LegacyGT.com

Clutchmasters FX300 Long Term Reviews?

Scooby2.5

Almost 30k on my clutch and I have really no shudder at all. What solved my shudder issue is taking the car to the track and abusing the S#!T out of my clutch. Since then, it's been very smooth. So I either glazed it a bit or fully broke it in. Either way, it now engages like oem.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Thats what I did LOL!

I eventually sold it and the girl that bought it is using it still no problem

Disc looked good when I pulled it out.

Im now running the OEM STI clutch in my STI 6 speed. LOVE IT!

• 3 months later...

Got my FX300 today! I found it interesting that both the pressure plate and friction disc appear to be Exedy built. It looks identical to this Exedy clutch except for the friction material and a splash of paint.

http://www.carid.com/images/wp/exedy/w01331768280dkn.jpg

^Thats what I did LOL!

I eventually sold it and the girl that bought it is using it still no problem

Disc looked good when I pulled it out.

Im now running the OEM STI clutch in my STI 6 speed. LOVE IT!

How many miles on STI clutch and how is it handling 400+Tq ?

So what is the consensus on the FX350 vs the FX300? When the FX350 came out everyone was recommending it over the FX350, but reading some of the recent reviews has me a little worried.

I want a clutch that I can use in my daily driver but still be able to hold 350LB/ft TQ. It seems like the CM clutches are the most like stock and I need to decided if I go with the FX350 or FX300.

if you are planning on staying at 350tq then the 300 is acceptable for you, but if you know youll be adding later down the road i would go with the 350.

Thanks. I assume the FX350 is a little bit more aggressive clutch to drive compared to the FX300 then? My stocker is still going fine with my 20G, but I don't launch the car or beat on the clutch.

Thanks

I'm no expert, but unless you're really babying it, I would think you'd want something like the 350 for a 20G. I don't "launch" my car either (just don't want to beat on the drive train) but I occasionally take off briskly (smile) and certain often I stomp on it once rolling.

If you're super easy on it (which it sounds like you are if you have a stock clutch!) maybe the 300 will work. Again, for occasional track time, I'd go for the 350 (and for the 20G).

The 350 may worry you for the first 1000 miles until all broken in and you get used to it, but then it's pretty smooth sailing (with occasional chatter if I'm not paying attention), at least that was my experience.

I have 20g with my stocker as well, it just started slipping after a year about 3k miles. Now I'm getting a FX300, I am around 375TQ

Any reason you aren't going with the FX350?

On another note has anyone tried the South Bend clutches? A friend recommended them and I know those with WRX's have had good success. I can't find too much info from any Legacy owners with them.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated
On another note has anyone tried the South Bend clutches? A friend recommended them and I know those with WRX's have had good success. I can't find too much info from any Legacy owners with them.

Thanks

Sorry I missed this. I have their STI Stage 2 Daily one. Won't hold up to my power level with consecutive slipped-clutch drag launches (have to pause to let it cool down), but goes back to normal afterwards, and seems to be fine otherwise.

I have never used their 5MT clutches, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add. 16 E85 Legacy, currently dealing with failure of my FX300 after ~22K miles. Daily driver, no launches or aggressive treatment. Just enjoyment of some WOT on freeway and the like.

Liked the clutch overall and don't put that many miles on my car ('05 with only 66K total). Trying to decide between another FX300 and something else.

^^ Sorry to hear about your FX300 failure. My Spec Stage 2 clutch lasted only about only 25K miles. I now have about 7500 miles on my FX300 and like it better than my Spec, but seeing how many people have the FX300 last just as short, I am starting to think that the clutch size on our cars is simply under engineered.

I would like very much to know the physical size of our clutch vs. other cars of the same power output (at stage 2 least or beyond). I am pretty sure the 6mt on the STI has a larger radius and therefore more friction material....can anyone confirm this?

I wonder how much bigger a typical 350hp to 400hp clutch is....

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I had a kevlar Bullyclutch that looked just like the FX300, and I was also disappointed by the lifespan. 20k miles or so. Two hard launches the whole time I had it (both on the same day, about 1000 miles or so after it was installed). That gave me a bad feeling about kevlar cluches, and these experiences with short-lived FX300s seem to support my suspicions.

I really liked the clutch feel, and it worked great while it lasted... but it didn't last long. Once it started slipping, it degraded pretty rapidly. I noticed it slipping on my way home one day, decided I would baby it while I made up my mind about what to buy next. Drove it once more, it slipped so bad I turned around and drove back home. The next time I drove it, I looked up some two truck phone numbers in advance, because I wasn't sure I'd make it. (I did, thankfully.)

I would like very much to know the physical size of our clutch vs. other cars of the same power output (at stage 2 least or beyond). I am pretty sure the 6mt on the STI has a larger radius and therefore more friction material....can anyone confirm this?

I've had both, but I never checked the dimensions. However, it's interesting that ACT's torque rating for their HDSS clutch for the 6MT is much higher than the rating for the 5MT version.

Legacy version: 420 ft-lb

STI version: 515 ft-lb

• I Donated
I now have about 7500 miles on my FX300 and like it better than my Spec, but seeing how many people have the FX300 last just as short, I am starting to think that the clutch size on our cars is simply under engineered.

Yes. The STI flywheel/clutch is bigger.

Archived