LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy Audio FAQ Compiled from board

gfxdave99

msmith - does JL make any type of interface that can connect HD radio to the Subaru factory head unit? From what I hear only aftermarket head units are capable of HD radio.

The only way to connect directly to the Subaru head unit would be through something like the Jazzy mod or via an FM modulator (yuk) or FM transmitter (double-yuk).

For the cleanest results, you can use the CleanSweep CL441dsp's aux input to pipe in the audio from a stand-alone HD-Radio tuner. You will need aftermarket amps and speakers, though.

Here are a couple of current choices:

JVC:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=186650&i=105KTHDP1&tp=134&avf=Y

Directed:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=186650&i=60744000&tp=134&avf=Y

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just finished reading this again. But, I haven't found the answer.

The wires running up to the stock tweeter locations. Is it sending full frequencies there? or is there some sort of crossover (passive/active)? And if so? does anyone know what the freq range going to the tweeters is?(are?)

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

The wires running up to the stock tweeter locations. Is it sending full frequencies there? or is there some sort of crossover (passive/active)? And if so? does anyone know what the freq range going to the tweeters is?(are?)

It's full frequency up to the tweeters — the wires split off (connected in parallel) from the wires going to the respective door speakers.

On the back of each tweeter is a capacitor that serves as a high-pass filter. The door speakers also get full range (and do not have any low-pass filter).

Sorry, I don't know the cut-off frequency (or even the value of the caps).

Thanks for your answers. And thanks for your harness. It worked perfectly.

Any idea what the best place to tap into near the console for 12v switched and unswitched? I've a HD Radio I'd like to install this week and don't have access to my multimeter.

Any idea what the best place to tap into near the console for 12v switched and unswitched? I've a HD Radio I'd like to install this week and don't have access to my multimeter.

Unless the HD radio has a really high current draw (unlikely), I'd use the +12V accessory and constant wires going to the factory radio — tie into the Red and Yellow wires between the forward and reverse harnesses you got from me.

Sounds great. Is red constant and yellow switched? I'll just Vampire off those instead of making a three way connection where your harnesses connect.

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=107-209-006

just ordered this so we will see how it turns out i will let you guys know

there is a trained auto-audio tech named HighLine, they are trying to make this piece work. as far as i know what you bought will b absolutly useless to you becuase it will not connect becuase of a different wiring internally.

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=107-209-006

just ordered this so we will see how it turns out i will let you guys know

Hope you got the skillz to pay the bills, because you'll need them to make that piece work. My suggestion, cancel the order while you still can and get your yen back.

ignore him, he'll go away.

What sort of Antenna connection is on the OEM 6 disc HU?I'm guessing it's the grey plug on the lower left in back. correct? I'm looking to install an HD Radio tuner and it has the "Old fashioned" Plug-in type. Do they sell a converter for ours to plug in?

What sort of Antenna connection is on the OEM 6 disc HU?I'm guessing it's the grey plug on the lower left in back. correct? I'm looking to install an HD Radio tuner and it has the "Old fashioned" Plug-in type. Do they sell a converter for ours to plug in?

You need to get the metra antenna adapters

Answered in this part of the faq

Q: Can I hook up my XM/Sirius/Ipod/misc audio input device directly to the stereo?

A: Yes and No. There is no factory support for this to begin with, however there are options. The first option is to use FM Modulation. There are two routes, the cigarette lighter option which has okay results or the better option is the direct connection method. The direct adapter is available now from metra http://www.metraonline.com/home.aspx. Here is a direct link to an online retailer where you can purchase it. http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/40%2DSB30/detail.asp

The third option is using a JL cleansweep, check the next question about adding amps for more info on that.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 2 months later...

So, evidently this only works with the "manual climate controls" ?

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 2006 2.5i Limited.

(I am only going back to 2006, because I want Limited stuff like

moonroof, but I also want manual tranny, and I don't want turbo;

so that's what I gotta do - sigh ...) But being a Limited, it seems

to have climate controls for driver and passenger, where you just set

the temp you want; I assume this is what is meant by "automatic

climate controls".

So, if I get this car, I'm just flat out of luck as far as replacing

the HU with an aftermarket one (notwithstanding the "cubby"

route) ?

you can go the HIGHLINE route and have them take ur Automatic Climate Control Bezel and fabricating in a double din into where the stock radio is supposed to be.

Thanks. I'm trying to decipher that thread now. Looks expensive,

but otherwise a great solution ...

What's the chance of swapping my 2005 HU with a 2006-2009 legacy HU with aux out, sat ready, and mp3? how about adding a subie NAV as well just like the ones you see in the 2008 spec b? how much would an integrated HU with auto climate be? thanx

• 1 month later...

Just to keep alive this thread again, just want to ask you guys how you managed to run the power cables from the battery going inside the cabin? As I was looking for a way to have it run inside but can not find once, would appreciate your help. Plus how do you remove the back seat?

Very sorry for the noobie question, as I am one. Thanks.

Just to keep alive this thread again, just want to ask you guys how you managed to run the power cables from the battery going inside the cabin? As I was looking for a way to have it run inside but can not find once, would appreciate your help.

Haven't done it on my '06 yet (still trying to figure out if I'll ever be

able to put an after-mkt HU in it, much less an amp) but in my '97 it

was pretty easy. Connected the heavy-gauge cable to the battery

positive with an in-line fuse holder. Ran the cable along the driver's

side near the engine, found a rubber grommet somehwere in the

neighborhood of where the clutch master cylinder is, pulled the

grommet out and drilled a hole in it, reinserted the grommet, passed

the cable through it, and it comes out somewhere around the place

where the brake and clutch pedals pivot. It was a lot easier to locate

a likely-looking grommet on the engine compartment side, because

they're hidden by insulation/soundproofing layer on the cabin side -

and of course you have to get the cable through that layer too (not

hard). Hope this help.

You mentioned "cables" but I think people usually ground to the chassis

near the amp (or whatever), otherwise ground loops (bad). So it

should just be one "cable".

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So im confused, the sb30 connector will allow me to plug my creative player directly into the radio?

Not directly.

The SB30 is a kit of two antenna adapter cables. They allow you to connect an FM modulator between the car's antenna and the factory radio. These are needed because the '05 has a proprietary antenna connector.

You'll connect your MP3 player (or any aux device) into the FM modulator. The modulator will play the audio on an unused FM frequency. Better ones cut out the car's antenna signal while your MP3 player is playing, to minimize interference from "real" FM stations.

If you're stuck with a lame factory radio, this is pretty much the best option.

• 1 month later...
For those who want to keep the stock HU can you post if you know what is the stock HU rms watts and if it's 2 or 4 ohms. I have already added a 10 sub in the floor of my wagon and I just want to upgrade my doors. Thanks
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 2 weeks later...
FYI: they make stereo kits for the manual ones now. Stereo Kit

Yes but, I have a LGT LTD. We have very few options. I don't want to put my radio in my cubby.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com