LegacyGT.com

Clutch Masters FX200?

BAC5.2

FX200 has a slightly smoother engagement. We have now installed MANY FX200's. For those wanting a very close to stock feel this is it. FX300 is slightly more "grabby" than the 200 (segmented disc instead of full face). Pedal pressure is so close I can not tell the difference.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've put 500 + miles on my FX300 and do not like it... The engagement of the clutch is on or off, there is no cushion for error at all. I drove it in traffic and normal driving. The engagement is abrupt, not smooth. I drive a manual transmission car EVERY day and when the transmission was pulled the back of the engine was spotless after 96k miles (i.e. I KNOW how to drive manual, so that's not the issue). I'm sort of regretting not taking the dive on the FX200.

I tried driving the car with a particular pair of sneakers I own (KSwiss Tubes), and I don't know what it was, but I had major issues finding the catching point of the clutch with those shoes.

I have an FX300 and WRX single mass flywheel. I went with the combo due to some of the initial reviews when the clutch was still new to our market and primarily because the ACT in a local's LGT was a basket full of noise that I wouldn't put up with. I track my car from time to time, daily drive it in congested city traffic and make several long road trips per year.

I make 335whp/360wtq. The clutch holds that fine. I choose the FX300 over the FX200 because of the power level that my car makes. My stock clutch slipped in 4th and 5th on the highway, a condition I had been nursing for almost two full years. Pedal feel is lighter and smoother than stock. Happy with that aspect. The single mass flywheel is lighter than the dual mass by just enough that I found myself over revving the engine during downshifts for the first week while adjusting my driving style.

The FX300 segmented design has all the negatives of both puck and full face clutches with none of the advantages, IMO. The clutch grabs fast like a puck, difficult to modulate at low RPMS like a puck, will glaze like a full face if over heated, can't be launched like a puck... The clutch behaved much worse when new, so much that I considered replacing it within the first month. I'm closing in on 7-8K miles and it has mellowed a bit, but still reminds me daily that it was a bad decision. My wife and valets cannot drive my car. I stall it on a weekly basis.

When engaged below 1100rpm, the clutch shudders and shakes my exhaust off the rear suspension which turns heads. The clutch needs to be feathered out near 1200 Rpms or higher for smooth engagement, much higher than OEM. If you were to try and engage first gear from a dead stop, which I did from time to time in bumper to bumper traffic with the OEM, the car will jerk and the shudder sounds like a pot being banged against the bottom of the trans. Ambient temperature also greatly effects how the clutch grabs, the car drove very different from one day to another during the fall as morning temps were low and afternoon temps were high.

Every time I think I'm too picky, or possibly over reacting, I am quickly reminded it's not me when I drive one of my other two manual trans cars, or anyone's car for that matter. The RPS clutch and lightweight flywheel in my Nissan holds more power, and drives like the stock clutch in a Miata. The OEM 06 WRX clutch and flywheel in my other Subaru practically drives itself without a single piece of negative feedback. If I could do it all over again, I'd be happy to put up with a little extra noise from the ACT.

I agree with every bit of this. The throw on this clutch is really long as well.

Granted I have this in a STI 6 speed swap, but really I do not care too much for this setup. I would say their new 350 will be better.

I just talked to clutch masters this week and Lonnie told me the 300 series are going away and they are going to go all 350 with the new material.

I am putting a brand new 6 speed in my car this week. Sold my old one with the gear whine.

Pulling the FX300 out and selling it with the flywheel.......

What clutch am I putting in...... STOCK Subaru STI 6 speed clutch.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372578&highlight=stock+sti+clutch

Im tired of the crazy heavy pedal on the ACT clutches, noisy ACT clutches, Clutch masters crazy release point etc etc etc.

I drive my car every day, its 350/360 to the wheels on pump 385/425 on E85.

Watch me get 100k out of the Subaru clutch.....No AWD launches for me!

I had 112K on my stock 5 speed clutch and it still looked good when removed.

I understand they are all made by exedy

I think most times these after market clutches are overkill for most of us.

$465 with new flywheel shipped. $250 for clutch $215 for flywheel. Transmission came with TO bearing already.

There is a reason someone says "stay stock stay happy" on the clutch I agree!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I have already had inconstant results from the FX350 and had to RMA one because it never stopped slipping (at 270whp). These experiences are not just from online sales, but in house sales and installs. Results from FX300 have been FAR more consistent.

I have already had inconstant results from the FX350 and had to RMA one because it never stopped slipping (at 270whp). These experiences are not just from online sales, but in house sales and installs. Results from FX300 have been FAR more consistent.

You mentioned installing a lot of FX200's.. how consistent are these? What would be a reason for me to go with an FX300 if my goal is to run a VF52? I may go E85 eventually, which would make me lean towards an FX300, however I would like something fairly driveable, as I'm coming from an ACT HDSS setup.

FX200 are super consistent. Full face disc makes for a smoother more OEM engagement. Almost stock in feel. With the VF-52 and e-85 I would go FX300. Slightly more "grabby" and the engagement is not as smooth (segmented disc, but not a puck design) as the 200. But excellent pedal feel and will hold the power. Should be a far lighter pedal than the ACT.

Just got done reading the thread. Seems like fx300 vs fx200 vs ACT is the competition. I'm in the DC area (traffic is crazy, lots of stop and go). I like to drive "enthusiastically" from time to time. I'll probably never see a track, but I would like to go up to stage 2. I'm thinking fx200. Thoughts?

I have the FX200 and a WRX flywheel. I am very happy and drive it daily in traffic - stop and go highway traffic - and it doesn't bother me. The clutch pedal is lighter and smoother that stock and I am extremely happy with it. The break-in period is either 500 or 1,000 miles (can't remember), and I've now had it for several thousand miles. It took about 1,500 miles before it engaged smoothly on downshift, so I would rev match a bit on downshift after the break-in period until that improved, but I don't do that any more. I would absolutely buy it again.

What modifications/power are you at?

I have the FX200 and a WRX flywheel. I am very happy and drive it daily in traffic - stop and go highway traffic - and it doesn't bother me. The clutch pedal is lighter and smoother that stock and I am extremely happy with it. The break-in period is either 500 or 1,000 miles (can't remember), and I've now had it for several thousand miles. It took about 1,500 miles before it engaged smoothly on downshift, so I would rev match a bit on downshift after the break-in period until that improved, but I don't do that any more. I would absolutely buy it again.

IIRC dyno: 271/292. Tuner stated I needed a bpv and exhaust to get more. I've finally got that done so I need another tune and expect to get about 300 with lots of supporting mods on a VF52.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm debating between the FX200, FX300, and FX350.

My goal is to have something that has a lighter pedal feel and is easy to daily drive. I hate the stock clutch currently in the car. It's really stiff and it stinks terribly after a short period of normal driving. I've driven manual transmissions exclusively for the last 10 years, and this clutch is the worst.

I'm currently stock, and the farthest I'm going to potentially modify is Protuned stage 2 on 91. With that in mind, is there any reason for me to get above the FX200? It seems like the best daily driver choice.

Thoughts?

With those potential goals in mind the FX200 should fit the bill for a DD. No need to go overkill and lose some of the ease of drivability.

My thoughts exactly.. I can personally say that the closer you match the power level to the clutch capacity, the happier you'll be. I went with the ACT with aspirations of going STG3, however I've been STG2 for 30k now. The pressure plate is so strong the clutch doesn't want to slip, so daily driving hasn't been very enjoyable. The FX200 should be a perfect STG2 clutch.

Archived