LegacyGT.com

Do you really hate your 5EAT and why?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scooterman is downunder,(down under or down-under) and so they get the JDM cars.

As for the graph, kW is Horsepower and NM is Torque relatively, so go from there and if they were the same the graph wouldn't have a legend for the different tranmissions.

I keed I keeed

Right but those look like at the wheels numbers to me. How can you confirm that those are at the crank? Here in the US both are rated at 250 250 at the crank.

I am not meaning to argue with you at all, it just doesn't seem to make sense. Subaru would claim a lower HP then just like Infiniti used to with the G35's. But that isn't the case. I dunno................

Here is the real deal from Subaru's Down Under website http://subaru.com.au/explore/liberty/specifications.asp?body=Sedan&grade=GT :

Performance____________________________________Manual____Automatic

Max. output (DIN) kW/rpm________________________190/6400__180/6400

Max. torque (DIN) Nm/rpm________________________330/2400__310/2400

Max. speed (in top gear) km/h2232370-100 Km/h secs____5.7______6.8

There is no false advertising. The 2.0 Turbo engine is detuned on the Automatic.

I keed I keeed

What about those numbers in the US?

Do we know if SOA really detuned the 2.5 Turbo like it was clearly done in Japan and Australia for the 2.0 Twin Scroll Turbo?

Interesting you guys brought that up. The power distribution we knew it was different 45/55 instead of 50/50 from MT, now the engine power itself.. Hmmmmm

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Yeah that is what I am saying Flavio. Until someone can prove otherwise the US spec is the same exact motor in both cars with the loss in the powertrain not the crate itself.

Plus that is more cost effective to use the exact same rated motor.

Either way I am happy with the AT as well and once they come out with an electronic shift improver for better performance it will fly!

Nobody said or hinted at the idea that the Automatic USDM GT has a detuned 2.5 Turbo engine.

Check the US Subaru website for the official word.

There is nothing to argue about or prove here.

I keed I keeed

Friday will be the first time at the track. I have run it MANY times using my G-tech and gotten 5.41 0-60 as my best time thus far I think (can't remember off the top of my head) and I let it shoot through the 1/4 once and it was 14.02. I am not sure the accuracy of that so the track will be a better test.

Not sure if Island is a "slow" or "fast" track either. I know englishtown is a fast track. I am just hoping for a 13.99-14.2 this friday. I would be happy with that. Then I will be back after stage II in a month and re-reun at Island again. Then I am hoping for 13.5-13.7

We'll see though

Coming from an STI, I can say that I really like the 5EAT. It may not have the off the line that a MT has but living in SoCal it can get very old shifting all the time in traffic.

Just my 2pennies

I would have prefered to buy a MT, but I find the 5EAT is growing on me. Traffic life is now less annoying.

Also, thank you to all the modded 5EAT's for posting their results, because it helps me in my evaluations of what mods I want to ask Santa for. :rolleyes:

Mblock66, seeing that you did a few 0-60 runs, how many times did you brake-torque, for how many secs and to what engine speed?

I have apost out there somewhere with my results. I will see if I can find the link.

But to answer quickly. Torque breaking is VERY essential to getting off the line with our cars. If you don't you lose about .5 sec in the 0-60 run.

Ahh here it is:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15089

Read through that, I did a very in depth writeup of my times with different mods.

My compliments to the board. I am delighted to see such a varied and though out discussion without the need to use unappropriate language.

I have seen these issues disccused on the WRX forum and it gets real UGLY.

My 2 cents for what it is worth and I feel I can add significant input.

I own a WRX AT. The vehicle does have its advantages and disadvantages. The most notable is the turbo lag. It is more evident in a AT as opposed to MT.

I have driven a WRX MT and it is also a dog, til you spool up to 2.5k RPMS. The AT require atleast 3k RPMS. My WRX is currently in limbo of being sold.

I have since tested a MT and AT Legacy and both these vehicles are a HUGE upgrade in contrast to the wrx both MT and AT. The AT is by far a middle ground for both enthusiast as well as those who spend alot of time in traffic. I have also test driven a porshce (triptronic) and there is not much difference between the manumatic legacy vs a triptronic. The funnest gear to be in wihtout a doubt would be 2nd.

I have also looked into the Audi which I like very much. DSG in my opinion will replace MT down the road. If you notice all this technology is found in F1 cars and then gets passed down to the line to passenger vehicles.

The objective is to have a fun car wihotut the need to be bogged down. DSG provides for that.

My compliments to the board. I am delighted to see such a varied and though out discussion without the need to use unappropriate language.

I have seen these issues disccused on the WRX forum and it gets real UGLY.

My 2 cents for what it is worth and I feel I can add significant input.

I own a WRX AT. The vehicle does have its advantages and disadvantages. The most notable is the turbo lag. It is more evident in a AT as opposed to MT.

I have driven a WRX MT and it is also a dog, til you spool up to 2.5k RPMS. The AT require atleast 3k RPMS. My WRX is currently in limbo of being sold.

I have since tested a MT and AT Legacy and both these vehicles are a HUGE upgrade in contrast to the wrx both MT and AT. The AT is by far a middle ground for both enthusiast as well as those who spend alot of time in traffic. I have also test driven a porshce (triptronic) and there is not much difference between the manumatic legacy vs a triptronic. The funnest gear to be in wihtout a doubt would be 2nd.

I have also looked into the Audi which I like very much. DSG in my opinion will replace MT down the road. If you notice all this technology is found in F1 cars and then gets passed down to the line to passenger vehicles.

The objective is to have a fun car wihotut the need to be bogged down. DSG provides for that.

If you trade in your WRX for another Subaru - they may give you a generous trade in. Also, test drive the Audi TT 3.2 (DSG tranny) - the transmission in it is amazing.

Absolutely. That is exactly what I am planning to do.

Unfortunately, the dealer gave me a lousy trade in of $16k, which I thought was pretty much low balling. I am selling it to a private party for $19.8k. I had the 100km warranty which is included.

I do like the GT but I think I would like to move on and experience different vehicles. The price is definitely an attraction which is keeping me around here.

The more I read about the DSG, the more I like it. The A3 is what I am really going to have a hard look at when it comes out. I ain't so big on the design of the TT.

I am also keeping my eyes peeled on the new BMW 3 series combatant, IS 300 (06) which I think will do very well. I love paddle shifters but it ain't no DSG.

it works to my satisfaction.

i had the 4 speed in the wrx, l.l. beaner, and the outback sport so i can say from experience that this auto is far better than the 4 speed.

it's smooth and quiet

i don't use the sport shift that much. my commute is 4 miles each direction in traffic.

it seems sturdy so far without any slips or real misses.

only downside is it doesn't shift to the next gear quick enough but, then maybe that helps to save it.

it was a good subaru move to dump the 4 speed.

Where did you get those #'s from????? That makes NO sense. The engine is the same in both cars. So BHP would be exactly the same! It is at the wheel that there is a slight difference not at the crank. Who ever told you that is silly

Im sure this is just a silly mistake but it threw me for a second. I believe what you're trying to say is that the MT and AT have the exact same hp at the crank, but not the same bhp (-B-rake -H-orse -P-ower means power at the wheels).

Again, the Japanese, Australian and other 2.0 Turbo models have a higher engine tune(BHP) for the Manual transmission and lower one for the Automatic.

This has nothing todo with WHP or the 2.5 Turbo models we get here.

I keed I keeed

Archived