LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

22 in that diagram is the upper spring perch and is separate from the strut mount.

thanks, guess i'll just have to give her the ole scrape and paint, hopefully its in decent enough shape. the freaking thing costs almost the same as an LCA with 2 bushings and a balljoint

thanks, guess i'll just have to give her the ole scrape and paint, hopefully its in decent enough shape. the freaking thing costs almost the same as an LCA with 2 bushings and a balljoint

They're mostly metal but they have a rubber pad on the bottom.

• 1 month later...

Looking at replacing the bushings/ball joint on the front control arms when I get around to building my koni setup. If I remember correctly, a few people got the complete mevotech assemblies from RockAuto, as opposed to the OEM assemblies for $30 more.

Just curious if anyone with the mevotechs has opinions on its durability, or if the $30 extra is worth it for subaru parts.

Looking at replacing the bushings/ball joint on the front control arms when I get around to building my koni setup. If I remember correctly, a few people got the complete mevotech assemblies from RockAuto, as opposed to the OEM assemblies for $30 more.

Just curious if anyone with the mevotechs has opinions on its durability, or if the $30 extra is worth it for subaru parts.

i'm needing to replace mine too, and i'm going with the mevotechs. for the price(if you're installing them yourself), even if you only get 3 years out of them, they're so cheap that it doesn't really make a big difference, but the upgraded bushings to help tighten stuff up will be nice.

• 2 months later...

Also need to replace my front wheel bearings.. figured I'd put in new ball joints as well since I'll have everything off and apart. What's the recommended path forward here... OEM similar replacement or upgrade? For example, front sway bar links from Moog are plenty sufficient. Don't know much about bearings and joints though... found these that have good reviews and are 1/3rd the price of Timkens: https://www.1aauto.com/subaru-front-wheel-bearing-and-hub-assembly-pair/i/1ashs00414?f=518155&y=2013&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=SHS&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhojzBRC3ARIsAGtNtHVo_IaHiFAyM7f9wwTU63X5ZOfwx39yAg9fgiMpH6SPcFTo2rODBGYaAjX3EALw_wcB

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to get a set of SumoSprings to reduce rear suspension sag on my 2010 Legacy 3.6R to help when towing a trailer. Outback owners have found SumoSprings useful.

Looking for the measurements of the existing 5th generation Legacy (2010-2014) rear springs so the correct SumoSprings can be selected.

Does anyone have these measurements handy? The following link shows what measurements are needed (see bottom of page): https://www.supersprings.com/products/coil-sumosprings/

If a kind person can provide the measurements, that would be much appreciated. Imagine a caliper and some accurate way to measure will be needed. Measurements are needed with full weight of the vehicle on the springs, plus the vehicle weight off the springs.

Another easy option is the stock height rear King Springs that you can order thru Primitive Racing in Oregon. I have tried spring inserts before and they don't really work and don't work well when they do. Just my 2 cents.

Rear strut spacers would be another option, but I think the springs are better.

I'm looking to get a set of SumoSprings to reduce rear suspension sag on my 2010 Legacy 3.6R to help when towing a trailer. Outback owners have found SumoSprings useful.

Looking for the measurements of the existing 5th generation Legacy (2010-2014) rear springs so the correct SumoSprings can be selected.

Does anyone have these measurements handy? The following link shows what measurements are needed (see bottom of page): https://www.supersprings.com/products/coil-sumosprings/

If a kind person can provide the measurements, that would be much appreciated. Imagine a caliper and some accurate way to measure will be needed. Measurements are needed with full weight of the vehicle on the springs, plus the vehicle weight off the springs.

It really should not be really sagging all that much. The tongue weight limit is 150# for the Legacy, anything more than that risks bending the subframe.

It really should not be really sagging all that much. The tongue weight limit is 150# for the Legacy, anything more than that risks bending the subframe.

The official tongue weight limit for the 5th generation Legacy and Outback is 200# for both 3.6R and 2.5i North America models. At this weight, noticed between 1" and 2" in sag (about), probably closer to 2". Outback owners (5th generation) have had similar complaints from what I've read on the Outback forums. Legacy and Outback are essentially different trim levels of the same vehicles, as indicated by the same owner's manual covering both vehicles.

As an aside, very impressed that this thread has reached 146 pages.

You are right, it is 200#'s. I was just going off the top of my head. The US legacy ratings is for 1000# towing. I am towing 1300# (over the limit) with about 125# of tongue and it barely moves with 1" Eibach lowering springs. I have the same setup on my '12 Legacy GT as well and I have towed with that.

IMG_1973.thumb.JPG.765e934d46f3885ec06d23a0af8b83f8.JPG

I dont believe subaru recommends towing with any of their sedans though. I wouldn't be surprised if they had no rating at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thus why I haven't even thought about towing with mine :lol:

I dont believe subaru recommends towing with any of their sedans though. I wouldn't be surprised if they had no rating at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In the 2012 owners manual Subaru discourages it, but it is rated for 1000#. The 6th Gen have a 0 tow rating.

I didn't buy my Legacy's to tow, but in my divorce my ex-wife vehicle was the tow vehicle so I had to do something, since I own two boats. Since buying my Outback, I haven't towed with my Legacy GT. If I did tow with my Legacy, it would be 1 1/2 miles to the boat ramp.

Edited by dgoodhue

In the 2012 owners manual Subaru discourages it, but it is rated for 1000#. The 6th Gen have a 0 tow rating.

I didn't buy my Legacy's to tow, but in my divorce my ex-wife vehicle was the tow vehicle so I had to do something, since I own two boats. Since buying my Outback, I haven't towed with my Legacy GT. If I did tow with my Legacy, it would be 1 1/2 miles to the boat ramp.

My wife has the Ascent, but she can't drive manual so I haul a utility trailer with my legacy whenever I need to, its definitely capable enough. I have loaded it down with 14 sheets of 3/4" plywood, 2x6s, and 2x4s. well over 2k lbs and it barely squatted driving and stopping was pretty undramatic as well.

• 3 months later...

A while back I replaced the struts and springs on my 2012 Legacy 2.5 Limited with the stock 2013 Subaru springs and the KYB Excel-G struts also for the 2013 model year. They fit fine and I am very satisfied with the ride and handling.

Now it is time to do this job on my wife's 2012 Outback 2.5 Limited. Does anyone know if I can expect the same interchangeability and improvement for the Outback as the Legacy?

Yes. '10-'14 legacy and outback should have interchangeable suspension. There was even a guy on here who put Outback suspension on his Legacy, but he ran into other things needing to be replaced to correct the alignment.

A while back I replaced the struts and springs on my 2012 Legacy 2.5 Limited with the stock 2013 Subaru springs and the KYB Excel-G struts also for the 2013 model year. They fit fine and I am very satisfied with the ride and handling.

Now it is time to do this job on my wife's 2012 Outback 2.5 Limited. Does anyone know if I can expect the same interchangeability and improvement for the Outback as the Legacy?

If you need the top strut isolators for the front on the Outback, I have a set I mistakenly bought for the Legacy.