LegacyGT.com

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing

Try hitting the end of the breaker bar with a 5lb hammer will trying to break the torque on the nut. Make your own impact gun.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My breaker bar also slightly bent once while trying to get that bolt off. But I just switched it 'the other way' to bend it back straight, if that makes sense... Fairly soft metal I guess.

In any case, I gave it more and more torque and the bolt finally came off.

Thanks, guys.

I should be turning the axle nut left (counter-clockwise), correct? :lol:

If I put enough torque on the breaker bar (lead pipe as an extension), it actually bends/flexes at the pivoting joint on the breaker bar...I feel like that will break loose before the axle nut does. :mad:

Unless I hear any other ideas, I guess I'll have to try to rent or buy a cordless impact...

Yeah...so, after all but giving up on the axle nut, my wife came out to the garage with me and immediately asks me why I don't have something under the joint of the breaker bar to support it and reduce flex. I put my floor jack underneath it for support...and voila all the torque went to the axle nut, which came right loose! :eek::lol:

My next challenge will be getting the corroded brake rotor unseized from the hub...will be picking up the M8 bolts tomorrow from Home Depot to try that method. Then the hub puller...

Make sure you spray the threads in the rotor with PB Blaster and coat the bolts with anti-seize compound.

You don't want them seizing in the rotor. Spray the rotor to hub joint with a little PB too.

Use anti-seize on all the threads of every nut and bolt you put on the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah...so, after all but giving up on the axle nut, my wife came out to the garage with me and immediately asks me why I don't have something under the joint of the breaker bar to support it and reduce flex.

That's a damn good wife.

Archived