LegacyGT.com

Seriously.. do we really need 250 horses?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irony is that if the tires did slip, I'd be over in Wheels/Tires bitching about how I need more traction (but not less horsepower). :lol:

Agreed. If my tires squeeled i would be a little pissed. We did not put all that money in to the car just to lose the HP due to poor traction.

You certainly don't NEED 250 horses. My last car had about 120hp and got me around just fine (although it was unbelievably boring and only did about 2-3mpg better than the LGT). Whether we all want that much power (or more) is a different issue.

Having said that, I'm getting used to my Leggy's power after owning it a month and a half. At times it pulls so hard it surprises me. Other times, I find myself going "I know you're faster than this...". Hard to know whether I should blame it on 5EAT, current gear, outside air temp, turbo not fully warmed up, or if it's just how the power delivery is. I wouldn't mind a little more power, but since I don't plan to track the car and need to keep it a reasonable daily driver, I'll probably get an AP and either stop there or at stage 2.

Legacy needs 280+ just to be considered somewhat powerful now.

Isn't the 250/250 somewhat of a modest estimate anyway?

Legacy still gets the power to the ground better than the Camry or most other cars in its class with big engines.

As others have noted, there is no way I NEED the 250 horse power. In fact, it's quite an expense for me. I burn up more gas, my car was more expensive because if it, my insurance is higher and I've been much more likely to spend money on more mods.

For all that, I actually SMILE when I drive my car. I enjoy on ramps, I enjoy passing, I enjoy the occasional pull from stop lights. I enjoy pulling out of long sweeping corners. I enjoy the power.

There are many other things I enjoy about the car, but the power is one of the most tangible things I can say make the car fun for me.

we need more torque

I would settle for a torque curve that doesn't take a nosedive after 4krpm. If torque could stay more or less constant after 4krpm, the stock 250 lb-ft would result in over 300HP at 6.5krpm. Cobb stage 2's supposed 345 lb-ft would equate to 425HP at 6.5krpm. Bigger snail helps to achieve that goal, but I guess some serious headwork would be involved to really keep the torque up at the high end of the powerband. Fortunately I don't bleed money when cut, otherwise I'd be slashing my wrists for this car.

Archived