LegacyGT.com

Do you really hate your 5EAT and why?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without doing any mods to the car, and I have no plans to right now, the buttdyno agrees that the MT feels stronger.

In the end, babbling about speed is one of many dimensions of a cars performance, which is why I think hating on autos, or manuals or arguing about speed like this is a waste of time and you're just being a dumb auto fanboy and there are people just being dumb manual fanboys.

Without doing any mods to the car, and I have no plans to right now, the buttdyno agrees that the MT feels stronger.

In the end, babbling about speed is one of many dimensions of a cars performance, which is why I think hating on autos, or manuals or arguing about speed like this is a waste of time and you're just being a dumb auto fanboy and there are people just being dumb manual fanboys.

Just fueling teh fire, but if you do come upon my transmission related posts in other threads you would realize I've hated on teh 5EAT more the 5MT. :):D

You want the lowdown, I would have gotten the 5MT if the WRX +Boy Racers hadn't ruined Subaru's 5MT reliablility image.

I keed I keeed

Funny thing is the 5MT on the Legacy has been fine from what I can tell. They had the complimentary frangranced clutch, but that feature was removed in December it seems. My fresh new 05 waiting for me comes without :(

20 year old technology => 5MT &&

<5 year old technology => 5EAT &&

True => ( ( 5EAT > 5MT ) && ( 5EAT ()\/\/|\|2 5MT) )

QED

I've found an error in your code:

line 3 should read:

True => ( ( ( 5EAT > 5MT ) && ( 5EAT ()\/\/|\|2 5MT) ) XOR ( driver.skill > suck || driver != punani ) )

no one mensioned tranmission power loss whatsoever...

that's the main reason why traditional auto is slower than manual, speed wise.

more power is going through the transmission in manual that overcome the small shifting time difference.

DING DING DING DING! we have a winner!

Manual with computer controlled hydraulic shifting is the way to go (Sequencial Gear boxes), best of both worlds...:cool:

if the STi had a sequential manual gearbox, i'd be all over it!

two clutches - one for the odd numbered gears, one for the even ones. as one clutch is letting go of a gear, the other one is grabbing the next one -

the electronic throttle control revs the engine to achieve seamless gear swaps in .08 seconds, all controlled by paddle shifters on the steering wheel. c'mon, Subaru - make it happen! :eek:

Personally I am glad that I bought the 5MT since I do not drive my car in traffic daily. The only bad thing about the 5MT is that I think the feel of the clutch is kindy mushy. To find the sweet spot it is not as easy as most cars. Maybe Subie did this because of people who were dropping the clutch. On my 1G Talon I had a ACT clutch that I loved. Sure my left calf muscle got a work out, but it was so much easier to know when the clutch was engaging.

All in all I love the LGT with the 5MT.

no one mensioned tranmission power loss whatsoever...

that's the main reason why traditional auto is slower than manual, speed wise.

more power is going through the transmission in manual that overcome the small shifting time difference.

Refer to my post on page 6. ;)

Manual with computer controlled hydraulic shifting is the way to go (Sequencial Gear boxes), best of both worlds...:cool:

That's true, I still think this technology is the best one for performance. The only trouble is there are a lot of SMT's that shift too slow (namely the one for the Toyota MR2 Spyder) or are too expensive (reserved only for high-end cars such as the new M5).

Refer to my post on page 6. ;)

That's true, I still think this technology is the best one for performance. The only trouble is there are a lot of SMT's that shift too slow (namely the one for the Toyota MR2 Spyder) or are too expensive (reserved only for high-end cars such as the new M5).

For the MR2, is the actual shift slow, or the request-to-shift lag time too long?

I keed I keeed

In regards to the MR2 Spyder's SMT:

The SMT has two main faults, however. One is that there is no "automatic" mode, meaning that the driver has to shift gears continually just like a regular manual transmission. The other is that the speed of its shifts isn't adjustable. Shifts that seem fine around town become agonizingly slow during full-throttle acceleration. Plant the throttle, rev the car to redline and upshift. The MR2 acts like it has stopped to take a breather as it automatically shuts the throttle until the shift is completed.

http://www.modernracer.com/history/toyotamr2history.html

I believe it was the upshifts that are the main problem -- taking nearly 1 full second to complete. They generally gave its downshift abilities a lot of praise though.

Similar coments can be said about the 5EAT, in that the downshifts are better/faster than the upshifts, but the upshifts don't shut throttle while shifting. Just that the request-to-shift lag on an upshift is not as fast as on a downshift, but the actual gear shift is fast enough.

Having to shift all the time sequentially thru the gears instead of skipping gears in a 5MT or a full auto in 5EAT is just ridiculous, what was Toyota thinking?!!!!

I keed I keeed

Similar coments can be said about the 5EAT, in that the downshifts are better/faster than the upshifts, but the upshifts don't shut throttle while shifting. Just that the request-to-shift lag on an upshift is not as fast as on a downshift, but the actual gear shift is fast enough.

Having to shift all the time sequentially thru the gears instead of skipping gears in a 5MT or a full auto in 5EAT is just ridiculous, what was Toyota thinking?!!!!

how are you guys acheiving the fastest shifts on the 5eat? do you just keep the gas on or do you let off or what?

how are you guys acheiving the fastest shifts on the 5eat? do you just keep the gas on or do you let off or what?

Do you mean the fastest request-to-shift or actual-shift time ?

Gas on all the way thru the shift.

I keed I keeed

• 2 weeks later...
No. That will never grow on me. The B9 Tribecca is nasty worst then the ugly @ss Pontiac Aztek

http://a137.g.akamai.net/n/137/3538/20031229190757/www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2004/detroit/coverage/images/subaru_b9_scrambler_front_430.jpg

Notice that Subaru doesn`t have many pictures of the Tribecca on their site.

Sorry to go way OT here, but Holy Crap that looks awesome (I tend to like cars that don't have the same styling cues as every other one out there). The problem is, it just doesn't look like a Subaru. Of course, IMO none of the newly designed Subarus do.

• 4 weeks later...

For a group of car guys you've all overlooked a damn obvious part of this argument.

5spd manual

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th .972

5th .738

final reduction 4.111

5spd auto

1st 3.540

2nd 2.264

3rd 1.471

4th 1.

5th .834

final reduction 3.272

:)

The decision is made a little less academic for us in Oz. The GT MT has 255bhp and the AT only has 242bhp (the torque has a similar drop off in the AT as compared to the MT as well) :D

Where did you get those #'s from????? That makes NO sense. The engine is the same in both cars. So BHP would be exactly the same! It is at the wheel that there is a slight difference not at the crank. Who ever told you that is silly

Archived