LegacyGT.com

Seriously.. do we really need 250 horses?

Speaking for the average Joe - probably not..

(1) What's more important for me is passing slow 18-wheelers on single-lane highways quickly...

(2) Be able to climb steep hills with confidence..

(3) Be able to get through snows without slipping/sliding.

Ooh.. wait.. yeah.. 250 horses.. nice to have..

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking for the average Joe - probably not..

(1) What's more important for me is passing slow 18-wheelers on single-lane highways quickly...

(2) Be able to climb steep hills with confidence..

(3) Be able to get through snows without slipping/sliding.

Ooh.. wait.. yeah.. 250 horses.. nice to have..

Interesting question...I've been driving the wife's 2.5i Wagon all week and it can do all the things you listed very easily (substitute rain for snow).

It's 168 horses are plenty for most drivers....but hot damn the 250 horses in my GT are so much fun! :lol:

250 HP helps you get through snow w/o slipping and slidding?! I want the same tires you have on your car!

250 hp is overkill - probably slips and slides more if you punch it without any foot sense :lol:

what tires??

too much HP only comes about when the car or driver can't handle it anymore! :D

I've never driven a car where I have said it had TOO MUCH power.. I've driven MANY that dont have enough..

I was born with lead foot's disease

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The fastest car I've driven is an Evo. Now, I'm not sure if it had too much power (doubtful) or if it was just way more then I was used to at the time. For comparison, at the time my old Accord still had its stock 125hp motor.

250 feels right in the Legacy. If it had less it'd just be another boring family sedan IMHO.

Interesting. Over the weekend we had a Hertz rental and sure enough it’s a silver OB 2.5 automatic. The normally aspirated 2.5 168hp drove fine in the canyons of Minneapolis and I'd guess the power range is just fine for most, however the high altitude here in Colorado sure loves its TURBO's. The OB XT 250hp scoots along just fine.....

Cheers,

MIke

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

we don't need 250....we need 400 horses. but 250 is ok. admit it, there's a bit of an ego thing knowing you can smoke other cars on the road. not that we would do it, but knowing is all the content. :-)

I need all 250, want more, and dread every time I drive around in one of the parents with the old 2.5 NA motors since it feels so slow (although mom's RS does feel quick on it's feet in turns so I won't completely tear into it.)

I'm looking for about 310 personally, that's a nice streetable number - don't have to tax your right foot with too much throttle to get the job done when it needs doin...

168? I'd probably have the driver side door open and be scootering it along! :lol:

Seriously though, there are probably plenty of times when even a 300 hp setup is only using 168 around town (for a couple of seconds anyway) - we'll just make it a lot sooner at lower RPMs :D

I'm looking for Triple Digit's numbers, too - at the wheels, not at the crank. Hopefully, my Stage 2 plans will get me there, or close enough. :)

I like power, let's be honest here, for fun.

But I also like it as a safety factor. It's good to know that you can pass that semi without breaking a sweat, and it's also good to know that you have more than enough grunt for even the steepest and shortest on-ramp.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

im so glad its 250/250 so we still stand a chance to all the damn cars nissan keeps pumping out every other month. now a 267hp eclipse (wonder hoe much tq and how much it weighs). i dread the day that an eclipse is on the same playing field as my car. i hate those cars along with celicas. they are chick cars. need to be able to catch them and check them out or make any dumb guy driving it nuts shrink when my sedan leaves him behind. personally i want another 50/50 and better suspension. just fast enough to play with almost everything on the road and easily keep everyone else in check. i don't think i could drive another n/a 4 ever again with very few exceptions.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

i dread the day that an eclipse is on the same playing field as my car.

You mean the newer, Gen.3+ NAs, right?

Certainly hope so, as either the some dozen-year-old Gen.1s and Gen.2s, with the 4g63 turbocharged engine, can really, really cook after some relatively cheap mods..... :)

But the truth of it is that the Gen.3+ Eclipses are not seen by true DSM-enthusiasts as a "DSM." Even more so, no matter which generation DSM you speak of, in my view as both a DSMer as well as a Scooby guy, they are in a totally different class from LGTs, and should really never be compared.

i hate those cars along with celicas. they are chick cars. need to be able to catch them and check them out or make any dumb guy driving it nuts shrink when my sedan leaves him behind. personally i want another 50/50 and better suspension. just fast enough to play with almost everything on the road and easily keep everyone else in check.

ROFL. :lol:

Definitely, simply because of the percentage of turbocharged and (even less) all-wheel drive DSMs produced, most that you will run in to on the streets are either way more disco than go or are "driven by girls" (careful here, buddy, this comment could land you in a whole world of hurt......there's plenty of very, very capable female drivers, there's really no place *anywhere* for this kind of oldthink).

And certainly, being that most of these cars are easily 8-10 years old by now, if not much more, if they're still stock, they'll more than likely not be in good enough condition to come anywhere close to touching even a stock 5MT LGT.

However, if you run in to even a mildly modded (300-350 horsepower at the wheels) and well-cared-for turbocharged FWD or AWD DSM -which can easily be had for well under $10,000 in excellent condition (1Gs are even lower in cost, and can be even scarier in terms of mod level) and are immensely street-able- you're going to be losing that battle regardless of whether or not you've got another 50/50 on-tap (be it at the crank -or- at the wheels).

Check-out the time-sheets these guys (and girls) are pulling before you get in to any battles, be it on the streets or highway - or on the track. :)

I didn't get an LGT to "replace" my DSM. Instead, it was bought for a whole different purpose.

A four-door family sedan, however sporty it may be and however capable it may be -even if it exceeds the performance of a two-door sports/sporty coupe- IMveryHO should not be cross-compared with said coupe.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived