LegacyGT.com

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing

Is a puller going to be really needed? I'm hoping not but it's about to snow heavy tomorrow another 10 inches so.gotta get it done.. If amazon does not ship.this bearing tonight for tomorrow I'm going to have to buy the one from advance.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will make it a ton easier. The end of the axle actually has an indent in it to make it easy to center-up your puller tip. If you have a lot of corrosion, then you may need a slide-hammer type puller. Lots of PBB or Kroil around the HBA on the back side before pulling.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Good luck. On a recent order, Amazon said they shipped, but then the package never arrived. The shipper said the package was damaged and returned to Amazon. Refunded, but disappointed.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah I wanted to do it today however my girl's mom was nice enough to let me use her car but she needed to go someplace so I'm stuck in not being able to do it and we are getting like 10 inches of new snow tomorrow :-/ oh well I worked on my car in 16 F weather so what's a little snow?

I'm guessing the doughnuts in the car finally did the bearing in.. but it was pretty much a iced over parking lot so it was not like the tires where catching dry ground or anything like that.

Jesus... so I'm trying to pull the damn wheel bearing off and I'm using a 6" 3 arm jaw puller and i still can't get the damn bearing off..

the bolts are backed off enough in the back I think heat may of made it super hard because I can see the ball bearings for the wheel bearing the seal plate is just dangling.

How can I get this thing to come off? it's very frustrating!

So wait, you still have the wheel bearing stuck in the ebrake assembly, and the whole thing is still stuck on the rear control arm?

This may help btw

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwHLNsHomkE]Subaru Legacy Rear Hub Bearing - YouTube[/ame]

So wait, you still have the wheel bearing stuck in the ebrake assembly, and the whole thing is still stuck on the rear control arm?

The wheel bearing is still stuck on the ebrake assembly dispite all 4 bolts being back out enough where the whole assembly can be pulled off the CV axle splines.

I can't get it to move at all..

I'm been trying to hit it with a hammer but my larger hammers are 10 miles away and I don't have use of a car to go get them so I just have a regular nail hammer.

OK. On the last two I worked on, I did use my two-arm puller with the center placed on the tip of the cv axle. It was stuck pretty good. But I remember I used the arm puller and my hammer (i.e. while the puller was 'pulling', I was banging hard on the wheel bearing and it eventually came off). But I used a ton of pb blaster too..

Yeah I tried the hammer while the puller was on... btw my 6" the puller is screwed all the way in as far as it will go.. I had to come inside to warm up it's snowing with blowing wind and my feet are frozen I will try again when I warm up in a few.. I don't understand why is the bearing tapered so it will be just that harder to get out when it needs to be replaced?

oh I found my 5lb sludge hammer!

Archived