LegacyGT.com

Clutch Masters FX200?

BAC5.2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am seriously considering fx200. I wanted to go with STI fitment but than I would have to change FW. It looks like Spec b's FW is 19 LBS and STI's 24 ? I think the stock FW is perfect I don't want to go heavier and I certainly don't care to go any lighter either. The closest match seems to be exedy's 15lbs LWFW. Am I stuck with OEM clutch if I want to keep my FW? I am confused

• I Donated
ok, so it is possible....did you turn the FW when switching clutch?

Yes. Highly recommended. But make sure the runout between the friction surface and the lip where the PP bolts on is within spec. A lot of people will just turn the friction surface, which results in higher-than-normal runout, i.e. your clutch will always be ever so slightly disengaged and thus more likely to slip. I had a reputable local automotive machine shop do mine, and they made sure the runout was within spec by machining both friction surface and mating surface, and by doing each by an equal amount.

SpecB flywheels use a different mount for the pressure plate. A SpecB FW has no stands on it while a STI does. You can not use a SpecB FW with an STi clutch. The pressure plate wont bolt up.

STi FW has a slightly larger friction area than a SpecB FW as well. STi is made to hold more power from the factory.

Pix of the FW's for reference. SpecB FW is OEM, STi is an ACT. SpecB on the left and STi on the right.

20131203_134801.thumb.jpg.1d67799a83a0f7af9b4b74d13a77c0e6.jpg

20131203_134819.thumb.jpg.c13b6c62e8822a8e8cd4fc8dd8a85db7.jpg

• I Donated
SpecB flywheels use a different mount for the pressure plate. A SpecB FW has no stands on it while a STI does. You can not use a SpecB FW with an STi clutch. The pressure plate wont bolt up.

STi FW has a slightly larger friction area than a SpecB FW as well. STi is made to hold more power from the factory.

Pix of the FW's for reference. SpecB FW is OEM, STi is an ACT. SpecB on the left and STi on the right.

I am now confused. I could have sworn I used an STI clutch on my Spec.B (stepped) FW. I'll have to email South Bend and check.

EDIT: the sales order in my email says it is an "STI fitment." I have an email in to the sales rep to double-check.

If FW is "stepped" (what I called "stands") it is an STi FW. I even noted the build date on the SpecB FW when I pulled it (07/08). ACT was pulled from my own 08 SpecB after a short (less than 1000 miles) test (it was used with an ACT HDXtreme STi clutch).

• I Donated
If FW is "stepped" (what I called "stands") it is an STi FW. I even noted the build date on the SpecB FW when I pulled it (07/08). ACT was pulled from my own 08 SpecB after a short (less than 1000 miles) test (it was used with an ACT HDXtreme STi clutch).

Ah, I get it now. Maybe it's stepped on earlier Spec.Bs? Mine is an early 07. I don't think the clutch was replaced before I got it.

I have never seen a SpecB with an STi style FW installed from the factory. All 07-09 SpecB's are supposed to have the same clutch/fw from the factory. There are some "red headed step children" 5MT's out there, possibly there are a few SpecB's too.

Spec is the only brand I can think of off the top of my head that still makes aftermarket SpecB clutches. There used to be a (small) few, but the STi swap has always been so popular the SpecB specific kits have faded away.

• Moderators

This is getting interesting. The 6mt I have in the garage is from an 07 spec.b that had 70k miles on it. The condition of the clutch disc was consistent with that mileage as far as I could tell and looked just like the other stock clutches I've seen. It had a stepped flywheel, here's a pic:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/SpecB%20Flywheel%20and%20Clutch/DSC_0354_zps1ea4ddee.jpg

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
If the "spec.b" flywheel weighs 19lbs (meaning the one without the steps), then the STi flywheel weighs the same. I have a brand new STi flywheel in the garage and I just weighed it at 19.6 lbs with the bubble wrap--just a bathroom scale so 19lbs seems within the margin of error.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 10 months later...
This is getting interesting. The 6mt I have in the garage is from an 07 spec.b that had 70k miles on it. The condition of the clutch disc was consistent with that mileage as far as I could tell and looked just like the other stock clutches I've seen. It had a stepped flywheel, here's a pic:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/SpecB%20Flywheel%20and%20Clutch/DSC_0354_zps1ea4ddee.jpg

That's what my 08 Spec B Clutch looks like. Interesting TBS.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived