LegacyGT.com

Performance Mods for the 3.6R

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has been tried and tested... a million times. The RSX community is 10x larger than the LGT one believe me.

Love it or hate it, I made 225 whp with boltons and a tune. Pretty impressive if you ask me for a 2.0 N/A engine no?

Not disputing or hating honda's. I think they make great cars, but unless you testing the same car a few times you won't get accurate readings only relative ones. There are too many variables, Motor heat, variation within a dyno that along with the ECU relearning over time. With all that variation taken into account 12 might as well be zero. This goes for any dyno reading and is not particular to Hondas. I do think that tuning is the only real way to safely get anything significant. Numbers don't mean a lot to me though. The saying is you buy horsepower but drive torque. One of the reasons I like Subarus so much is they typically have the torque where you use it in real life.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

I don't know what to say... you clearly hadn't had the rsx for very long or just never bothered doing any research on clubrsx... I lived on that forum for 3 years...

I've got a 4th gen Spec B now though so no more rsx for me lol.

I never did anything to that car. My Spec.B is where I stated to do more things to cars. The car before that was a lease so I never had the chance.

So I repeat, what did you do to gain that extra HP in your RSX, just curious. In my spec.B I can sum it up easily - TBE, Intake, Stage 2 Protune (with AP) = 262.94 whp and 313.41 wtq. Not so hard.

I'm just here for the mods.

Not disputing or hating honda's. I think they make great cars, but unless you testing the same car a few times you won't get accurate readings only relative ones. There are too many variables, Motor heat, variation within a dyno that along with the ECU relearning over time. With all that variation taken into account 12 might as well be zero. This goes for any dyno reading and is not particular to Hondas. I do think that tuning is the only real way to safely get anything significant. Numbers don't mean a lot to me though. The saying is you buy horsepower but drive torque. One of the reasons I like Subarus so much is they typically have the torque where you use it in real life.

I'm telling you all the relevant tests were done for me to come to that conclusion... There is a 10 year knowledge base for Rsx's and K20's already. If I was pulling these numbers out of my ass from one dyno... I could see your point... but I'm not. You shouldn't have that much crazy variance in your car from run to run... On the dyno run I posted earlier, I had 4 runs, all within about 1 hp from one run to the next.

What would you like from me? To post 20 stock rsx-s dyno's and then 20 rsx-s's with an injen CAI? it's been done a million times. Bolt on and tuned rsx's make 225 and up... dems da facts good sir.

I never did anything to that car. My Spec.B is where I stated to do more things to cars. The car before that was a lease so I never had the chance.

So I repeat, what did you do to gain that extra HP in your RSX, just curious. In my spec.B I can sum it up easily - TBE, Intake, Stage 2 Protune (with AP) = 262.94 whp and 313.41 wtq. Not so hard.

I've posted it up numerous times in this thread alone... I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thing... But here you go.

Injen Cold Air Intake

Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket

Honda RBC Intake Manifold

Club Rsx Race Header

Buddy Club Pro-spec exhaust

K-pro, e-tune by Magnesium Tuning

stock injectors, fuel pump, cams, internals, etc...

What would you like from me?

To drop it and leave this subject alone. No one is forcing you to continue this discussion about your former car but you. If you feel you are being baited to continue and you take the bait, then you are as much a part of the problem as everyone else that is egging you on.

But on the bright side, look at your soring post count. In just one thread you've added at least 15 useless posts. Way to go! :lol::confused:

^^this. I far prefer low-mid range power, because that is where I drive everyday. It is there when I'm pulling away from a light or driving at speed. I like not having to downshift to pass a car, or to change lanes and move in and out of traffic smoothly, with my engine not wailing away at 7000 RPM. Probably why I drive a turbo 4 and a V8 :lol:

I mean sure, it is fun and all to wind a high revving car out--BMW M6 for example, V10, 6-spd, 8000+ RPM. Yummy. But in a day to day car, it just doesn't do it for me. It becomes a chore to have to constantly have the engine boiling for power. mmmmsbecpB's car makes good power, but it is all at the top of the RPM range. That dyno goes to 8000+ RPM :eek: Not my cup of tea, but its not my car.

I've learned a lot about Honda's these last few days, this thread, and what a RSX-S can do, and a guy at work I bumped in to, that has a supercharged Si that runs 13.1s. 29x HP and 200 TQ to the wheels. We've been doing a similar commute for about a year now, but he worked in a different complex, so we never met up until yesterday when I saw him in my building. Pretty fast car based on my observations, faster than I expected, but he seems traction limited. Nice and sleeper like too, no exterior mods, even has the OEM Si wheels.

To drop it and leave this subject alone. No one is forcing you to continue this discussion about your former car but you. If you feel you are being baited to continue and you take the bait, then you are as much a part of the problem as everyone else that is egging you on.

But on the bright side, look at your soring post count. In just one thread you've added at least 15 useless posts. Way to go! :lol::confused:

Actually, I am answering questions I am asked. My first post details that I made 225whp on a N/A 4 banger and I was curious how a 3.6 liter 6 cylinder couldn't get anything out of bolt-ons... Everything that proceeded was people doubting what I said, Honda bashing and asking me to back up claims... that's what I did. People want to ask me more questions about it, I'm going to answer. Nobody gives a shit about post count. Is that how your e-peen is measured around here?

A whole lot of ingorance in this thread like I said before.

^^this. I far prefer low-mid range power, because that is where I drive everyday. It is there when I'm pulling away from a light or driving at speed. I like not having to downshift to pass a car, or to change lanes and move in and out of traffic smoothly, with my engine not wailing away at 7000 RPM. Probably why I drive a turbo 4 and a V8 :lol:

I mean sure, it is fun and all to wind a high revving car out--BMW M6 for example, V10, 6-spd, 8000+ RPM. Yummy. But in a day to day car, it just doesn't do it for me. It becomes a chore to have to constantly have the engine boiling for power. mmmmsbecpB's car makes good power, but it is all at the top of the RPM range. That dyno goes to 8000+ RPM :eek: Not my cup of tea, but its not my car.

I've learned a lot about Honda's these last few days, this thread, and what a RSX-S can do, and a guy at work I bumped in to, that has a supercharged Si that runs 13.1s. 29x HP and 200 TQ to the wheels. We've been doing a similar commute for about a year now, but he worked in a different complex, so we never met up until yesterday when I saw him in my building. Pretty fast car based on my observations, faster than I expected, but he seems traction limited. Nice and sleeper like too, no exterior mods, even has the OEM Si wheels.

I agree with you here... there is a reason i have a subaru and not the honda anymore... The RSX was an absolute BLAST to drive, the best manual transmission i've ever had the pleasure of driving. It got awesome gas mileage driving very aggressively and it was deceptively quick. However I wanted something more comfortable, bigger and just as fast and I found it.

I won't comment about the subject anymore though I seem to be making some people angry.

Actually, I am answering questions I am asked. My first post details that I made 225whp on a N/A 4 banger and I was curious how a 3.6 liter 6 cylinder couldn't get anything out of bolt-ons... Everything that proceeded was people doubting what I said, Honda bashing and asking me to back up claims... that's what I did. People want to ask me more questions about it, I'm going to answer. Nobody gives a shit about post count. Is that how your e-peen is measured around here?

A whole lot of ingorance in this thread like I said before.

And yet you continue to derail this thread in the name of educating the "igorance" out of us. (ps. Spell check in a wonderful thing)

No one has asked you anymore questions about your car or your claims. Yet you keep keep prattling on and re-posting the same crap about your former car in a 5th Gen Subaru Legacy forum and in a thread where the original subject matter has NOTHING to do with a high revving Honda engine.

And then a moderator even asked that this thread be kept on topic and yet you still blather on about Honda engines. Who cares about those engines? Oh, you do, sorry. I forgot.

Let's all raise our hands and see who really cares about Honda engines here on LegacyGT.com.

So it's you and the 16 year old, zit faced kid at the back of the internet. Why not go over to your clubrsx.com and inform them about your 225 whp Honda. You've totally ruined this thread and never once added anything to the original topic.

And my point about your post count was meant to show you that you went from somewhere around 115 post to around 140 posts. On the last page alone you have 8 posts. Many of them one right after another. With most of them divulging more useless, off topic crap.

So now if anyone searches for this topic in the future they'll have to wade through all your garbage to get to any real info about this topic.

And then you post this:

"I won't comment about the subject anymore though I seem to be making some people angry."

The problem is you never posted anything relevent to the original topic to begin with.

Something tells me that you'll continue to reply in this thread and still add nothing of value.

:confused::spin::spin::spin::spin: :confused:

I

What would you like from me? To post 20 stock rsx-s dyno's and then 20 rsx-s's with an injen CAI? it's been done a million times. Bolt on and tuned rsx's make 225 and up... dems da facts good sir.

Sorry in my line of work data speaks, So yes 20 would be good, from the same car. I'm not talking about the tuned, tuned I understand I'm talking strictly the intake bolted on a stock motor giving a solid 12HP. Unless maybe something was seriously wrong with the stock design. Most Subaru intakes are not restrictive till you get up to the 400+ BHP range. Just like K&N claims "Up to 10+ HP" up includes 0 which is pretty much what they give. Variation will be at least that much run to run even if you don't do anything. That's all I'm saying. Your very first post asked about a cold air intake.

Peaty,

http://imgur.com/BRxr1Either way, I can see this thread went downhill..... Sorry I have not been able to chime in yet, just walked in the door. I just want a air intake so i can here this engine. My Legacy http://imgur.com/BRxr13.6 is just my daily driver to get to and from work. Not looking for high horsepower out of my legacy. I have a 450rwhp 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo as a toy.

I will post a few pics of the Ice Silver after i give it a bath. Its been raining everyday since I picked it up at the dealership.

Here is my Z

http://imgur.com/BRxr1

Cool Z car man!

As for a CAI for your 3.6R, there might be a couple of ways to get the desired effect without throwing any Check Engine Lights.

The problem with the MAFs on these cars is that they seem to be ultra sensitive to air flow changes. Some seem to freak out when even a free flow filter is install into the stock air box.

Ask SpidermanMTL about his Home Brew CAI on his 2010, 2.5i.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106137&d=1317402906

I think in the end he took it off because of the every other day flashing lights on his dash and the A/F ratio being too lean.

But then there is this design that Asianboy829 installed on his 2011, 2.5i:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/301400_284785071534315_100000084742632_1176811_1127086835_n.jpg

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/takeda-cold-intake-subaru-legacy-p-133177.html

or a bit cheaper

http://afepower.com/catalog/TR-4303P/TR-4303P_400.jpg

So far he hasn't reported back saying anything bad about CELs or running too lean. It's just not the cheapest CAI out there at $312 from Vivid or $262 from aFe.

I know both of the cars I pointed out are 2.5i's, but with a bit of re-engineering that Takeda intake could probably be made to fit our 3.6R engines I imagine.

Asianboy829 says that the the sound really opens up above 4K rpms.

And then finally you could simply remove the white "milk jug" part on the bottom of your stock air box...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5474525683_54e93975b9_z.jpg

... and replace it with this:

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3659&rsku=6579

It's only $95 and then you have the security of the stock air box and the added sound when you get on it.

I did a little test with my 3.6R air box and removed that sound deadener and drove it around a bit. Yeah it made a lot more, deep intake sound, but only when you really got on it. Somewhere in the range of 4500rpm and above. Maybe that snorkel makes sound a bit earlier, but probably not by much. At least the airflow into the box would be smoother than just taking that part off.

In the end I just put that white jug thing back on the air box and forgot about it until now.

Personally, I think this will be my next mod. Some of it for the sound (OK, a lot of it for the sound!), some for maybe a slight increase in power, but more than likely just a decrease in overall weight of the car. The rear mufflers on our cars are freaking huge and heavy. Just lowering the weight of these cars is one of the best ways to get better performance.

http://www.robearracing.com/pd-megan-racing-axle-back-exhaust-wrx-sedan-08-2010.cfm

I went through quite a few permutations of intakes both aftermarket and custom with my NA 99RS and my 04 Turbo F-XT. In the end I went back to the stock box without the silencer part. All that did for the most part was increase the sound. I did a lot of temperature (and pressure) logging with some self contained units (it's one of the things I do for work) In a nutshell, intake temps drop to very near ambient temps withing a few dozen yards of the car moving forward. So a CAI really isn't needed. The air is not going to get colder than it is outside. I have a friend that owns (owned I guess) an AWD Dyno and tuned Scoobies all day long. When I asked him about intakes for scoobies he said that most aftermarket one's did more harm than good disturbing the airflow. He's the one that told me that the stock box was good to up to about 400BHP. So if you want noise, remove the silencer. I wanted a little more sound so I put the rear perrin's on. I continue to be happy with that modification and don't feel the need for any more sound from the intake. Typically the colder it gets outside (and more dense air) the louder an aftermarket intake gets. With my F-XT Turbo I took the Cobb SF Short ram off because I got tired of people asking what was wrong with my car. The sucking noise and recirc valve going off got super loud when the ambient temps got below about 20°F.

Peaty,

I've posted it up numerous times in this thread alone... I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thing... But here you go.

Injen Cold Air Intake

Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket

Honda RBC Intake Manifold

Club Rsx Race Header

Buddy Club Pro-spec exhaust

K-pro, e-tune by Magnesium Tuning

stock injectors, fuel pump, cams, internals, etc...

Ah, earlier you said you got it tuned too (to get to 225 hp), later you said just bolt ons. Now I see, a little convoluted but now all clear. When I was wet behind the ears I thought my RSX-S was super awesome, now I look back in shame to what it really was. Fun back then though.

I'm just here for the mods.

Whats wrong with honda engines?

I still believe they are superior to subaru's engines. Why you ask?

Well, take a look at hondas 2.4L. In its base form it puts out 170HP, which is average in class, then its next step is in the Accord EX, which puts out 190HP, not bad, but then step it up to the tsx, and current civic SI, and it puts out 201HP, from a inline 2.4L, non Direct injected. Just wait until they add direct injection.

Now from what i understand subaru just reinvented their 2.5L boxer, and they pumped it up to a very average 170HP. And dont even talk about torque, its the same throughout all the cars i just mentioned.

Cool Z car man!

As for a CAI for your 3.6R, there might be a couple of ways to get the desired effect without throwing any Check Engine Lights.

The problem with the MAFs on these cars is that they seem to be ultra sensitive to air flow changes. Some seem to freak out when even a free flow filter is install into the stock air box.

I think in the end he took it off because of the every other day flashing lights on his dash and the A/F ratio being too lean.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/301400_284785071534315_100000084742632_1176811_1127086835_n.jpg

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/takeda-cold-intake-subaru-legacy-p-133177.html

or a bit cheaper

So far he hasn't reported back saying anything bad about CELs or running too lean. It's just not the cheapest CAI out there at $312 from Vivid or $262 from aFe.

I know both of the cars I pointed out are 2.5i's, but with a bit of re-engineering that Takeda intake could probably be made to fit our 3.6R engines I imagine.

And then finally you could simply remove the white "milk jug" part on the bottom of your stock air box...

It's only $95 and then you have the security of the stock air box and the added sound when you get on it.

I did a little test with my 3.6R air box and removed that sound deadener and drove it around a bit. Yeah it made a lot more, deep intake sound, but only when you really got on it. Somewhere in the range of 4500rpm and above. Maybe that snorkel makes sound a bit earlier, but probably not by much. At least the airflow into the box would be smoother than just taking that part off.

In the end I just put that white jug thing back on the air box and forgot about it until now.

Personally, I think this will be my next mod. Some of it for the sound (OK, a lot of it for the sound!), some for maybe a slight increase in power, but more than likely just a decrease in overall weight of the car. The rear mufflers on our cars are freaking huge and heavy. Just lowering the weight of these cars is one of the best ways to get better performance.

http://www.robearracing.com/pd-megan-racing-axle-back-exhaust-wrx-sedan-08-2010.cfm

runs great nothing on the dash so far so it should be good u dont feel a whole lot of power change to the car but as you said u dont really need the power well the sound is great gives the engine a deeper meaner tone to it

Cool Z car man!

or a bit cheaper

i wouldnt recommend anything from hks now because they closed down the warehouse located in the US and r now only located in Japan so if u want something from them ur gonna be waiting a good 1-2 maybe even 3 months since they check all exports for radiation

Mods, please help if necessary.....

Notice: For those making value added posts about the merits of other cars or comparisons of them to a Legacy, there's a section on this forum for this.

Forum Section:

"Other Cars & Other Cars vs Legacy"

Link to Section

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/other-cars-other-cars-vs-legacy-14.html

One can simply post the thread link from "Other Cars & Other Cars vs Legacy" over in this section to steer interested parties.

Why was my post deleted? I am the one who started the thread asking for advice...

http://imgur.com/BRxr1Either way, I can see this thread went downhill..... Sorry I have not been able to chime in yet, just walked in the door. I just want a air intake so i can here this engine. My Legacy http://imgur.com/BRxr13.6 is just my daily driver to get to and from work. Not looking for high horsepower out of my legacy. I have a 450rwhp 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo as a toy.

I will post a few pics of the Ice Silver after i give it a bath. Its been raining everyday since I picked it up at the dealership.

Here is my Z

http://imgur.com/BRxr1

Why was my post deleted? I am the one who started the thread asking for advice...

For 3.6R engine mods you can try stalking around here sb9T forum. This forum I've been stalking around for a while. There really isn't much information there we haven't already gone over. The tribeca boys have had the 3.6 engine a little longer than us so they may come up with something else first we can benefit from too.

Who knows poom, it was probably just a mistake by the mod that cleansed this thread. It's cool, we got the idea and added the info that is out there pertaining to your request.

But I think nadracer has an excellent idea there.

For 3.6R engine mods you can try stalking around here sb9T forum. This forum I've been stalking around for a while. There really isn't much information there we haven't already gone over. The tribeca boys have had the 3.6 engine a little longer than us so they may come up with something else first we can benefit from too.

Yes I've been on that forum since 06 when we got our tribeca ( I think I'm still a moderator there) At one time Cobb had a supercharger on a Tribeca but there was no market so they just sold the vehicle. Never did market a kit.

Peaty,

hahaha hey don't shortchange me... I ended up with 161 ft-lbs.

I don't have a 3.6r, i'vt got an 08 spec B, just felt like commenting.

my jetta gets 177ft.lbs from factory....

back to the topic, Perrin built a turbo H6 before, you can call them if you'r serious

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187722

http://www.perrinperformance.com/shared/images/jeff_pics/h6_build/dyno_graphs/h6original.jpg

my jetta gets 177ft.lbs from factory....

Seriously dude, that off-topic crap is done here. Get over it and move on. That bait don't work here anymore.

Seeing how you edited your post, I'll do the same. But that Perrin car was also a 3.0 liter and not the same as our 3.6R engine. I'd love to see a kit available for our cars. It would be expensive, but really, really cool!

Archived