LegacyGT.com

Performance Mods for the 3.6R

Just thinking about the power issue.... thinking outside the box.... I presently drive a Altima SER and looked into something like this. The FWD VQ engine can't tolerate much, if any boost, so psi would be at about 5-8.... http://ststurbo.com/ Can the Subaru 3.6 handle something along these lines? Different way to set up a turbo system.....

I gave up on the above route (188k miles) as I am waiting for my 2012 LGT.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just thinking about the power issue.... thinking outside the box.... I presently drive a Altima SER and looked into something like this. The FWD VQ engine can't tolerate much, if any boost, so psi would be at about 5-8.... http://ststurbo.com/ Can the Subaru 3.6 handle something along these lines? Different way to set up a turbo system.....

I gave up on the above route (188k miles) as I am waiting for my 2012 LGT.

Nope

• 3 months later...
whats strange is they say these headers fit a 3.6r but when I look at the service manual it looks to me like the headers are now one long pipe with precats in them. I cant see the above bolting on unless you have a muffler shop cut the existing pipe. I could be wrong though

I'd want to see some comparison dyno charts before installing some headers, lots of times while things may look and sound better they really aren't. Sometimes they even make things worse...

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

I'd want to see some comparison dyno charts before installing some headers, lots of times while things may look and sound better they really aren't. Sometimes they even make things worse...

From their website: http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=70

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/images/kit_70_ub.jpg

These are for H6 3.0R, out of the box. Seems as if some minor exhaust fab could be done to make it work for the 3.6R.

ssmchmelcke's inquiry up North is a good one to see if they can fab one for the 3.6R. The H6'ers are at the same place the LGT, pre-DP were back in 2010. Sixspeedlegacy hand fabricated a 2.5" bellmouth DP for Waaazoo, followed by a 3" for my LGT; a total of four were made.

It's time for the 3.6R community to spread it's wings. This may be trial and error. Since there is no way to tune the 3.6R, it will be important to get on the dyno. My hunch is a throttle controller may be in the mix as well....

for those interested I got a response from techworks:

I could turn two systems around in about 3~4 weeks at best. I would have to make jigs as we don’t generally do one of systems anymore. We may have to get you to send us a tracing or pencil “rubbing of the port and flange stud locations to make flanges.

The reason the Aussie system is so short is that they provide you with an additional flange to fabricate the rest of the system back your self. If you did two systems, we could build them for about $945 without cats and $1230 with metal substrate high flow cats. These would be all stainless 304 construction, including flanges. Cats would be 409 stainless. The construction would be similar to that of the Raptor Supercharger headers with the exception that we always employ merge collectors in all of our designs. Please understand that our initial investment would be on the order of two or three thousand dollars to do this, so we have to jig up to make enough of them down the road to recoup our costs.

$1230 is a decent price.

While I agree with Minuccims, and I think its great there is starting to get some traction to the 3.6 market, I can't help but think of the Invidia thread and how it is so loud. Which leads me to reference this quote from Jace

You just went too far. Anytime you modify a car you have to think about what you want that car to do and base all of your mods around that. My first heavily modded car I went way too far and tried to make a racecar for the street. I ended up with a street car that sucked on city streets unless it was stop light to stop light and a race car that would kick ass unless it was racing a full race car. That car made some money, cost some money and taught me that you can go too far with a car.

I'm somewhat skeptical that tracings of your system is going to result in as much R&D as the OEM manifolds.

I to have been looking all over for some mods for my 3.6, have found nothing worth while. I did stumble across one thing during my google search it's a chip made by G Force. There claiming a 60hp gain but I find that unlikely, especially since it only cost $60. Anyone know anything bout this?

Archived