LegacyGT.com

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing

Yeah it sucked big time I had 4 layers on and I still got wet.. I was determined to get it done.. now that I see how it goes it's not so bad.. I started around 3 pm and was done around 10:30 pm snow kept ending up in my shoes getting my socks wet

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the bolt that is holding the abs sensor in place. Actually, you're supposed to pull the abs sensor out when you change wheel bearing according to the fsm. You can also see that in the video that I posted above. They claim that if you don't, you may risk damaging it with the axle hitting it I think while you swap the bearings.

Man, doing that in a storm when its 18F outside. Your amazing, new respect.

I'm glad I did it before things started to melt a bit gotta get myself some toe warmers. Btw two of my lug nuts fell off somewhere :eek: had a loose wheel crazy as I used my impact wrench. I don't always go hard with the bolts with the gun due to no control so I normally use my torque wrench for the final.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a electronic wrench, because having 4 different torque wrenches is no fun

Oh the abs bolt.. oh yeah it was a little tight coming out.. I put anti seize on it as well as the hub and hub bolts

Yeah I also put anti seize on every single bolts too. When I changed my bearing, I also changed every single bushing in the rear suspensions with whiteline stuff. Took a while to do.

fwiw, took the car for a spin. Nice and quiet. So far, no cruise control issue with the moog bearing installed on the right rear wheel.

I guess that humming sound was the bearing all that time.. I thought it was the run flat tires.. When I pulled the abs code I got a code for the front left as well, I will have to buy a replacement sensor for the right rear..

I don't use cruise control much anyways

• 5 months later...

I've got a question of my own--hoping someone here can help me.

I'm doing my driver's side rear HBA this weekend, and am having problems getting the axle nut off! The wheel is off and the parking brake is on and holding the rotor/hub pretty steady...but the axle nut is not budging with a breaker bar/extension (I feel like parts and/or tools are bending if I push hard enough). Unfortunately, I don't have access to an impact.

The crimp was notched in pretty solidly to begin with; I couldn't pry it out, but I had to beat the crap out of the crimp, hoping to destroy the part holding on to the axle nut. Maybe that's part of my problem, but some have suggested that it should be possible to remove the axle nut without even messing with the crimp (i.e., the crimp is not meant to hold up to much torque), but it's not budging for me.

Any ideas on what to try next? Is there anything else that could be holding it on (besides rust)?

Yep, this thing has been soaked in PBB too.

I've got a question of my own--hoping someone here can help me.

I'm doing my driver's side rear HBA this weekend, and am having problems getting the axle nut off! The wheel is off and the parking brake is on and holding the rotor/hub pretty steady...but the axle nut is not budging with a breaker bar/extension (I feel like parts and/or tools are bending if I push hard enough). Unfortunately, I don't have access to an impact.

The crimp was notched in pretty solidly to begin with; I couldn't pry it out, but I had to beat the crap out of the crimp, hoping to destroy the part holding on to the axle nut. Maybe that's part of my problem, but some have suggested that it should be possible to remove the axle nut without even messing with the crimp (i.e., the crimp is not meant to hold up to much torque), but it's not budging for me.

Any ideas on what to try next? Is there anything else that could be holding it on (besides rust)?

Yep, this thing has been soaked in PBB too.

My breaker bar also slightly bent once while trying to get that bolt off. But I just switched it 'the other way' to bend it back straight, if that makes sense... Fairly soft metal I guess.

In any case, I gave it more and more torque and the bolt finally came off.

Archived