LegacyGT.com

North-East OHIO 2.5GTs ? Sighting, GTGs, etc.

TSiWRX

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just ordered a crown vic grille for some DIY action

thinking of DIY lip and possibly clearing the headlights

have you guys done the DIY lip before?

anyone interested in helping out?? taking off the front bumper freaks me out, im such a pussy

CVPI black honeycomb or LX Sport chrome bar type?

• 3 weeks later...
^ Why can't I make those sightings!!!! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Unfortunately, as-usual, I'm likely to be a no-show. :redface:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

For that, seriously, you should just swing by some Friday afternoon, when we've got the nanny! :)

It's seriously doable in less than 30 minutes, especially with two people.

One thing that would concern me, seriously, about doing it now (as in within the next two weeks or so) would be how hot it is/it's gonna be. That 3M tape is pretty darned good in terms of initial bonding at between 70 to about 50 deg. F., but much above or below, and you'll see a decrease in how well it adheres (once "cured," though, it'll hold through sub-zero weather and impact with ice/snow, and won't sag even in 100+ deg. F. weather).

Anybody want to help me rebuild my suspension in the near future? On tap:

Struts, F/R (an all hdwe -- mounts/boots/etc.)

Both (all four) control arm bushings

Hubs/wheel bearings

Ball joints

It seems that I'll need a press for the bushings. Has anyone got one, or should I just pony up the $160 for a HFT 20-ton press?

Thanks.

:)

Hot damn, that sounds like fun - and a good learning experience for me. I truly wish I had the time. :(

Dude, check on LERSOC. Virtually every tool known to man is up for LERSOC-bro-lease, from someone or another. :) My Tactrix cable is like a cheap whore! Everyone in LERSOC's had a go with her, I think! :lol:

i was planning on taking the bumper off for it though, i figured it would be easier with it off? i gotta take it off to swap grilles anyhow, i should have a spare grille on the way soon so i can mod it beforehand. i also am considering baking the headlights when i have the bumper off to remove the amber

on top of that i need to install a whiteline rear sway which will be a piece of cake

i also have lower control arm bushings that need to be installed too so maybe we can find someone to do both of ours?? are you upgrading or replacing oem? i have a whiteline kit that i am pressing in.

i also plan on painting my calipers at some point, lol i hope it cools down soon

i also plan on painting my calipers at some point, lol i hope it cools down soon

I just painted mine black with the G2 kit from TireRack a couple of months ago. Two pieces of advice: do it on a cool day so the paint doesn't harden too quick and use a wire wheel in a drill or die grinder to clean up the calipers. I didn't remove the calipers completely, but did pull the pads out.

i have to comment on this lol. just to vent. im not talking down on you or making an attack, i just think its kinda funny. i wish i could complain it was too hot to do brakes. when i spotted that milf in mayfield village, i was on my way to work, i work for a commercial painting company(mostly the inside of warehouses). today and the next 2 days we're on top of the roof of the raquet club there (for whoever knows the area or the building) painting half the roof. which just half of it is over the size of a football field. on the roof, that we're painting white btw so it just bounces the heat back on us, with the heat index up there and standing on dirty white paint that were painting over, its 107*. we were on the roof for about 5 hrs today, gonna be 6-7 tomorrow, thank god friday were just hanging siding around the back of the building but well still be in the sun, just not on the roof.

on another note for berkshire. is that your car in your avatar. if so, do you work in broadview hts? theres a white LGT with unknown aftermarket rims that is always parked in a business parking lot right off 82 kinda near 77. ive posted a spotted of it on this thread before but with no response.

^ Damn, you're baking!!!! :(

-----

i was planning on taking the bumper off for it though, i figured it would be easier with it off? i gotta take it off to swap grilles anyhow, i should have a spare grille on the way soon so i can mod it beforehand. i also am considering baking the headlights when i have the bumper off to remove the amber

The headlamps will be a great idea while the bumper is off. If you're looking to do an aftermarket horn either as an addition or replacement to stock, you might as well do that, then, too.

But as for the lip, I honestly don't know.

Part of the difficulty of the DIY lip is that it lacks "definition" - it literally has no spine, no backbone. With aftermarket made-for-purpose (or even the WRX cross-application) lips, they've at least got some definition, which helps in its placement, when the bumper skin is off the car.

When the bumper skin is off the vehicle, that becomes flimsy, too, just wobbling in the breeze.

With both items now flopping around, taking on whatever shape you're going to have the bumper skin draped on/over, I am not sure that the final product will be ideal.

I honestly don't know.....

on top of that i need to install a whiteline rear sway which will be a piece of cake

Get down there and inspect your rear sway brackets, now and the night before your install. That way, if you notice that they're damaged, you can budget-in more time. Also, if you haven't already, pick up the AVO reinforcement brackets (unless your Whiteline already comes with them, of course!). I can tell you from experience that replacing that bar is a piece of cake (literally, 20 minutes) *if* your factory hardware isn't already damaged. If so, time-budgeted needs to increase *drastically*. My damaged side, if I'd done it all in one go, likely would've taken about 3 hours of muscling, cursing, and cutting (double-reinforcement with AVO and Perrin reinforcements). :mad: The non-damaged side? 15 minutes. :lol:

Pick up some Energy Suspension U-brackets while you're at it. They're cheap but solidly built, and have capped Zerk grease-gun fittings, too. :) Awesome deal, as they come with bushings (which you can stock as replacements, since, IIRC, the Whiteline items come with).

i also have lower control arm bushings that need to be installed too so maybe we can find someone to do both of ours?? are you upgrading or replacing oem? i have a whiteline kit that i am pressing in.

I've got all stock stuff I'm pressing in. After 124k miles, I honestly have no complaints with the performance stock suspension -- when it's not completely worn out. I drove Jason G's Spec B with a fraction of the miles that my car had at the time, and I think we were both surprised at how not-that-different my car felt to his, and his has the uprated Bilstein stuff, and I believe he had bigger sway bars. The main difference I felt was in the up-pipe/down-pipe. BIG difference. I've had cars with super-stiff suspension ('93 RX-7 R1 back in the day), and I'm over it. There's no good reason for it when I'm driving ~50k miles a year on Ohio roads. Plus, I drive like a pu$$y. So what's the point?

If I end up getting a press, you're welcome to bring the car by and do it. I also have a sandblast cabinet, so you can do your calipers at the same time. I've rebuilt two sets of front calipers, and both rears. So I know my way around those pretty well. And, I have a Vacula power bleeder, so bleeding up the brakes takes minutes for all four.

^ Damn, I'm heading over to *your* garage, next time I need to do something! :):lol:

wow this thread goes from nothing to busy in no time! :ohhh:

one bad bg: that sucks, i hope they pay you well. i do not work in broadview, my car has the factory spec.b 18"s but i do run black bbs wheels in the winter. currently i work near beachwood but not for long :) i live in on the border of independence and seven hills though so my car is around that area a decent amount.

TSi+WRX: that is a very good point, i never thought of that. maybe it makes more sense to do the lip on the car. when you did yours did it require a lot of drilling into the bumper? I have the AVO brackets as well, but not the U brackets I'll check those out.

music.to.kill.yourself.by: thanks! yeah if you do get access to a press let me know i would appreciate it. ive been searching for someone to help me out with these heh. i do agree the suspension is more than adequate from the factory. from my research replacing the RSB and LCA bushings is the cheapest way to a tight suspension...a good balance between better-than-factory specs without going overboard. also the whiteline kit will give me more caster adjustment when aligning. i probably spent <$300 on all my suspension parts, they were on sale from FPB

one bad bg: that sucks, i hope they pay you well. i do not work in broadview, my car has the factory spec.b 18"s but i do run black bbs wheels in the winter. currently i work near beachwood but not for long :) i live in on the border of independence and seven hills though so my car is around that area a decent amount.

wow youre closer than i thought. i live about 4 houses away from the corner of broadview and royalwood. and yes they do pay somewhat well, 15/hr which is struggling if you live on your own but i live with my gf's parents on the other side of their house(house had an addition put on for mother in law suite about 15 yrs ago) so my gf and i kinda have our own place, we just dont have to pay rent or utilities:). plus we have a 4 car garage thats 2 cars deep and a workshop attached to the back of it, so i dont plan on moving out anytime soon haha.

Seriously! :lol:

TSi+WRX: that is a very good point, i never thought of that. maybe it makes more sense to do the lip on the car. when you did yours did it require a lot of drilling into the bumper?

I put in a lot of screws as I wanted a "perfect" setup, as much as possible :p, and I had minimal time to achieve it. And since I was a one-person-show, that was the easiest way to do it.

But I do think that it will be possible to do so, with perhaps as few as four, two, or even no hardware at all, on the '08+ models, given that you guys seem to have a slightly more "friendly" shape to that scalloped area in the middle...

I have the AVO brackets as well, but not the U brackets I'll check those out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/perrin-25mm-rear-bar-89-99i-131171p4.html?highlight=energy+suspension

:)