LegacyGT.com

Clutchmasters FX300 Long Term Reviews?

Scooby2.5

I pulled my FX300 out today while putting in a new STI 6 speed. It actually looked pretty good after 35-40K.

Disc was not burned at all just more smooth that when it first went in.

Pressure plate and flywheel had a few marks on them but nothing major. It seemed to be working fine when I took it out.

Instead of putting it back in I opted for a stock STI 6 speed clutch and flywheel.

I have now had an ACT in my 5 speed, clutch masters in my 6 speed and now stock STI clutch in my 6 speed.

The ACT in the 5 speed had horrendous deceleration noise and the pedal was really stiff.

The Clutch masters FX300 felt like stock in the pedal but the clutch disc was ON/OFF, difficult to drive on hills or in traffic but was much better after about 10K or more. Deceleration noise was minimal.

The stock STI 6 speed clutch feels the same as the clutchmasters FX300 as far as pedal, the disc is easy to modulate so fine on hills and in traffic (obviously) and lastly the deceleration noise is identical to the clutch masters kit.

Love the stock STI clutch. Drives well.

I will say this though. Clutch masters in IMHO has a great product. The pressure plate feels like stock, deceleration noise is like stock and I would guess the new FX350 disc will be better on the hills and take offs.

Im actually really impressed at how close the Stock STI clutch and the Clutch masters both feel driving them back to back.

I just didnt like the ON/OFF feeling of the FX300. Maybe the FX350 disc will be better, dont know.

So anyone worrying about pedal feel and/or deceleration noise with the clutch masters in the 6 speed it seems to be just like the Stock STI 6 speed clutch.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I pulled my FX300 out today while putting in a new STI 6 speed. It actually looked pretty good after 35-40K.

Disc was not burned at all just more smooth that when it first went in.

Pressure plate and flywheel had a few marks on them but nothing major. It seemed to be working fine when I took it out.

Instead of putting it back in I opted for a stock STI 6 speed clutch and flywheel.

I have now had an ACT in my 5 speed, clutch masters in my 6 speed and now stock STI clutch in my 6 speed.

The ACT in the 5 speed had horrendous deceleration noise and the pedal was really stiff.

The Clutch masters FX300 felt like stock in the pedal but the clutch disc was ON/OFF, difficult to drive on hills or in traffic but was much better after about 10K or more. Deceleration noise was minimal.

The stock STI 6 speed clutch feels the same as the clutchmasters FX300 as far as pedal, the disc is easy to modulate so fine on hills and in traffic (obviously) and lastly the deceleration noise is identical to the clutch masters kit.

Love the stock STI clutch. Drives well.

I will say this though. Clutch masters in IMHO has a great product. The pressure plate feels like stock, deceleration noise is like stock and I would guess the new FX350 disc will be better on the hills and take offs.

Im actually really impressed at how close the Stock STI clutch and the Clutch masters both feel driving them back to back.

I just didnt like the ON/OFF feeling of the FX300. Maybe the FX350 disc will be better, dont know.

So anyone worrying about pedal feel and/or deceleration noise with the clutch masters in the 6 speed it seems to be just like the Stock STI 6 speed clutch.

Does the stock STI 6 speed clutch hold the power you have in your signature?

• I Donated

I doubt it will, at least for very long. My stock Spec.B clutch was slipping at 70k, having only been Stage 2 for 20-25k.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027703

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372578&highlight=stock+sti+clutch

http://rusubaru.com/how-much-power-can-stock-subaru-drivetrain-take/

Im not launching my car all the time and not really racing it anywhere. As long as that is the case I think it will be fine.

Im 350/360 to wheels most of the time on pump. 385/425 only on E85 and feel hard acceleration etc should be just fine

I doubt it will, at least for very long. My stock Spec.B clutch was slipping at 70k, having only been Stage 2 for 20-25k.

Stock spec B clutch is smaller than the STI clutch and flywheel.

Its actually more like the 5 speed clutch

The SpecB 6MT clutch is the same pressure plate and flywheel as the STi OEM. What Subaru did to the SpecB was give it a 10mm smaller clutch disc. This was done because the SpecB has lower power levels from the factory and saved Subaru a few cents on each car. The hot ticket is to get back that lost clamping area and go to the STi clutch. Even the aftermarket SpecB specific clutches use the smaller disc, hence the lower power ratings.

STi in your SpecB 6MT FTW!

You could check the part numbers at opposedforces.com to see if the pressure plate and flywheel numbers are different but for sure the disc is smaller

Actually the numbers are different for the spec b on the PP and flywheel, disc etc.

Looks like the TO bearing is the only thing that is the same....

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_12/manual_transmission/clutch/

STI numbers:

Subaru STI Flywheel

12310AA340 old

12310AA410 new

30210AA670 Pressure Plate

30100AA920 Disc

30502AA130 TO Bearing

• I Donated

Once again,

I installed an STI clutch on my Spec.B FW. Fit fine.

The STI and Spec.B flywheels may be different part numbers, but they are both identical from a mounting and size perspective -- otherwise, an STI clutch would not fit on the Spec.B FW.

And once again, stock sti clutch can hold more power than the spec b clutch from what I understand

While the flywheel size (diameter) and mounting may be the same, they are different part numbers. Unlike the TO bearing which is the same part number.

Could be the STI flywheel is lighter, I dont know, but something is different about them.

The STI flywheel part number has been superseded to a different part number for some reason and they do look identical but do not match the part number of the spec b which has not been superseded to my knowledge. I have had both of the STI flywheel numbers

• 2 weeks later...

Funny this popped up in my email....I just had my FX300 installed yesterday ;-) Glad you got a replacement!

Love the pedal feel (way lighter than my ACT street), and engagement is just fine (a little quicker but great location (about mid way through pedal travel...what I personally like) and already expected a little quicker engagement).

I might do a review later.

Had lots of hot spots (at least from what I think they look like...will post pics sometime if I get time) on flywheel. Clutch was slipping in cold weather, 4th gear. Started to get some pilot bearing squeak so I just pressed on with replacement as I had all the parts sitting at home (new WRX flywheel, FX300, upgraded throw-out bearing).

• 4 weeks later...

About 750 miles on my FX350.

First gear shudders when it's warmed up but feels identical to stock when cool (5-speed).

I really have to rev it and ride it or blip the throttle and engage the clutch smooth but quick when it's warmed up.

I really dislike the shudder/shake when it's warmed up which is making me dislike driving my car in traffic.

The FX350 is getting better over time I guess but wasn't expecting to adjust my driving as much as I have.

Pedal feel is lighter than stock. Grabs right off the floorboard. Grabs VERY well in all gears. Shudders if I don't do 1st gear just right. Reverse I don't even let the clutch out all the way. It's worse than 1st gear.

VF52 turbo on E85...about 400wtq.

GroupN Trans mount

Soon to put some GroupN motor mounts in to keep the engine locked down a little better.

I stalled mine a bunch of times coming from a spec stage 2+. I am curious about the motor mounts I read somewhere a guy did the transmount hated the shudder then got the motor mounts and the problem was resolved. I have the group n transmount and a pitchstop mount. My car shudders similar to yours with the 350. You guys can be my canary in the cole mine

I've got about 2k on mine now and it has significantly quieted down on decel. Engagementis not bad other than in 1st
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

• Moderators
I've got about 2k on mine now and it has significantly quieted down on decel. Engagementis not bad other than in 1st

I don't really care about the chatter, I don't think it's bad at all and I can be pretty picky :p Honestly, my car is an '05 Subaru and has enough other little ticks / rattles that the clutch noise really doesn't add anything noticeable.

Taking off from a stand still in 1st though, it quite aggressive. Sometimes it's smooth as butter, sometimes it feels like the car is going to snap in half. Not really sure if anything can be done about that, but it's certainly not what I expected. Oh well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I reported on this shudder quite a while ago and had the same experiences and it was worst from about 400 miles - 1500 miles. Mine has subsided significantly since break-in (I've had mine over 4K miles now). I rarely get the dreaded shudder, but I also adjusted my take offs when the clutch is at operating temp. Have to manipulate the throttle to keep it at 2300 RPM through engagement and take off, and it does take a quicker clutch pedal release (don't slip/ride it out partially engaged).

Trade off in my opinion. I need the holding power for future mod plans and know this is a performance clutch, and if I drive it like stated I avoid this issue. I still haven't done the GroupN engine mounts or rear diff cradle mounts I plan to as well.

Archived