LegacyGT.com

Clutchmasters FX300 Long Term Reviews?

Scooby2.5

FX350 slipping in 5th with about 30k / 2 years. Rev out 1-1.5k at stops Shudders when hot even with a tsk3 bearing, but not that bad. Light pedal, little heavier than stock. Daily driven mostly highway with occasional aggressive driving but NEVER launched.

Full stage 2 sti swap 280whp / 290wtq. Was hoping to get a little more miles out of the clutch, but I guess its ok. I really would like to find something that can do better though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm coming up on 70k on a fx300. Still grabs strong and doesn't chatter unless I make a mistake. the only issues I have to report are 1) failure to release a few years back when the PP rusted (which was fixed by putting car in reverse, starting the engine and stomping on the brake after the car got moving) and 2) having to clean and lubricate the pivot ball twice a year.

I suspect a lot of people are having early failures due to the pivot ball gunking up and allowing the fork to drag slightly against the TOB. When the ball gets fouled, the TOB makes a slight squeaking noise that goes away when the pedal is pressed. I think it is the kevlar fibers getting into the lube that causes the problem.

one more thing which may help.... at least on my setup, I've found that the CM fx300 does not like a lot of slip when moving from a stop. I get the smoothest engagements from a stop just off of idle... like 900-1000 RPM. then there is a zone beween 1200-1500 where you can get lots of chatter. above 1500 engagement will be smooth again, but the clutch is getting cooked. the short life many are seeing could be due to driving habit. these clutch do not recover like an organic disc and will chatter like hell if you glaze them. A friend of mine roasted his setup with excessive slip, it was never the same after.

• 4 weeks later...
Just picked up an FX300 and giving it a shot. By this thread the reviews are very mixed but after the 350 went rather quickly this is the last CM I will buy. I was gonna go with the FX400 but I read that its just as bad. If this goes at 25k I will be returning to this thread a very unhappy customer and will never buy CM as long as I live.. In the mean time fingers crossed!

That bearing is about $90 if you buy it without the sleeve, yes? Given the PITA required to change just that part, I'd probably just suck it up and install a new one while you're in there.

Just for another data point, I have ~40k miles on my FX300 so far. Probably 2/3 of that is highway cruising in 5th gear and the other 1/3 is a combo of around town or rush hour stop and go. Given all the reports that these discs aren't long lived, I do take pains to slip it as little as possible, and the high % of highway use definitely helps. I'm happy with the light pedal feel and pretty good street manners, but can't render a real verdict until I see it survive a lot more miles. Satisfied for now though.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just picked up everything and was going to resurface my WRX flywheel.

I noticed that the clutch for a 2005 legacy gt # was:

FX300: 15022-HDTZ-X

and for the 06+ WRX was:

FX300: 15021-HDTZ-X

Being that I want to pair it up with my 06+ WRX flywheel will I have to buy the 15021?

Damn I hope not. Because I got the 15022 for 2005 legacy gt.. Is there even a difference??

I also read on the clutchmasters website that the clutches require a CM flywheel!? Since when?

I have a CM FX300 in the Spec B I bought here from Drew. I hate it. It's very grabby, like an on/off switch.

The engine is out for a rebuild. I'll be replacing the CM clutch with an Exedy Stage 1.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 2 months later...
Just installed my FX300 and CM steel lwfw.. Clutch is very grabby but the pedal feel is very light. Just like the FX350, it will probably get a little more stiff once it breaks in. One thing I noticed off the bat is that the gears (Sometimes) are a lot harder to engage, mainly 1st. Time to break it in and give everyone an update. Revving down in gear there is no transmission whine like with other lwfw's.

^^^ If it's tough to get into 1st you can try adjusting the clutch pedal so you get just a little more travel at the slave cylinder. IDK about the CM flywheel specifically, but any changes in the geometry of that assembly will change the point within the pedal travel range where it engages. On my setup I didn't have to make any adjustments, but when I helped BarManBean with his FX350 we had to adjust the pedal a whole lot to get enough travel to disengage the clutch. I don't remember which flywheel he was using.

I'm amazed at how inconsistent clutch reviews are on here. I currently have a CM FX300 with a WRX flywheel and I will say by far it's the best clutch I've had in my car. It NEVER chatters, has light pedal feel, smooth consistent engagement and holds excellent. Besides the OE clutch, I've used the Spec Stage 1/ w a DM flywheel (chattered terrible from day one but held pretty good). My third clutch was an ACT HD SS, I hated that wretched clutch. Besides consistent chatter the pedal effort was ridiculously heavy. Stop and go driving was torture. The ACT didn't hold that well on hard launches either.

I would venture to say whatever clutch you buy, depending on your flywheel set up and how you break it in, IT'S A ROLL OF THE DICE!!

^^^ If it's tough to get into 1st you can try adjusting the clutch pedal so you get just a little more travel at the slave cylinder. IDK about the CM flywheel specifically, but any changes in the geometry of that assembly will change the point within the pedal travel range where it engages. On my setup I didn't have to make any adjustments, but when I helped BarManBean with his FX350 we had to adjust the pedal a whole lot to get enough travel to disengage the clutch. I don't remember which flywheel he was using.

Will do, thanks for the advice. I was actually able to drive all day yesterday and the engagements into first are getting easier and easier. So far my first impression is good but I'll have to break it in. My FX350 chatter was pretty bad once it broke in. I will be babying the hell out of this clutch during the break in because it seems very hit or miss based on the break in of these clutches.

As for the flywheel it's 12lbs and set off my CEL which I will have to tune out after the break in. But after driving with lwfw's in the past I will say this is the smoothest low noise fw I have ever used.

More after a proper 1k break in

I ended up installing an STI OEM lightweight flywheel and clutch. (I have a 6 Speed). I love it. Much better than the CM FX300.

YMMV!

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So I have about 30,000 miles on my FX300 and I think my throw out bearing just took a crap. I was getting off the freeway and I pressed my clutch in to shift into 1st gear at the stop sign. I got a slight rattling noise. I went a block and as the noise got worse with each time I had to press the clutch in to shift. I pulled over and went into neutral, no noises from the engine. I pressed in the clutch a few times (without going into gear) to hear the noise better. The last time I pressed the clutch in the noise was pretty loud and the car wanted to stall. I shut it down and towed it home. :-(

Now I get to tear it apart and see what's going on. I have a feeling its the throw out bearing based on what the symptoms are. It's too bad because the clutch was holding fine with no slip. Now I get have to decide if I am going to replace the whole set up, or if I am going to just go with an OEM throw out bearing. I have to see what everything looks like 1st though. Total bummer....this will be the 3rd time I have had to dive into the clutch with this car. 117,000 miles.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Definitely sounds like the TOB. Which bearing is in there now? OEM, TSK3, or whatever came with the clutch kit? All other things being equal, I'd expect the TOB to last longer with these CM clutches than on the factory clutch since they're working with a lighter pressure plate.

I've now got ~53K on my FX300 & TSK3. The TOB sometimes gives a slight whine during shifts for the first minute or two before the car warms up but I don't hear it after that. Clutch is still good to go, granted ~2/3 of my miles are highway cruising with no shifting.

I have a brand new Clutchmasters TOB for you wanna buy it. Lmk

I also have a used but in perfect shape TSK3 bearing.

Sorry dude! sucks you had that problem! I hope mine holds. I just went E85. So far so good

• 2 weeks later...

I tore apart the car over the weekend to get to my stupid throw out bearing. One of the tabs that holds it to the clutch fork snapped off (see pics below). Also, it looks like the clutch has some pretty good wear and it's just a good idea to get a new one. Here is a list of what I need to replace for sure....

(1) lower control arm ball joint - I tore the rubber boot while getting it to separate.

(5) New quarts of fluid for my tranny - I spilled a bunch when I was removing my axles. It's old school Extra-S......I might just say "F" it and mix in some of the new Subaru High Performance Oil instead.

(2) New front axle seals - It's just a good thing to do while I am in there. They have not been replaced ever.

(1) New clutch - From who I don't know yet....but check out the pictures below to see what I found.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_qqwBqgMJ6eelV5ZnJfaldzcm8&usp=sharing

^^ I can't seem to get the google hosted images to load on the forum....so here is the whole folder.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it looks like I need to have my flywheel resurfaced for sure. It has some hot spots and a few small stress cracks, but I am hoping the resurfacing will help that out.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I tore apart the car over the weekend to get to my stupid throw out bearing. One of the tabs that holds it to the clutch fork snapped off (see pics below). Also, it looks like the clutch has some pretty good wear and it's just a good idea to get a new one. Here is a list of what I need to replace for sure....

(1) lower control arm ball joint - I tore the rubber boot while getting it to separate.

(5) New quarts of fluid for my tranny - I spilled a bunch when I was removing my axles. It's old school Extra-S......I might just say "F" it and mix in some of the new Subaru High Performance Oil instead.

(2) New front axle seals - It's just a good thing to do while I am in there. They have not been replaced ever.

(1) New clutch - From who I don't know yet....but check out the pictures below to see what I found.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_qqwBqgMJ6eelV5ZnJfaldzcm8&usp=sharing

^^ I can't seem to get the google hosted images to load on the forum....so here is the whole folder.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it looks like I need to have my flywheel resurfaced for sure. It has some hot spots and a few small stress cracks, but I am hoping the resurfacing will help that out.

Damn sorry to hear! LMK if you're in the market for a WRX SMFW. I have a perfect one up for sale.

Archived