LegacyGT.com

Clutch Masters FX200?

BAC5.2

I installed an FX200 in an 08 STi. Finally. Feels exactly the same as a 300. Put the first 150+ miles on it. Then drove it again this weekend for final tune (500+ mile clutch and motor break in done, yes built motor). Feels like a FX300 to me.

So, now I know a FX200 can handle stage2 with a built motor in an STi. But, honestly I felt nothing different. Other than better pressure and spring return, they feel awfully stock to me. I can easily engage them with no throttle, just clutch pedal. No judder, no stalling, smooth.

First real complaint I have heard from an FX300 owner. Other than why cant it hold 500whp. Installing another FX300 (in an LGT wagon) this week.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's at least one other complaint in this thread here
Still hate it. Not arguing that most don't share my experience, but I don't see how anything can be wrong with my install, wrong enough to cause my issues, but not wrong enough to keep me from operating without further degradation or catastrophic failure. While I would never buy another, one can't help but feel confident in the percentage of positive reviews.

• I Donated
I wonder if the two complaints were due to a bad unit. Whether it be the clutch disk or pressure plate.

Did you say you were unhappy with the FX300, or was maddoc the only one in the area who was? I was thinking maybe we could swap around cars at a meet or something and see if the clutch feel/uptake is the same.

I too can be added to the list of people with sharp/juddery/not smooth engagement of the fx300. To add to it when on the freeway and step on the gas, I get a quick slip and then the clutch grabs and holds after that. I only have 9k miles on it. The engagement is substantially better after those 9k miles but I don't know how long it will last. I almost wonder if the clutch just takes a really long time to break in if you aren't close to it's holding potential. I am not even stage2 yet, but I installed this with modding in my future, and because my oem tob was going to explode.

Granted I have a 5th gen and the clutch is still in break in at 450 miles (only probably half are city driving) but my FX100 is very on/off like some people have been describing.

I feel like it is getting better but it's probably going to take quite a bit of mileage/shift to break it in. It's the same pressure plate as an FX200 but has an exedy organic disk versus the kevlar disk.

Why did you get the Organic disc instead of the kevlar? Kevlar clutches have a near-infinite service life.

Unless you plan on drag racing the car...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Why did you get the Organic disc instead of the kevlar? Kevlar clutches have a near-infinite service life.

Unless you plan on drag racing the car...

It may see a trip to the drag strip later this summer or in the fall.

Really though it's my daily driver which means it encounters stop and go traffic, less break-in and unlike the organic disk if you overheat the kevlar it won't it's original characteristics so I understand.

Cost was also a factor.

FX100 = $455 and FX200 = $628

I also wanted to see how it compared to the ACT HDSS everyone is using since they both use organic disks. Feels a lot stronger than the stock clutch, very grabby but the pedal feel is like stock with a much better engagement point than stock (once you get going). Rutchard's HDSS has a waaaaay heavier pedal feel.

The pressure plates on CM clutches are OEM that have been reworked. You can easily see the Exedy markings stamped in them. Lol.

The two complaints sound like they might have some type of issue. Possibly alignment or manufacturers "defect". Not sure if new FW's were used with installs either. My experience is that Subarus do not always like resurfaced FW's.

The two complaints sound like they might have some type of issue. Possibly alignment or manufacturers "defect". Not sure if new FW's were used with installs either. My experience is that Subarus do not always like resurfaced FW's.

Brand new WRX SMFW, clutch installed by very competent mechanic.

The pressure plates on CM clutches are OEM that have been reworked. You can easily see the Exedy markings stamped in them. Lol.

I actually looked the PP on my FX100 over pretty well for that and didn't find anything that said Exedy. The disk on the other hand is definitely sourced from Exedy.

Wings with shield logo. You can read Exedy on most through the paint too.

Older WRX's and a few 05 LGT's had a Sachs.

Not saying install is incorrect, that can be straight forward enough. I said alignment. Not of the input shaft. Of the entire drivetrain. Motor mounts, and tranny mounts usually get a good work out during a swap. Not to mention the many miles on them before the swap. Drive train misalignment can increase judder.

Re-surfaced FW's can cause extreme judder in Subarus. This I have experienced first hand.

Not to go off topic but I have a Spec Stage I with 40K on it and it started slipping in 5th last night. So I plan on dumping the DM flywheel and I need something to handle at least 400-450ft lbs and will last longer than a set of spark plugs!

What is the heaviest one piece flywheel I can find for my car, not including the DM unit? ( I do not like lightened flywheels )

Oem smfw.

Thanks Mike. What is the consensus for the longevity on the 300 series vs the 200 series CM kit? I am really disappointed I only got 40K out of this Spec. It is a full face kevlar unit, which I thought would last longer.

I honestly do not have any personal experience with long term use of the 200. Most times longevity is decided by driving style. If you babied it and it lasted 40k that would be very disappointing.

Ive always had my eye on the 200 but havent seen alot of feedback on it. In theory it should last a very long time. I may pick one up and give it a try, mostly had my reservations due to it being the same price as the 300.

A full face kevlar disc SHOULD last nearly indefinitely, so long as you don't overheat it (drag racing, or excessive slipping).
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 11 months later...

I thought I would resurrect this to see if there actually are more than two people with actual experience with the FX200?

It seems like the reason people like the FX300 'better' (without actual comparision) is that it is supposed to hold power better. If a person isn't putting down 400whp, but wants a clutch that is stronger than OEM, feels like stock, and is most interested in longetivity, then the FX200 seems like the best choice.

Any firsthand experience with them in a DD?

Archived