LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

I just bought an 05 wagon that came with an 18g + fuel mods. 1-2 & 2-3 shift fine, but when I do a WOT pull in 3rd, at 5k rpm's exactly it starts to bounce off the rev limiter. I haven't gotten 4th gear up to 5k. If I manually shift at 4500, it's fine, rev limiter only hits if i stay on the gas trying to get higher RPM's.

I've searched and found 3 options:

1) engine revs faster than tranny can shift (fixed with this VB mod)

2) worn clutch packs

3) ECU/TCU tune issue

Anyone experience something similar?

Well, ruptured a cooler line spraye trans fluid everywhere, replaced line refilled trans added 3 quarts and it was showing full, but the trail of fluid I left up my street seems more than 3

When my new tranny was installed, torque converter had also been drained for the most part. We would fill to the level on the dipstick and then go for a test drive. It would not shift gears and then dipstick would show low again. Had to top off the tranny fluid 10 times before it really showed full.

So, in my case I had to be very careful at first. Any signs of poor shifting after a tranny service, or in your case a leak, watch the fluid levels very closely. After running through the gears, likely your fluid levels will need to be topped off.

Typically after a tranny pan drain/fill I'd be between 3-4 quarts to get it topped off again. But every leak/service will be different.

Best of luck!

• Mega Users
The pan only holds around 4 qts, but there are around 6 qts still left in the rest of the transmission. When a cooling line got a pin hole with my car, I lost about 8qts of fluid. The only warning I had of a problem was when most of it was drained and the car would barely move. Talk about a heart attack...

i didnt lose that much( compared to 8) i can see the start and end of my trail luckily i was turning onto my street. She shifts fine, solid like pre- rupture. Seems i guess i only lost 3 qts, im going to keep an eye on it daily for now, and I think if I let it get to me mentally ill end up draining the pan into a clean container and seeing how much comes out, then filll it back up to normal specs.

When I had the vb modded, when it came time to refill the tranny, didn't drive the car around. Let it idle and kept cycling through all the gears positions and kept adding fluid as it kept going down. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all driving a seriously underfilled trans just following service.

does this shorten the time in the shift from when you click the shifter? it usually takes a second from the time you click it up to the next gear till the shift even happens...

nope. that is software shit.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

My tranny scared me shitless when it was low enough on fluid to not allow the car to move. Not sure where the fluid WENT, but it was a quart low.

When I did my VB I didnt do any cycling on stands, but rather in my driveway and took it easy on the road through all gears.

My tranny scared me shitless when it was low enough on fluid to not allow the car to move. Not sure where the fluid WENT, but it was a quart low.

When I did my VB I didnt do any cycling on stands, but rather in my driveway and took it easy on the road through all gears.

Been there done that. I was down a quart after my first swap, though it took going on a few miles of road for the level to drop that much. Got there, had a very hard time getting back. Then added ATF and all was well.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

This was pre-VB install though. The fluid just vanished. No visible leaks either. Post-VB all is well though, except for the occasional aftershock shift from 3rd into 4th. Damn thing bucks like a pissed off bull when it hits. lol.

does this shorten the time in the shift from when you click the shifter? it usually takes a second from the time you click it up to the next gear till the shift even happens...

Iirc anything under 1.8 or 2 seconds is normal. 1.5 seconds is what it should be at. Don't remember what official literature I read this in but it was specifically about the 5EAT.

And the engagement lag is mechanical, not programmatic.

Edited by fishbone

Iirc anything under 1.8 or 2 seconds is normal. 1.5 seconds is what it should be at. Don't remember what official literature I read this in but it was specifically about the 5EAT.

And the engagement lag is mechanical, not programmatic.

the delay from pressing the button to the time the shift begins is mechanical ?

i guess it could be proven with the free ssm program ?

I feel that my shifts happen more quickly now than without the VB mod. Software delay or not, I believe the actual shift happens faster than ever. Seems to me the mechanics happen more quickly, rather than hanging in between shifts, software delay or not.

I feel that my shifts happen more quickly now than without the VB mod. Software delay or not, I believe the actual shift happens faster than ever. Seems to me the mechanics happen more quickly, rather than hanging in between shifts, software delay or not.

the delay to the begining of the shift is the same. the actual shift is faster.

The stock shifts begin to ramp up slowly, which prolongs the perceived delay between button push and feeling it shift.

Still irritating compared to those Lamborghini or GT-R videos, but nothing's perfect.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

even an nissian maxima shifts instantly on its cvt manual mode setting.

but the 5 eat i'm sure will also with aftermarket controls.

my grand prix tranny shifted instantly once i took control of it.