LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

That is interesting. Thank you for letting me know about this issue. Basically, the Input Clutch needs a little more line pressure at the lowest level. There might be an easy ECU tuning fix for that. I need some time to mess with it, and that is the one thing I do not have right now. But keep in touch and I'll see about smoothing that out for you. What tuning software do you use?
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

That is interesting. Thank you for letting me know about this issue. Basically, the Input Clutch needs a little more line pressure at the lowest level. There might be an easy ECU tuning fix for that. I need some time to mess with it, and that is the one thing I do not have right now. But keep in touch and I'll see about smoothing that out for you. What tuning software do you use?

Romraider. If you need a log of the issue just let me know what to log. Its easy to replicate

Quick review of the F1 valve body exchange and function:

Exchange process:

- Customer service is / was outstanding. Received the valve body in very short order.

- Packaging was beyond excellent. Very impressive and well thought out! Came double boxed with all baggies and absorbent materials. Made the exchange as easy as it gets.

- Exchange valve body was clean and ready to go. Did not know what to expect but what I received looked brand new and ready to install.

Installation notes:

- When installing, be VERY careful placing your hand near the pickup screen portion of the valve body. It is razor sharp and sliced my hand open good, cutting right through the glove and straight down my index finger (OUCH) No stitches required but not far off from needing them so be careful!

- Pay attention to the gear selection solenoid? Make sure it lines up with your linkage. The valve body I received had been moved so was not lined up for install (takes about 1 second to line it up and should be common sense for most)

- As stated, the valve body rains fluid. Then rains some more.. .and then even more and more and more. Once you get it out... It will still leak a lot! Have proper clean up material handy.

- My tranny had never been drained before (75K miles) but I found it interesting that it was overfilled from the factory. When cold on a flat surface, the level was about 3/8 above the hot / full line. it drained exactly 8 quarts into the pan and I added 8 back. Still overfull to the same level. Could this cause any issue? Should I drain some out? Made it this far overfilled so probably not a worry :rolleyes:

- Overall installation was a breeze. Swapped the valve body out and let the new sealant on the pan cure for 24 hours. Then filled.

- You will need a long neck funnel to get down to the dipstick tube to re-fill

- Smart to have a 1/4" in. lb. torque wrench on hand. Much more accurate than trying to use a large torque wrench at such a low setting.

Noticed changes:

- I did not reset the tcu. I just started to drive the car around today and in all honesty from the get-go it shifted just fine, only a couple initial - very light oddities in the first mile. Driving normal, shifts were just slightly more firm than stock (feels like it should be that way).

- Downshifts are more... performance feeling. Each gear clicks down as if it was a manual downshifting (slightly less harsh than dropping a gear and releasing a clutch) Not a perfect description but not harsh and feels like it should be this way.

- After a few hours cruising around, going from manual mode to auto mode, back and forth between sport and regular. Mix of freeway and surface I finally got on it. WOW! Shifts are excellent up top! Each shift is firm and hits quite nice. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 all hit hard but not harsh. Sets you in the seat nicely between shifts. Feels like the car should have come this way from the factory.

- I have not noticed any shift abnormalities at all in any gear. Overall when daily driving it feels stock but more firm and solid between gears and downshifts. Hammer the car or go to pass and shifting is quick and gear changes are excellent, quick and tight. She is not a slushbox any longer!

I watched some videos of the shifting prior to purchase but in all honesty they just do not translate the difference you actually feel. I highly recommend this mod! No more flabby, slow, bloated shifting. For the price, it really transforms the feel of the car. Even the wife gave it a huge thumbs up - loved the difference :lol: Appreciate you offering this service.

Romraider. If you need a log of the issue just let me know what to log. Its easy to replicate

Please email me your map, and please note vehicle year, model.

hex mods at g mail dot com. (spelled out to avoid internet crawlers)

Please log RPM, MPH, Requested Torque, Throttle Plate Position, Total Ignition Timing, as I'm curious to see what the log says. I only need within a few seconds before and after.

Thank you.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Quick review of the F1 valve body exchange and function:

Exchange process:

- Customer service is / was outstanding. Received the valve body in very short order.

- Packaging was beyond excellent. Very impressive and well thought out! Came double boxed with all baggies and absorbent materials. Made the exchange as easy as it gets.

- Exchange valve body was clean and ready to go. Did not know what to expect but what I received looked brand new and ready to install.

Installation notes:

- When installing, be VERY careful placing your hand near the pickup screen portion of the valve body. It is razor sharp and sliced my hand open good, cutting right through the glove and straight down my index finger (OUCH) No stitches required but not far off from needing them so be careful!

- Pay attention to the gear selection solenoid? Make sure it lines up with your linkage. The valve body I received had been moved so was not lined up for install (takes about 1 second to line it up and should be common sense for most)

- As stated, the valve body rains fluid. Then rains some more.. .and then even more and more and more. Once you get it out... It will still leak a lot! Have proper clean up material handy.

- My tranny had never been drained before (75K miles) but I found it interesting that it was overfilled from the factory. When cold on a flat surface, the level was about 3/8 above the hot / full line. it drained exactly 8 quarts into the pan and I added 8 back. Still overfull to the same level. Could this cause any issue? Should I drain some out? Made it this far overfilled so probably not a worry :rolleyes:

- Overall installation was a breeze. Swapped the valve body out and let the new sealant on the pan cure for 24 hours. Then filled.

- You will need a long neck funnel to get down to the dipstick tube to re-fill

- Smart to have a 1/4" in. lb. torque wrench on hand. Much more accurate than trying to use a large torque wrench at such a low setting.

Noticed changes:

- I did not reset the tcu. I just started to drive the car around today and in all honesty from the get-go it shifted just fine, only a couple initial - very light oddities in the first mile. Driving normal, shifts were just slightly more firm than stock (feels like it should be that way).

- Downshifts are more... performance feeling. Each gear clicks down as if it was a manual downshifting (slightly less harsh than dropping a gear and releasing a clutch) Not a perfect description but not harsh and feels like it should be this way.

- After a few hours cruising around, going from manual mode to auto mode, back and forth between sport and regular. Mix of freeway and surface I finally got on it. WOW! Shifts are excellent up top! Each shift is firm and hits quite nice. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 all hit hard but not harsh. Sets you in the seat nicely between shifts. Feels like the car should have come this way from the factory.

- I have not noticed any shift abnormalities at all in any gear. Overall when daily driving it feels stock but more firm and solid between gears and downshifts. Hammer the car or go to pass and shifting is quick and gear changes are excellent, quick and tight. She is not a slushbox any longer!

I watched some videos of the shifting prior to purchase but in all honesty they just do not translate the difference you actually feel. I highly recommend this mod! No more flabby, slow, bloated shifting. For the price, it really transforms the feel of the car. Even the wife gave it a huge thumbs up - loved the difference :lol: Appreciate you offering this service.

Thank you for the write-up. I really like receiving feedback. Some people do not say much, and I am not good about pushing for information.

With the vehicle all warmed up from a normal drive, still running and parked on level ground, the dipstick should not read above the Hot Max level. If it does (only by a little) you probably don't need to mess with it. If it's by more than a little, I recommend pulling the plug very slowly and carefully to drain half a quart or whatever it takes to get you around the middle level of the dipstick. It's better for the whole transmission in the long run.

Please email me your map, and please note vehicle year, model.

hex mods at g mail dot com. (spelled out to avoid internet crawlers)

Please log RPM, MPH, Requested Torque, Throttle Plate Position, Total Ignition Timing, as I'm curious to see what the log says. I only need within a few seconds before and after.

Thank you.

You'll have it tomorrow. Thanks for the support.

• 4 months later...

I need help. New to forums but it seems to be that I need your f1 mod Done on my 2005 legacy gt wagon. I've done quite a bit of mods to reach what I believe is full stage 2. After mod ding through a shop called pacific im port auto in tacoma I picked up my car slipping in 5th gear and shifty shifting. They said they didn't 2 or on the transmission so they said that I needed to replace it. I replaced it and found the new one did the exactly same thing. Frustrating by the way. After research in and talking to a couple better shops it seemus that I don't have enough line pressure and that your f1 mod will fix it. I'm ready.

2005 legacy gt wagon

No previous work done by ipt

And yes I'm ready.

ok are you asking for boost when not full throttle ?

could you show your boost map ?

why i am asking some tuners for mt cars like to tune the tables to where they try to build boost when at part throttle. the 5 eat and tcu don't like it !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 1 month later...

anyone with the VB upgrade have a hard shift into Drive on the first start of the day (and/or car very cold)? Meaning, start the car in the morning, shift from park to drive, and it's a pretty stiff shift getting into drive.

I'm guessing it's because the cold fluid (and my cold idle seems pretty high). Just wondering if others have the same clunk.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes the first shift into gear it bangs pretty good. I found that with mine, if I let the car idle for a minute or two it bangs harder than if I just start and go.

I found if I let it idle for 10-20 seconds (it idles 1200 to 1500 RPM), just to get the fluids moving, then blip the throttle and let the RPM drop (mine goes to 700ish), gear engagement is barely noticeable.

• 3 months later...
I found if I let it idle for 10-20 seconds (it idles 1200 to 1500 RPM), just to get the fluids moving, then blip the throttle and let the RPM drop (mine goes to 700ish), gear engagement is barely noticeable.

Same here, always a blip to lower the rpms. When it's cold out, taking it out of P to R is a bit stiff, other than that smooth shifting.

Though it can shift on it's own (in sport mode) from 2nd to 3rd around 4k if I hammer on the gas. Has always done it since I've owned the car.

• 1 month later...
Spoke to David Today on the phone, and he put my heart and brain at ease. Thanks to the member that had the testicular fortitude to give me his number, you know who you are ;). he told me and i quote; some times i have to get away from the cars to get other things done in my life, end quote. i under stand because some times i have to do it also, it's water under the bridge. i could hear his enthusiasm in his voice when he talks about the cars, like i am with all subaru's especially mine. i love that stupid thing and it's become a passionate hobby so when i get cranky about the parts i need for the car don't judge me. i like to order,pay and receive my product as quickly as possible. David told me not to install the valve body till i have the new turbo installed and dialed in by the tuner. why? because the tuner won't now why the car is behaving the way it is and will try to fix it through mapping. So it's not urgent to get the VB by Saturday, but i sill want it by next week :lol:. Edited by HellShadow70