LegacyGT.com

Performance Mods for the 3.6R

The stock front bar is 23mm. The new one is supposedly 26MM. 3mm for a sway bar is huge. If you really need new stiffer struts Id go with the konis that are in the making. Koni stock replacements have always been known to be a tad stiffer than stock. Those along with a slightly bigger sway bar would be ideal for a smooth daily driver. Plus subaru stated that 40% of body roll has been removed. Body roll is attributed to sway bars. Damping and up/down movement is attributed to springs and shocks. So if they are referring to body roll I would think the front bar was the main difference making that claim.

I've been under the car and I don't see how a 26mm bar is going to fit. As it is now the 23mm is almost rubbing. It so odd to me that they are going to go 26 up front and 16 in the rear. Going to be loosy goosy in the butt. Yes "sway" bars handle sway and I agree with you, but springs/struts contribute as well during lean. The thicker sway bar will also strengthen that right to left connection limiting the independent suspension a bit...making the ride a tad more rough.

Koni's....still need to hack up the stockers? No thanks.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive had the bar out before. it can def fit a 26mm in there. im guessing thats where the majority of the stiffness came from. someone already posted on this forum of how to make there 2013 handle better and the one i drove didnt feel much different.

How had of a job was it to get the old bar out?

ive had the bar out before. it can def fit a 26mm in there. im guessing thats where the majority of the stiffness came from. someone already posted on this forum of how to make there 2013 handle better and the one i drove didnt feel much different.

^ you drove a '13 3.6? If so...how did the suspension behave? In my case' date=' I think my car is overall smooth, but when you hit some rough stuff I'm surprised how jittery it is.[/quote']

It was much better especially on the highway. Still floaty though. My car was almost undriveable on the highway before my RCE springs. Doesnt sound like its gonna fall apart on bumps but it was also a new car so take that for what its worth

It was much better especially on the highway. Still floaty though. My car was almost undriveable on the highway before my RCE springs. Doesnt sound like its gonna fall apart on bumps but it was also a new car so take that for what its worth

Are you running on stock struts? Did you ever have the shimmy issue?

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Thanks. Sounds like they stuck to the typical soft route but did a better job of matching springs/struts. Maybe they just put the 10-12 GT set up on :lol:

The stock front bar is 23mm. The new one is supposedly 26MM. 3mm for a sway bar is huge.
"huge" is relative - 16 to 19 is a 99% increase in torsional stiffness, but 23 to 26 is only 60%. (still worth doing, imho - I'm waiting on the part number, but from the sound of it, changing the front sway with the 2.5 is less than fun (looking at it, you'd think you could wiggle it out of there, but apparently not... looks easier on the 3.6 since the bar appears pretty straight as compared to the mess in the 2.5...)

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread as it came up on a google search.

If you want to find 3.6R mods, please look at

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-3-6r-mod-list-219254.html

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 2 years later...
Hey so i noticed a bunch of you guys were talking about exhaust/muffler systems in the 3.6r legacy. I own a 2011 legacy 3.6r and am looking for opinions on which exhaust system to buy. Im new to Subaru mods so a easy install would be great. i am also looking for a nice growl nothing to loud i just would like my engine to sound a little bit more mean. HP is not to big of a concern like i said my main goal is to make her sound more impressive. Thanks for the help!!!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...st-219254.html

that is where I would start. Guys have invidia, magnaflow, custom exhausts. It depends on what type of sound you want to hear. We take the CBE exhausts of a 5th Gen GT and cut about 6 inches to fit where our Y-pipe merges. Go take a look on the link above

And welcome to the forums

HP is not to big of a concern

What? :rolleyes:

Options:

Nameless 5" Muffler Axleback

HumbleRumble has a clip of this somewhere from his car...

Megan Racing WRX 08+

These fit with a little adjusting. Basically anything that's WRX 08+ fits with a small bit of work.

Perrin Axleback

You could always find something you like like some magnaflows and have a shop weld them up for you.

Shop around for prices. These aren't necessarily the cheapest places, just for reference.

I have the 5" muffler Nameless Axleback installed on my 3.6. No other power mods except AEM drop in filter. The 5" is the quietest option Nameless makes, with the 4" muffler being louder and the muffler delete being loudest. I love them. They sound fantastic, but even the 5" can be a bit loud at certain RPM. Here's three clips I've taken:

1. Right after install. Warm start revs, drive-bys, and idle: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKuYMohAByM/

2. Cold start, some small revs, one rev up to 4k: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtWpSOAT9N/

3. Warm star, hard revs, 4k rev limiter bounce: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMpCoAGgPn9/

If you're looking for subtle, Megan is probably the quietest bolt-up axleback option, followed by the Perrin. Both sound nice and smooth.

Actually, just a quick note: I checked Nameless' website, and apparently they are only doing the muffler deletes or the 5" muffler now, no more 4" muffler. And it looks like they finally got some pics up of the new single wall tips. https://shop.namelessperformance.com/2010-2014-legacy-gt-3-6r-axleback-exhaust/

Hey so i noticed a bunch of you guys were talking about exhaust/muffler systems in the 3.6r legacy. I own a 2011 legacy 3.6r and am looking for opinions on which exhaust system to buy. Im new to Subaru mods so a easy install would be great. i am also looking for a nice growl nothing to loud i just would like my engine to sound a little bit more mean. HP is not to big of a concern like i said my main goal is to make her sound more impressive. Thanks for the help!!!

I'm in the same boat. I'd like a different tone and maybe 20% louder. I've been considering a having an axle back made with a pair of Dynomax turbo mufflers. At this point I'm not ready to make the Raptor/XRT plunge but want to give the car a more sporty sound. I think most axle backs and catbacks are too loud and mostly design for LGT's turbo engine that has a different frequency and the turbo alone quiets down the exhaust. I had a Magnaflow in my Mazdaspeed6 and even with 1 cat and the turbo it was getting to be more than I wanted.

Archived