LegacyGT.com

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing

Snap-On Tools .... I hear that. The quality is top shelf, no question. I have a few of their specialty wrench's and a killer ratchet screw driver.

"You can pay me now... Or you can pay me later" Like with most things, You get what you pay for. There's a professional tech at the Porsche shop I use - man that dude has the Snap-On lot at his disposal; the red Snap-On cabinets he owns are 3 teirs tall..

If I had a million dollars.........

If you wrench on your car often, I highly recommend you get in touch with a local Snap-On or Matco franchisee. Their tools are a lot more expensive but the quality can not be matched.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The huge 3 tier tall Snap-On cabinets ,,,, are full with Snap-On tools I'd imagine. Its an orderly collection of professional tools. Impressive.

My 30 year collection, largely of Craftsmen tools, has served me well - but I'm no proffesional wrench.

Cheers, Mike

M. Schneider- I do not have enough room in my bay for a huge tool box but I look at it like this, the tools make me money not the box. I have a 2 teir 40" Craftsman ball bearing box and a Craftsman tool cart which I barely use.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

except I used a L :lol:

LMAO, good one

I have mainly craftsman tools too. In a number of different tool boxes at my house and my son's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do not get me wrong, I own and use Craftsman sockets and some wrenches all day long. Craftsman makes the best (imo) impact sockets. I picked up a 50 piece 1/2" set for around $150.....my 5 piece Snap-On axle nut impact socket set ran me over $300.

• 7 months later...

I'm curious about the differences in quality and durability of the SKF over the OEM ones. I've heard owners have issues with the bearings going out pretty quick so I was wondering if they SKF ones have superior life over the OEM ones.

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

I believe that NTN is the OE supplier for Subaru HBA. Timken, SKF, BCA, Beck/Arnley (OE Reboxed), NSK, or FAG are all excellent choices. ANY "house brand" or usually anything with the word "precision" in it is NOT a good choice and usually Chinese manufactured.

Not everything manufactured in China is bad, but in this case, it appears that they seem to not be able to make the ABS rings correctly.

Timken, SKF, BCA, Beck/Arnley (OE Reboxed), NSK, or FAG

So where would be the cheapest place to buy one of these? Given that they are notorious for going back according to Impreza owners, I'd like to keep at least one front and rear handy.

The last rear I kept handy got used as a bent wheel caused premature wear on it.

So where would be the cheapest place to buy one of these? Given that they are notorious for going back according to Impreza owners, I'd like to keep at least one front and rear handy.

The last rear I kept handy got used as a bent wheel caused premature wear on it.

Many auto parts stores carry Timken, BCA, and SKF. I believe Autozone has Timken as one of their options on their lookup screen. Google them for your area and I'm sure you'll find several options for them. Most of the others are difficult to find except for possibly Beck/Arnley.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to resurrect, but many people come to this thread for information on Rear wheel bearing removal so I figured having my question answered here would be best.

Why does the manual say that loosening the axle nut with the wheels still on will damage the bearing? I just can't understand how this is physically/mechanically possible. I always thought that was what you should do, so that you don't have to find another way to stop the wheel from spinning while using your breaker bar.

If you've ever tryed to remove the nut with the car jacked up in your driveway, you'll understand why we do it with the car on the ground.

Don't believe everything you read in the manual.

Your not removing it, just moving it maybe a 1/3 of a turn. Your not going to hurt anything.

Somewhere there was a thread discussing wheel bearings. I finally got off my butt this weekend and replaced the driver's side rear wheel bearing with that 45.$ Chinese made unit. Everything worked just as it should. NO ABS issue's at all. Installed fine with no glitches. (where did that thread go?)

If you've ever tryed to remove the nut with the car jacked up in your driveway, you'll understand why we do it with the car on the ground.

Don't believe everything you read in the manual.

Your not removing it, just moving it maybe a 1/3 of a turn. Your not going to hurt anything.

That's how I've always done it. By partially jacking the car up, then breaking torque, then jack the rest of the way. I was asking where they heck they get the warning from. In fact, I think for one of my cars the manual said to loosen the axle nut while on the ground.

Most likely because some people might back the nut all the way off not realizing what could happen.

• 8 months later...

So when the rear wheel bearing went out how did it go and how did the car feel? I think I just had this happen to me tonight in the 3rd lane doing 80.. I got a loud rubbing sound then the ass of the car started to oscillate side to side then my ABS light came on

Sounds loudest on the rear passenger side.. but damn I just got my car up and running after 5 weeks of not being able to drive it.

14mm. for WB bolts (48ft.lbs) , Rear caliper bracket(39ft.lbs) & caliper bolts(20ft.lbs) .

Haynes Manual

2005 LGT

Front axle nut is 162 ft.lbs

Rear axle nut is 140 ft.lbs

2006 LGT

Rear axle nut is 177 ft.lbs

But, ALLDATA states,

2005 LGT

I just did my rear WB & tq. to 140ft.lbs.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

14mm. for WB bolts (48ft.lbs) , Rear caliper bracket(39ft.lbs) & caliper bolts(20ft.lbs) .

Haynes Manual

2005 LGT

Rear axle nut is 140 ft.lbs

2006 LGT

But, ALLDATA states,

2005 LGT

I just did my rear WB & tq. to 140ft.lbs.

Yeah I heard the 177 and I heard as high as 180, the 140 is new to me but I mean it's not a problem but my tq wrench stops at 150 ft.lbs LOL

ugh I had to do the wheel hub on a ford focus wagon with the stupid ABS magnetic ring that pushes on the rotor.. I had to buy my first torque stick for that I think it's 170 or 180 rated

This is the DIY Walk-Through for the 4th Gen Legacy rear HBAs that I did in July 2012 with OEM Replacements... P/N: 28473AG00B. One of the rears was starting to growl slightly, and since I was doing one, I figured that I'd just do both. PDF version is found in Post #5.

Per the FSM some cautions on deinstall:

CAUTION: REMOVE THE WHEEL BEFORE LOOSENING THE AXLE NUT. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE CAN DAMAGE THE WHEEL BEARINGS, WHICH MAY MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO GET THE HBA OFF THE AXLE SHAFT.

Also, per the FSM, some cautions on reinstall:

CAUTION: DO NOT PUT ANY WEIGHT (WHEEL OR VEHICLE) ON THE HBA UNTIL THE AXLE NUT IS PROPERLY TORQUED OR DAMAGE TO THE BEARINGS WILL OCCUR.

Torque setting for the axle nut, per the FSM, is: 177 ft-lbs.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived