Bilstein dampers, STI coil springs, a flexible shock tower bar and a flexible rear support. The unique BBS wheels get wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sport rubber, ensuring that the S206 returns some impressive lateral acceleration.

All points are valid and I do agree. And of course the 2.5i vs LGT holds very true, but for

some reason I see it as a different logic. I bought the LGT for it's sleeper qualities.

The BRZ is supposedly built on handling. In an area where I have nice twisty roads as well

as some mountain roads, I would love a car that can carry speed through turns. This may

not be a good car for those with a lot of open road where mashing the throttle is the way

of enjoyment.

In a way, I can see this as a reincarnation of the 2.5RS coupe in RWD form. The 2.5RS

only had 165hp, weighed about the same, but had a power sapping AWD system. People

loved the car and they have a cult following.

Let's hope in two years they will have a turbo version.

What's the point? To be 20 years late to the Miata game?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What's the point? To be 20 years late to the Miata game?

The car is exactly what they said it would be from the start 200hp, light weight w/ a focus on handling. Majority of people here and other message boards are acting like this was announced to be a z/Rx8/Mustang fighter.

It's not going to be the fastest thing and never was supposed to be. If a Civic Si can be a pretty fun car to drive, picture it 200-300lbs lighter w/ a little more tq and RWD.

I agree that many people miss the point of the BRZ. IMO, this car is going to serve a similar role as the Miata in local autocross events, albeit with a substantially better power to weight ratio. 200 hp and 2,700 lbs is 13.5 lbs/hp. That's roughly the same power to weight ratio as a stock LGT Limited wagon (3,435/250 = 13.74 lbs/hp), but with far less torque. Also, the rear seats are purportedly designed to fold down and provide sufficient space, when combined with the trunk, to fit four wheels and a helmet.

If highway mpg can approach mid-30s, and I see no reason why it can't with direct injection and only 2 liters of displacement, I would buy this car as a commuter that I could have fun with on the weekends.

That's roughly the same power to weight ratio as a stock LGT Limited wagon (3,435/250 = 13.74 lbs/hp), but with far less torque.

BRZ's would have similar torque at the wheels per weight (if BRZ was geared the same) due to RWD vs AWD. I haven't researched how it's gonna be geared, but I suspect the gearing would be suited for acceleration at the track, vs in traffic.

Sadly Hyundi Genesis Coupe 2.0T > BRZ

2013 GenCoup, right?

a) I disagree

b) suggest waiting for 2013 BRZ.

+1 on many people missing the point of the BRZ. You guys have to remember that it's mechanically the same as the Scion FR-S, which is the reinvented AE86. That means it has to be light, handle well, and in a sense, underpowered. The reward of this car should be the driving experience, not who you're gonna beat at the lights.

I don't think it's meant to compete with the Miata. The wheelbase is much longer so it should be less "snappy" and more gradual at it's limits for easy drifting. I don't think it's meant to compete with the Genesis (a RWD Eclipse) either. I think the Genesis is after the 370Z and Mustang.

I agree with system60 on this one. The closest car you can compare it to right now is the Civic Si, but in RWD form.

Oh boy! An RWD Civic SI!

Pass. I'm not interested in a $27k, RWD Civic.

Think about this. Everyone saying how great this low-powered "handling" car is... What are you going to say to the STI/TRD version? "no thanks. I'll keep my slower version."

Oh boy! An RWD Civic SI!

Think about this. Everyone saying how great this low-powered "handling" car is... What are you going to say to the STI/TRD version? "no thanks. I'll keep my slower version."

umm... the brz will more than likely own your Outback. This car is light on torque but great on power to weight. Your Outback will be like a barge to a go cart in comparison.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

umm... the brz will more than likely own your Outback. This car is light on torque but great on power to weight. Your Outback will be like a barge to a go cart in comparison.

Power to weight?

Hmmm. The OBXT weighs hardly more than an LGT. I made 263whp and 337 ft-lbs. a significant increase over a stock LGT. And it's a station wagon.

If the BRZ just barely contends with a stock LGT for power to weight, why would my faster Outback lag behind?

Cool story bro. Compare a Miata contender with a 5-passenger station wagon.

Oh boy! An RWD Civic SI!

wow, over exaggerate much. Yes RWD civic minus 200-300lbs so low 6 to high 5sec 0-60. And 27k is supposed still and even then that's for the fully loaded version. If its 24k for the base Subaru with nav the base scion will probably be like 22k.

My whole main point is that all of a sudden you're all butthurt about the power now even though its what it was announced to have since the beginning.

People also have to realize this is a niche car for Subaru. They won't sell that many of

them anyway you look at it. Even if it came with a turbo. Most Subaru guys will not let

their AWD grip go because most like the secure feeling. Those who are pretty much

Subaru or AWD people will have an uneasy feeling when stepping down into these. I can

sense some of these wrapped around trees or telephone poles. If the handling is what

they claim it to be, I see why it wouldn't be a good car.

There are plenty of all motor Hondas that can put a whopping on a decent amount of

cars on the road. I am not saying there are many as there are too many

wannabe tuners out there, but well built ones are very quick. And this is coming from a

non-Honda guy.

Anything weighing under 3000lbs (kinda sad) is considered light these days.

With less weight means less power needed to get it going. With motor work

and tuning, the BRZ could be a great weekend and track/autox car. This is a

momentum car and will teach the driver, just like any underpowered car. Hell,

a Toyota Camry V6 would easily pull away at the stop light. If being able to

pull away faster than the car next to you puts a grin on your face, then this

car is not for you. And with a decent aftermarket and factory backing (TRD/Sti),

the performance parts support should be there.

I am not saying you can make this car into a monster, but rather a well rounded car.

A lot of people won't understand it. There will always be haters. I remember

when the E9x M3 came out and everyone ripped on it. When they finally

drove it, they were blown away.

This will become a cult status car in the future.

Archived