LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy Audio FAQ Compiled from board

gfxdave99

Regarding that Crutchfield dash kit for the non-GT models, I decided to email Crutchfield yesterday to see if they could try to come out with a GT/spec.B/3.0R kit:

Crutchfield:

Good morning. I am a regular customer of yours, and have a product suggestion.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120998901/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?tp=3121

This is a dash kit for the current Subaru Legacy (2005-2009), however only fits the non-turbo (GT) models with manual heat/AC controls. The GT and 3.0R models have climate control and some different layout.

If possible, it would be great to have a kit for the GT models. I don't know how plausible this is, but I thought I would suggest it. The control layout may differ from model year 2005 to 2009, I'm not sure specifically. I do know that models after 2005 or 2006 added AUX-in ports, and some models are wired for steering wheel control. One reference site may be of help:

http://www.cars101.com/legacy.html

Individual model years are listed, with full specs including some photos and all interior equipment detail.

If this is a possible product for you, I would be happy to collaborate assistance from Legacy GT owners.

Thank you!

And got this reply. :)

Hello CJ,

Thanks for your e-mail and letting us know about the integration packages you found. I have passed on your e-mail to our merchandising team. We do thank you for taking the time to let us know about these.

Happy Holidays!

Paul

Advisor

Advisors@crutchfiled.com

http://www.crutchfield.com

1-800-388-2911, ext 4071

Who knows, miracles never cease.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those who want to keep the stock HU can you post if you know what is the stock HU rms watts and if it's 2 or 4 ohms. I have already added a 10 sub in the floor of my wagon and I just want to upgrade my doors. Thanks

I would like to know this as well. I have done quite a bit of searching and cannot find a definite answer.

Best I've come up with is 50watt @4 ohms. Is this correct?

I would like to know this as well. I have done quite a bit of searching and cannot find a definite answer.

Best I've come up with is 50watt @4 ohms. Is this correct?

The stock head unit is 4 x 12W RMS @ 0.1% THD (with a tailwind, downhill). Any claims of greater power are full of ummm... optimism.

• 2 weeks later...
So can I just install a new HU and use the antenna from my stock HU without disabling the function of the Stock AC system (power). I am guessing yes, I plan to run all new power/speaker wires to the HU in a cubby. Anyone know??:confused:

So can I just install a new HU and use the antenna from my stock HU without disabling the function of the Stock AC system (power). I am guessing yes, I plan to run all new power/speaker wires to the HU in a cubby. Anyone know??:confused:

Yes, if you leave the stock HU plugged in, the HVAC should still work;

I find it implausible that disconnecting the antenna will disable the HVAC

functions. You'll probably need some sort of adapter for the antenna

to plug into the new HU.

Of course, you'll probably also want to use the 14-pin main audio

cable to interface to the cubby-mounted HU. I'm not sure what affect

unplugging IT from the stock HU will have, since it also includes 12v and

some "illumination" wires; see

http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Legacy-pinout.htm

Hopefully someone who's actually done this will chime in, but I thought

I'd try to help. You could also do some searching, people do cubby-area

installations of after-market HU a LOT here.

Never mind, it looks like your question's be mostly answered in one of the

other forums you posted the same thing to "Another cubby DIN install" ...

Edited by RustyShackleford

• 5 weeks later...
All of this is so freaking confusing. What's better for an 05' limited GT? The jazzy or the cleansweep :(:(:(

Matt, its very simple. If you are happy with the sound that the stock unit provides and you just want an Aux in then get a jazzy. If you want to spend the money on new speakers and a new discreet amplifier then get a cleansweep or equivalent

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Thanks dave, i talked to my pops and the parts guys at the subie dealership and they are going to try to get me an 07' HU on the cheap ~$200 - that seems like the cleanest way to do it to me. The cleansweep option is nice, but a bit too pricy for my liking.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have owned a top of the line Belkin cig plug in with auto station finder and was a piece of crap. Is the direct connect FM modulator that plugs into the antenna any good does it work better or is totally clear and free of static like as though it was plugged right into the stereo?

Anybody have feed back on this adaptor?

• 3 weeks later...

Totaled my 05 Legacy GT so I had to pull the system from it which was installed less then a month ago so its all basically brandnew. Up for sale

Boston Acoustic SL 60 Component for front and SL 65 three way for the rear(retail around $800) selling for $300. 3 year warranty

CleanSweep I can let for for $180 still have the box and will send original receipt with it.

Sony amp 4x60w which was the best i could find to meet the low rms of the Boston Acoustics. One year walmart replacement warranty $100 ($50 if you get the whole package)

Hello.

I've been reading this thread for a while but still don't find something, that can help me in my problem.

I have JDM Legacy B4 GT 2005 with Kenwood GX-203JEB 6-CD changer audio. I need to convert japan frequency range (76,0-90,0) to european (88,0-108,0). Does anybody know how to do it correctly or may be have 203JEB service manual?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How many watts per channel is the stock 05 HU? Does anyone know?

The stock head unit is 4 x 12W RMS @ 0.1% THD (with a tailwind, downhill). Any claims of greater power are full of ummm... optimism.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the speakers mentioned in the OP are obsolete, as the 05 is now 6 years old... most manufacturers do not even make those models anymore.

Is there a newer list of models somewhere for door speakers/deck?

I went to best buy just to even look around and they were trying to tell me I had 4" speakers in my back door instead of the back deck... which I doubt.

• 2 months later...

just finished rewiring my harness for a hi-output converter. Every single wire in my harness was a different color than the links on the OP.

2008 Legacy GT with premium sound, non HK, no nav.

Found that the sequence for speakers was:

Yellow w/black stripe = Right Front +

Yellow solid = Right Front -

Grey w/back stripe = Left Front +

Grey solid = Left Front -

Dark Green w/black stripe = Right Rear +

Dark Green solid = Right Rear -

Aqua Green w/black = Left Rear +

Aqua Green solid = Left Rear -

Brown w/yellow stripe = Power Antenna/Power Amp out (normally blue)

Grey w/red stripe = +12 Accessory (normally solid red)

Black solid = Ground (normally solid black anyway)

Blue solid = Illumination + (normally orange)

Purple w/black stripe + grey dots = Illumination - (normally orange w/white stripe)

Yellow solid = 12 Memory (normally yellow solid)

FWIW, I went nuts for 2 days trying to figure out what wires went where while using that old 95+ pin out that people were using in 2005 (link from OP). It appears that the scheme has changed.

I once again removed each door speaker to get the wiring colors and the rest with an ohm meter by disconnecting each one and reconnecting it.

What a PITA. Took me 15 minutes to make the harness once I actually had the correct wiring (see above).

atleast I had stinger quickwire so there was minimal speghetti.

I was able to fit a 4-channel hi-low converter in behind the radio, and still have room for more.

Ran the cable snake down the center of the console and to each amp under the seats. I'll post pictures of the harness / pinout for the 08 LGT w/Preminum and no nav.

• 6 months later...

The wire colors that Soda Popinski describes are not the factory radio harness. They do not correspond to the factory colors on any Subaru model that I've seen. They also do not match the colors on any OEM subwoofer T-harness that I've seen.

Several other North American 2008 owners have confirmed the colors listed in my pin-out table. I originally compiled that information from Subaru's wiring diagrams. Search for "vacation pix" on the LGT forums to see for yourself.

His car must have been modified by a previous owner. Likely, an aftermarket harness was inserted between the factory radio harness and the radio (perhaps for a car phone kit) -- you should be able to follow that back into the dash to locate the factory radio plug. Or the factory harness was cut and replaced/repaired with an aftermarket piece (in that case, you should be able to follow the wires back and find splices).

Now as I mention on my pin-out guide, in many models/years, the wire colors do change between the factory radio harness and the speakers.

Regardless of the factory colors, the 14-pin harness should always have the same pin function assignments (for example, pin #2 is always Right Front Speaker +).

so the 08 unit is not plug and play ?

Plug and play with what?

The 14-pin power/speaker harness in 2008s has the same pin-out as in 1995-2007 models.

If you're looking at swapping in another OEM radio, you can use any 2005-2008 radio that has exactly the same kind of A/C controls as your original radio (manual or automatic, single- or dual-zone).

Edited by SVXdc

• 2 weeks later...