LegacyGT.com

Clutchmasters FX300 Long Term Reviews?

Scooby2.5

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I did a little research on clutch sizes in general and this is what I found...

WRX / LGT: 230mm

STI: 240mm

2004 Porsche 911: 240mm

Corvette: 290mm

So it seems that 230mm is on the smaller side, but not super small and 240mm is solid. 290mm on the Vette is SUPER beefy, but hey those are big old V8's producing very big power. That being said, a stage 2 LGT can produce a very large amount of TQ, let's say 350 - 375 ft lbs at the crank. That's a lot to ask of a 230mm clutch I think.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I posted on another thread, but I currently have a 05 LGT and did a complete overhaul of the engine and upgraded to an 2012 sti turbo, intercooler, manifold, and port and polished the head. I also sleeved the block, installed forged pistons, and have a complete stage 2 invidia exhaust and SPT pipes / intake.

I currently have a competition stage 3 clutch that is starting to slip at 9k miles!!

Now I am looking to buy a new clutch and it seems im at a standstill.

Either stick with a competition clutch (I am a little pissed that it didn't last)

Or go with the FX300 with wrx flywheel / or LWFW.

It starts to slip under heavy acceleration 4th 5th and sometimes 1st. Here are some videos. I really would like a clutch that will last more than a YEAR!!!! lol

Pull

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/pantsmasterflex/media/IMG_2507.mp4.html

SLIP in 4th

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/pantsmasterflex/media/IMG_2508.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

:spin::mad::eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the Exedy stage 1 is pretty much the OEM set up. When you say "Stage 2" are you referring to this?

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Exedy-Stage-2-Cerametallic-Disc-Clutch-Kit-Subaru-Models-inc-2006-2011-WRX-2005-2009-Legacy-GT

If so, I don't think many guys here are wanting to run a three puck clutch. As for the Hyper Single, I don't think anyone here has run that set up....I did find this on NASIOC however.

Exedy Sucks Bad! - NASIOC

I am not saying the FX300 is the best thing in the world here. I think the Exedy stage 1 is a good set up for a lot of guys running mild mods, but once you get into the 300 HP + / 320 + TQ at the wheels that clutch is living on borrowed time. This is where things get interesting. A lot of guys here have tried a fair amount of different set ups. So far, only a select few have gone over 50K miles with ANY aftermarket clutch.

Personally I had a Spec "stage 2" clutch that lasted about 25K miles. I think it could have lasted longer if I had a new or resurfaced flywheel (I just sanded and wiped down my original flywheel). I now have the FX300 with about 5K miles and I like it very much, but the stories of guys here with only 20-30K miles on their FX300 worry me. I am hoping mine will last longer because I installed a brand new WRX flywheel at the same time.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Nice info and I leave the 300+ AWHP to you guys :lol: I'm just a stock kinda guy, got my Exedy Stage 1 and case of Extra-S delivered today, heading up to AndrewTech in the morning for the install. Since they are so thin around the holidays Sam said h'ell have two tech work on it and knock it out in record time!

Most folks dream of a white Xmas I dream of a OEM like pedal feel :lol:

The short life of the FX300 has me concerned. I did some research and those with the Audi's were also having issues with premature wear. They said the FX350 should last longer, but no one has high miles on this clutch yet.

To me it seems a segmented clutch wouldn't last as long due to less surface area compared with the full face clutch. While the segmented might be able to hold more power I would think it would wear faster due to less surface area to the flywheel.

Thoughts?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Hey guys,

I'm making about a 310whp and 300ft.lbs on a dyno that a baseline sti will pull 220-225 whp on. Will a FX300 be enough to hold current power level? Meth and EL headers will be added eventually.

Yes, it will hold that power.

That said, pick literally ANY other clutch brand outside of clutch masters and you'll be much happier.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Do you recommend SPEC or ACT?

Why the hate for FX300?

ACT is tried and true with heavy pedal effort. Spec 2 / 2+ seems to be quite popular with the folks using them here. A lot of folks seem to have good luck with SouthBend as well.

I had an FX350 and hated it. Shuddered like crazy no matter what. Several are having a similar experience with the FX300s. Beyond that, failure seems quite common within 10-20k miles. Unacceptable in my opinion.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 3 weeks later...

Stay away from clutchmasters.

My stock clutch held stage 2+ power levels - up to approx 285 hp 360 ft lbs at the wheels - for 77,000 miles of distinguished service.

At the recommendation of a vendor on this forum, I "upgraded" to the clutchmasters fx300 (full face, sprung, kevlar) with a single mass wrx flywheel. From day one, it was not a great set up for a daily driver. It was very grabby and chattered like hell. I had to relearn how to drive the car. The only positive was the pedal pressure felt like stock. I figured I could live with it as long as it held the power reliably, right? But the damn thing only lasted 25,000 miles before it started slipping.

And their customer service won't blow you away either. Ask me how I know.

I recently switched to the Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit since exedy is an OEM supplier of Subaru clutches. I've only driven approx 2,000 miles so far, but the pedal feel and engagement is just like stock. So far it is holding stage 2+ power just fine.

I own a 07 spec.b, I have heard mixed reviews on what clutch I should do for the 6MT. Some say the FX300 others say go with the Exedy Stage 1 or 2. I currently am running just over 300 ft lbs of torque with 70k. The stock clutch is slipping and want to do a new one before winter. What would be the best recommendation for my situation? Im not new to the forums but I just havent gotten into them, bare with me (: Any help at all would be delightful feel free to PM me if you have any input, Thanks

I currently have a CM FX350 on my stage 2 2012sti motor with a smfw and tks tob. With about 15k miles the clutch is holding up well and the pedal is very light. Just very finicky!! Great cold but once it warms up it becomes very grabby almost on / off depending on how much I was driving that day. I got used to it but the break in period was a little annoying. I've read that the fx300 is worse and I will either recommend it once I get past 25k or not. It seems that CM clutches take a shit around 25k which is terrible.

• 1 year later...

Archived