LegacyGT.com

North-East OHIO 2.5GTs ? Sighting, GTGs, etc.

TSiWRX

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so does anyone localy have a t3 garret turbo laying around thats in good condition they wanna sell. i need a new turbo for my xr4ti. apparently the guy that owned it before me was a total moron.

That sounds like screeching and or serious shaft play ya got there? What does he inside of the cam cover look like? Nothing like that BMW pic floating around?

haha no, nothing like the bmw, and theres no shaft play or screeching either, its hard to explain but basically theres bolts broken off that hold the compressor housing on, so he left the broken bolt in and just put another bolt in and threaded it as far as it would go. and even with locktight, i cant get the bolt to stay in for more than a few days. and this is with 3 bolts. so when the bolt falls out, its like having a major exhaust leak. im not looking to spend more than 150. cause for 150 i can get a rebuilt xr turbo. but i would rather have a newer garret, even though the turbos in xr's are garret. lol. i could get the broken bolts out myself but that would require me to have my car down for a few days and i dont have another vehicle to get back an forth to the police academy.

haha no, nothing like the bmw, and theres no shaft play or screeching either, its hard to explain but basically theres bolts broken off that hold the compressor housing on, so he left the broken bolt in and just put another bolt in and threaded it as far as it would go. and even with locktight, i cant get the bolt to stay in for more than a few days. and this is with 3 bolts. so when the bolt falls out, its like having a major exhaust leak. im not looking to spend more than 150. cause for 150 i can get a rebuilt xr turbo. but i would rather have a newer garret, even though the turbos in xr's are garret. lol. i could get the broken bolts out myself but that would require me to have my car down for a few days and i dont have another vehicle to get back an forth to the police academy.

Not even the red locktite? The omfg I hate the factory workers I just broke 3 knuckes and the nut didn't even break free red loctite?

Edited by Merc6

nope that didnt work. i used the red stuff, the blue stuff, and the liquid stuff, all a huge fail. im considering tightening up the bolts as tight as i can get them, and then throw some jb weld on them. but then i will never get the turbo apart to rebuilt it if need be, or upgrade the turbine. so thats why i figured just pick up a good condition used garret. turbo swap will take a few hours, then in my down time i can get my stock turbo fixed the proper way and keep it around as a spare.

ya i know, lol. theres not too many tuner shops though. B3R is the only one i know of around the cleveland area

yeah thats why everyone leaves for real work done on their car. Once I get my money right i'm going back to MD. Either my old tuner or AMS. U try hi temp sealant?

Can you extract or drill-out the old/broken bolt, and either Helicoil it or re-tap one size up?

At the temperatures that the turbo gets up to, I honestly don't know that any type of chemical adhesive is going to help......

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i could but that would require me to take the turbo off and take it apart. i dont have a turbo rebuilt kit yet and with me in school i dont have the time. so thats why i want to get another turbo and just swap it on there, and then in my down time i can take my time rebuilding this one

^ Ah, gotcha! Now I understand!

You're just looking for a stop-gap measure.

That's a tough one - indeed, I'm at a loss. :(

Have you tried cross-posting to LERSOC and Forced4s? Some of those guys have old-school methods....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

That sounds like screeching

what is this a sign of. cause now that you mention it, i hear a slight, not loud, like ehhhhh.........almost like a ghostly yell way off in the distance as well as the usual turbo whistle is the best way to describe it. and it only does it under boost.

• 2 weeks later...
2 Nights ago I spotted a legacy. We talked briefly outside of.....get this, Legacy Village :lol:. Meant to ask what wheels you had but I was running late and had to cover multiple speed traps / wildlife to get out past Chagrin Falls. We usually jump down to 330 tuning for some of their meets as well as Boneyard just off mayfield not to far from where I first spotted you initially. Edited by Merc6

what is this a sign of. cause now that you mention it, i hear a slight, not loud, like ehhhhh.........almost like a ghostly yell way off in the distance as well as the usual turbo whistle is the best way to describe it. and it only does it under boost.

Well damn, I guess that reply did not go thru. I posted(so I thought) that I could swing by one night and we can compare. I have a slight hi pitch 2 10 vac. If I am near a fence or another car, the sound hits it and comes back inside the car. Can't get a video of it.

We talked briefly outside of.....get this, Legacy Village :lol:.

^ There's also the Legacy "mens club," over between Warrensville Heights and Bedford Heights. :p

Well damn, I guess that reply did not go thru. I posted(so I thought) that I could swing by one night and we can compare. I have a slight hi pitch 2 10 vac. If I am near a fence or another car, the sound hits it and comes back inside the car. Can't get a video of it.

i figured it out, it was a slight boost leak at the coupler so the coupler was vibrating on the turbo outlet just enough to make a noise.:redface:

2 Nights ago I spotted a legacy. We talked briefly outside of.....get this, Legacy Village :lol:. Meant to ask what wheels you had but I was running late and had to cover multiple speed traps / wildlife to get out past Chagrin Falls. We usually jump down to 330 tuning for some of their meets as well as Boneyard just off mayfield not to far from where I first spotted you initially.

merc6,

I'm guessing it's me you're talking about. I had the '09 Diamond Grey Metallic 2.5i with gunmetal Enkei EKM3's. I actually live over in the SW suburbs, but often visit that area since my girlfriend lives right around the corner from Legacy Village.

• 3 weeks later...

hey allan, what time do you guys usually leave cause i have police academy till 10pm at the metro campus. so thats right on my way home.

musictokillyourselfby, very nice bike. i saw you gasing up at shell. the wagon with the tint, lowered, rims, and a trailer with a kickass bike on it. i almost wet myself:redface::wub:

hey allan, what time do you guys usually leave cause i have police academy till 10pm at the metro campus. so thats right on my way home.

musictokillyourselfby, very nice bike. i saw you gasing up at shell. the wagon with the tint, lowered, rims, and a trailer with a kickass bike on it. i almost wet myself:redface::wub:

I have to be @ work 11-11:30 on the nights I work but they were there like 1100-1200 since it was lit parking lot unlike Boneyard.

^ cool... right by my house.

prolly going to dragway 42 tonight!

I work plus i'm still throwing codes for the ocv.