LegacyGT.com

North-East OHIO 2.5GTs ? Sighting, GTGs, etc.

TSiWRX

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Hopefully not one of the 6-cyl. models, because your municipality is trying to save on gas! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ You might want to check that....there are many municipalities, nationwide, who use the 6-cyl. platform. Some aren't even the HO variant.

There used to be a running thread on RD.net regarding various enforcement vehicles, and many times, especially for local-level governments, they more mind fuel-economy than power.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Here in N. Royalton, all the cruisers are FWD Chevy Impalas -- except for the odd Expedition and the two H-D Motos. I asked one of the officers about the Impalas, and he said they're actually pretty decent. Quicker than the old Crown Vics, more fuel efficient, and very reliable. I guess you can't ask for more than that.

ya but theres one flaw with those impalas...next time your see one, look at the ground clearance....they dont have the clearance to go over curbs. so if their chasing someone (far fetched) and the suspect decides to go on an offroad adventure, the impala wont be able to follow w/o majorly damaging something. if its even still drivable after a curb hop

Here in N. Royalton, all the cruisers are FWD Chevy Impalas -- except for the odd Expedition and the two H-D Motos. I asked one of the officers about the Impalas, and he said they're actually pretty decent. Quicker than the old Crown Vics, more fuel efficient, and very reliable. I guess you can't ask for more than that.

I'm actually very surprised at how well modern FWDs do, in the service/fleet role. A decade ago, I remember how they were viewed with distaste.

It seems that, currently, fuel-efficiency is becoming more and more of an issue.

One of the car-rags, a year or two ago, had a comparison of the Impala, the Charger, and the Crown Vic. - including how they stacked up to a mock chase scenario on an artificial city grid. Their performance, relative to even modern family sedans, is rather laughable (but in perspective of the fact that most cruisers drag around about a quarter-ton or more of service equipment, physics makes it quite clear that it's just unavoidable), and when stacked up against more performance-oriented vehicles (even the low-powered but ultra-nimble Miata), how they were completely left in the dust.

It's really all about the Motorola. :)

Guys:

Having passed all three tests in a ridiculously short time period, I'm fully committed to coming out next Wednesday night.

Anybody else in?

Congrats and I'm off Wednesdays for the time being.

^ You might want to check that....there are many municipalities, nationwide, who use the 6-cyl. platform. Some aren't even the HO variant.

There used to be a running thread on RD.net regarding various enforcement vehicles, and many times, especially for local-level governments, they more mind fuel-economy than power.

Specs are empty cars. impala trumps the non lsd p71 and slightly beats the 3.55 p71. Charger was the most expensive and faster 5.7l but in real word the impala with all police gear and 2 officers is uber slow vs a p71 with o/d off. The best buy is the p71 for reasons listed below and 95% of what is installed in a 1989 p71 police car can go in a 2010 p71. Only measurements that drastically changed between then was the extended frame police and taxi models.

The impalas are the perfect unmarked traffic car in a urban area cause for years and years everyone looks for the p71.

ya but theres one flaw with those impalas...next time your see one, look at the ground clearance....they dont have the clearance to go over curbs. so if their chasing someone (far fetched) and the suspect decides to go on an offroad adventure, the impala wont be able to follow w/o majorly damaging something. if its even still drivable after a curb hop

I would scream repost but I have to go back 3 yrs in my posts. The 2000+ MY impala and current charger is not designed to hop curbs like the body on frame p71. Impala you rip the front air dam/facia off and charger spiderwebs the windshields.

I wish I had the footage of the impala hopping the curb! We had a new guy hop out of his car in pursuit w/o putting it in park and OMFG we found it in a empty field doing reverse donuts. lights and siren still going.

Congrats delete your youtube and anything you think that can come back and bite you asap :p

The 2000+ MY impala and current charger is not designed to hop curbs like the body on frame p71. Impala you rip the front air dam/facia off and charger spiderwebs the windshields.

this.....its exactly what i found during my research. thats why i dont get why PD's are buying so many of them. does anyone know how the magnums are as police vehicles cause richfield just bought a whole fleet of em.

this.....its exactly what i found during my research. thats why i dont get why PD's are buying so many of them. does anyone know how the magnums are as police vehicles cause richfield just bought a whole fleet of em.

cheaper price @ the time of sale and people thinking every ford* catches fire @ the drop of a hat. The issue has been corrected and proper instal/load procedures were also published. If you pay more there was a fire suppression system added on top of the standard kevlar shield.

Edited by Merc6

Specs are empty cars.

That's a very good point - are there any documented (and publically available) sources for specs on how the vehicles are, in terms of performance, comparatively, when a "typical" loadout is in the cabin and trunk?

The impalas are the perfect unmarked traffic car in a urban area cause for years and years everyone looks for the p71.

^ +1. It's so hard to adjust to, mentally.

I wish I had the footage of the impala hopping the curb! We had a new guy hop out of his car in pursuit w/o putting it in park and OMFG we found it in a empty field doing reverse donuts. lights and siren still going.

Congrats delete your youtube and anything you think that can come back and bite you asap :p

^ :lol:

There was 2 pdf printouts but they were on a computer that is no longer functional. It had the bill of sale for both a 9C1 and P71. Ford had the normal plus a pre wiring option and other features unique to it. For example the trunk button has 2 separate harness setups factory. Pull the dash and plug in the harness you want. The option was pop trunk like a normal car or you must have the key in the ignition to gain access to the trunk. Chevy has this but it looks like it is a feature that has to be added when ordering. The list is long and I couldn't find prices/info of new cars. I heard of people getting them new thru internet/fleet sales or they ordered too many.

This is fords link

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2009fleetshowroom/2009-crvicpoliceint.asp

My favorite option barley used was this https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/CVPI/pdfs/2007/Ballistics.wmv

Chevy

http://www.gmfleet.com/government/police/chevy-impala/index.jsp

^ Damn do those plates look *heavy!*

Question - when they decommission vehicles, do they take those out of service as well, or do they stay with the car?

^ Damn do those plates look *heavy!*

Question - when they decommission vehicles, do they take those out of service as well, or do they stay with the car?

no clue and I doubt that shows up in the vin other than P71!

*Edit*

If you opened the doors on any police car you would clearly know they are in there from the feel and sound it makes when it closes.

Edited by Merc6

For those showing up on saturday...

Schedule:

12:00pm we meet macedonia best buy lot.

1:00pm-1:45pm Team Registration

1:45pm Drivers Meeting

2:00pm First Car Out

Pics from the last one

http://www.330tuning.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=58

and one before

http://www.330tuning.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=57

no clue and I doubt that shows up in the vin other than P71!

*Edit*

If you opened the doors on any police car you would clearly know they are in there from the feel and sound it makes when it closes.

^ That's a damned good point. I never think of the obvious! :p

^ That's a damned good point. I never think of the obvious! :p

yeah the P71 has rental car sound when you close them but a towncar has the vault doors sound. When I got out of a p71 and into my marauder that was the 1st thing I noticed.