LegacyGT.com

BRZ video

DeathD

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will reserve judgment until I actually sit in one and, especially, drive one.

My wife owns a Mini Cooper S, the supercharged version. My Legacy eats it for breakfast in a straight line but overall, that car is in a different realm altogether as far as driving feel, personality, handling, etc etc. IIRC it's at 168hp and 2500lb curb weight. So I, for one "get" the point of low power (relatively speaking), light weight, great handling cars.

It's not all about 0-60 and stoplight drag races.

Every time anything new comes out the Subaru gate, there is a lot of debate. Nothing new under the sun.

+1, i definitely agree. especially with regards to its in-person experience. on paper you can never describe much about a car's character.

and the mini cooper is a good example of a super fun car to drive with underwhelming stats. i think in some ways the BRZ may be the same.

What's wrong with a high power, light weight, great handling car?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I could see the Toyota version taking the place of the Scion TC and selling reasonably well (at least as well as the TC, probably better). But I can't see Subaru selling many of these coupes where there are faster sedans and wagons sitting on the showroom floor right next to them, for just a little bit more money.

But if Toyota really produces a supercharged version, and if a company like Cobb figures out how to tune the ECU, this platform could get really interesting for enthusiasts.

the BRZ is a poor TC replacement. the reason the TC sold was because it was under $20k it was an economy car that was appealing to a your crowd. The BRZ is priced out of the TC buyers range. it was the same for the hyundai tiburon vs. the Genesis coupe. the tib was a sub $20k compat coupe with sporty styling, but still FWD for the noobs, while the gen coupe was over $23k base and a more true enthusiast platform.

What's wrong with a high power, light weight, great handling car?

nothing is wrong with it, example: mclaren mp4-12c

but for the BRZ being what it is....it seems like it could be fun. i think we can all lament about its mediocre power stats but that won't change what the final product is. so we should just enjoy it for what it can offer at its price point.

edit: added video, looks like fun to me

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jr-iYAtpWM&feature=player_embedded]Test driving toyota 86@fuji speedway oct 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Just did a quick search on youtube for the E30 M3 on track and perfect example where

a great handling car with 4 cylinders can do heavy damage to other more powerful cars.

Obviously horsepower does help, but if you don't have enough room to put it all down,

then it's kinda useless. In the end, this debate is pointless as it is all speculation. Those

who want power will think this car is stupid. Those who like handling will welcome it. No

car will gain universal praise.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlO3dPARV8]My BMW E30 M3 at Thunderhill Raceway - YouTube[/ame]

And for those not buying a track-only car, the videos are more or less moot. Especially since driver ability is not taken into consideration.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Back several years ago, Subaru offered FWD, along with AWD vehicles, when they found out most of their customers wanted AWD, they switch to just making AWD vehicles. This isn't the first time the have offered just two wheel drive vehicles. ( In the US )

The only thing that I don't understand is why would Subaru make a rear wheel drive car where all of their cars are all wheel drive. Subaru is known for AWD! Other than that, the car looks pretty cool.

Subaru still makes and sells vehicles with FWD and/or Inline engines elsewhere in Asia and Europe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Toyota owns about 20% of Subaru, and they wanted a replacement for their retired rear wheel drive Corollas, and Celica, this was their best option to work with Subaru and share costs. THAT IS WHY THE CARS ARE BASICALLY THE SAME. Just minor differences. Subaru designed the cars, and Subaru did engineering. That is why it's going to be difficult to mod the 2.0 boxer engine, only real option is to Turbo/ Super charge the engine. I've owned a 1999 Impreza RS Coupe, and have looked far and wide on modifications that can be done, and their really isn't that much out their, if you want to stay N/A. You can do a few things, but your net gain is not going to worth your monitary outlay.

Subaru still makes and sells vehicles with FWD and/or Inline engines elsewhere in Asia and Europe.

I'm sure they do, we are discussing the US market aren't we??? Many car manufactures make different models in Europe and Asia, but it doesn't do us any good, they aren't sold here in the US !!!!

the BRZ is a poor TC replacement. the reason the TC sold was because it was under $20k it was an economy car that was appealing to a your crowd. The BRZ is priced out of the TC buyers range. it was the same for the hyundai tiburon vs. the Genesis coupe. the tib was a sub $20k compat coupe with sporty styling, but still FWD for the noobs, while the gen coupe was over $23k base and a more true enthusiast platform.

Interesting, I didn't realize there was that much of a price difference.

I'm sure they do, we are discussing the US market aren't we??? Many car manufactures make different models in Europe and Asia, but it doesn't do us any good, they aren't sold here in the US !!!!

The question was why would Subaru make a RWD car... not why would they offer a RWD vehicle in the US.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They BRZ doesn't replace the tC. It slots above it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just did a quick search on youtube for the E30 M3 on track and perfect example where

a great handling car with 4 cylinders can do heavy damage to other more powerful cars.

Obviously horsepower does help, but if you don't have enough room to put it all down,

then it's kinda useless. In the end, this debate is pointless as it is all speculation. Those

who want power will think this car is stupid. Those who like handling will welcome it. No

car will gain universal praise.

Wrong. A car with lots of plenty of power, that also handles well will get nearly universal praise so long as it doesn't have bad habits like randomly catching on fire, shedding parts, or costing $100K. :lol:

Archived