LegacyGT.com

Virtual Dyno

bbarnhill

Very true.

Ive gone with 2.0 because not everyone has 3.5 yet. I know I can require it to be installed but thats just even more hassle for nothing really gained. I toyed with this idea a lot a few months back because I really wanted to rewrite in 4.0 and use parallel for loops to load data and such. After some testing it really didnt help the speed out any after what looked like the overhead of threading that section over resourced and slowed the process down. I just dont see any benefit of it yet. Good recommendation though. Check out googles data on .net penetration in the market and 2.0 still dwarfs all the rest. The data suprised the crap out of me actually.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have quite a bit of asynchronous stuff going on there, that's more what I was referring to as being less annoying to deal with given a TPL "easy button". After managing armies of delegates and man handling your own threads, TPL is like your brain chilling in a jacuzzi with a bunch of lady brains.

I think it's pretty snappy as it is. I just think you're working too hard. ;)

I hear you on market penetration. It's gotten A LOT better since 3.5 ships with windows 7. Still not ideal if your primary goal is accessibility.

Anywho, figured I'd toss it out there that I'm sure folks would be willing to help you out. I know I would. :D

Id say its coming as far as market penetration goes its just slow moving. You know TPL is in .NET 4 right? Ive toyed with parallel for loops for the calculation parts of the code and it actually slowed down due to the overhead of each thread it spawns. I was seriously disappointed as I wanted graphing to be almost instantaneous ... that was just me pushing virtual dyno to the limit. I now the biggest threads it spawns are the update threads and those are pretty darn simple right now.

Ohh and I love it when my brain chills in the hot tub with lady brains ... and fruit rollups.

• I Donated
Idea for the next version of VD: can you have it automatically chop out the parts of the log that have a throttle opening angle of 100? Make each of those chunks be a separate dyno run. Then, it should be easy for humans to delete the ones that don't really work as dyno pulls. It's just a pain to have to cut each of those out into separate files manually every time I want to graph a log.

Why do you log multiple pulls in each log?

I dont use 100 as WOT ... I use the maximum greater than 50 as WOT. So Id have to read the log find the max and find all spots it is at WOT and then WOT is not detected and cut the graph into pieces.

Why do you log multiple pulls in each log?

I dont use 100 as WOT ... I use the maximum greater than 50 as WOT. So Id have to read the log find the max and find all spots it is at WOT and then WOT is not detected and cut the graph into pieces.

I tend to do more than one pull at a time in the same log too, I think that's common. What if you let the user hack it up themselves? I usually do that myself manually. It would be nice to be able to do it visually all in one place without dealing with a funky excel template. Auto-generating runs would be a cool trick, but not as cool as saving me from hacking apart and saving off all these little files by hand. I don't mind picking out the runs I care about by hand. That doesn't take much effort. The grunt work is all in creating new sheet, copy/paste, save-as, etc.

Might be more work than it's worth development-wise, but I'd definitely use it if it were available.

It sounds easy in theory ... in reality it may be a bigger beast. I try to style everything after an actual dynos use. I did it this way because most dynos dont take multiple runs and split them out. Its something to think about for a while for sure.

• 2 months later...
Just released 1.1.6 .... enjoy.

I am noticing numbers from the same logs are now showing lower hp and torque. Was that an intention with the newest update or a by product? Just used the software today and it shows about 30-35 hp difference from the saved screenshot of the same log the other day with no other changes. Regardless, great product.

Edit: oh and since the update when i try and open the program it gives me a quick window error message that I can't catch in time but errors out and doesn't open. I can open it as an admin just fine though.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Just uninstalled and reinstalled, still seeing a decent decrease. I'll do some more checking. It loads just fine with the new install now though. Anyone else having the same issue?

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• I Donated

I had a similar issue, but I chalked it up to putting in the barometric pressure for the SAE correction, which I didn't do when I was still on 1.1.1.

BTW, apparently you need to run the program as an administrator in Windows Vista and 7 for the auto-upgrade to work. Might want to fix that...

• I Donated
What would be the point of UAC if you could simply program around it with APIs provided by MS? ;)

I didn't say "around," I said "for." ;) Right now, the program does not ask to elevate if you do something that needs elevation. With the APIs, I'm guessing it can.

Fun app to play with.

VirtualDyno, could you add a car? 05-07 Subaru Legacy GT. Same 5 gears as the 08-09 Legacy GT, except the final drive for the 05-07 is 3.272.

Thank you for a killer product :)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

The thing about Virtual Dyno is it requires to be run as admin because some of the functionality that it has. If you run it under UAC it will have some issues.

Most people turn that garbage off anyway. Im going to look into this issue and see why some people on the mazda forums are having issues.

@ClimberD@HexMods: Id be glad to add that car. Are the weights and everything else identical including the drag coefficient and frontal area?

I have found the issue with not being able to drag and drop files to VD and it crashing instantly when some users start it up. Its a UAC issue and I've fixed it in the latest beta that Im about to test. Ill push an update out in the next day or so. The drag and drop will NOT work with UAC turned on as this is a known problem when using UAC.

Just released 1.1.7 which should fix some of the issues in 1.1.6. The big issue people were having with UAC should be addressed now. I tested it on multiple machines with UAC turned on and before it would give the error, and after this patch, no error. Hope you all enjoy as its a minor update but fixes some pretty hefty errors.

1.1.7 working fine for me on XP and Win7. Thanks.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived