LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy Audio FAQ Compiled from board

gfxdave99

i think i know what your talking about now after reading it a couple of times. so disregaurd this.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone knows about the product made from Kenwood and called KCA IP 500 ??? It is an interface for the IPOD. Has anyone buyed it and tested it ??

Yes, it connects to the back of a kenwood deck using the CD changer interface. It charges the iPod as well as provides a line level audio connection and some basic control.

You can not use the controls on the iPod while it is connected to the HU with this cable. You can use basic functions on the HU like play, pause, stop, next track and previous track. The ID3 information shows up on the HU screen as well. You can't chnager between artists, albums, but you can use the disc up/down buttons to switch between available playlists.

Its not perfect, but IMO, much better than FM modulation, tape adapter, or a basic line level connection with no control at all.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• 1 month later...
This was very helpful. Thanks! I was trying to figure out why the FM reception was so poor on the aftermarket deck I just installed, but one of your links answered my question. I have to hook up the power antenna lead to send power to the antenna amp. I never even thought of that, since there's no power antenna in sight on the Legacy! I guess I'll have my dashboard in pieces again tomorrow...

Also, to power up the antenna amp the stock radio must be on AND turned to FM.....

True, although the reason I ran into this problem is because I replaced the stock deck with an aftermarket one. My aftermarket deck has a remote antenna lead, so I should be good to go once I've attached it to the harness. :)

I am going to by my first Sub OB xt ltd. To nav or not.

I realy would like to pull the stock stero and add a Pioneer navic 3 system but I have not found a way to replace the factory dash panel around the AC.

JB

Here's a picture of mine with the replacement dash panel from installer.com. It's not bad... definitely not as nice as the original factory panel though. It has more of a matte finish, and the factory panel was glossy. It doesn't fit 100% perfectly either, but it's close enough.

EPSN0009.jpg.e4cefb2611559b99d6cbefe114063c64.jpg

There is a japan domestic market part that will replace the auto climate controls (H6217AG902SC), and has an opening for a 2 din aftermarket radio.

Youn can see a picture here:

http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/legacy/catalog/book/audio/index.html#top

...and here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12513&page=3&pp=10

I have a 2.0R and I'll install one of those as soon as my dealer gets one for me.

There is a japan domestic market part that will replace the auto climate controls (H6217AG902SC), and has an opening for a 2 din aftermarket radio.

Youn can see a picture here:

http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/legacy/catalog/book/audio/index.html#top

...and here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12513&page=3&pp=10

I have a 2.0R and I'll install one of those as soon as my dealer gets one for me.

Those are great ... if you have a right hand drive vehicle. But if you have a Left hand drive vehicle, not so snazzy.

• 3 weeks later...

Err ... perhaps this might offer a solution?

See page 11

http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/legacy/catalog/book/audio/index.html

part numbers H6217AG902SC and ...908SC

September 2003 (when my MY04 was delivered) there were alternative pics which *seemed* to indicate that the climate control could be separated from the head unit as the side/back view showed a chunky rear on the climate display with a large integrated harness socket.

Of course at that time my Australian Subaru dealer didn't even have a stacker (or car alarm, or towbar, or mudflaps, or headlamp protectors etc) so there was nil info on this option.

Anyone bought and tried one of these parts?

If you have, can you please quote the model number of your head unit - as listed by Subaru, e.g. GX-201HK

(updated 8-10-05)

<snip>

Q: Can I replace my stock stereo?

A: Yes and no. If you have automatic climate control you cannot directly replace the stereo because the stereo and climate controls are integrated into one board. If you have a 2.5i with manual controls the units are separate, however there is no faceplate available to convert it for a double din unit. If you have a 2.5i and wanted to go this route it would require an experienced custom fabricator. The only other option is some people are converting their cubby hole to house a half din stereo. More info on the cubby install http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12019&highlight=cubby+stereo

Err ... perhaps this might offer a solution?

See page 11

http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/legacy/catalog/book/audio/index.html

part numbers H6217AG902SC and ...908SC

September 2003 (when my MY04 was delivered) there were alternative pics which *seemed* to indicate that the climate control could be separated from the head unit as the side/back view showed a chunky rear on the climate display with a large integrated harness socket.

Of course at that time my Australian Subaru dealer didn't even have a stacker (or car alarm, or towbar, or mudflaps, or headlamp protectors etc) so there was nil info on this option.

Anyone bought and tried one of these parts?

If you have, can you please quote the model number of your head unit - as listed by Subaru, e.g. GX-201HK

(updated 8-10-05)

<snip>

Q: Can I replace my stock stereo?

A: Yes and no. If you have automatic climate control you cannot directly replace the stereo because the stereo and climate controls are integrated into one board. If you have a 2.5i with manual controls the units are separate, however there is no faceplate available to convert it for a double din unit. If you have a 2.5i and wanted to go this route it would require an experienced custom fabricator. The only other option is some people are converting their cubby hole to house a half din stereo. More info on the cubby install http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12019&highlight=cubby+stereo

Only works for units that have single zone climate control. I tried :)

If you live in AU you can replace your head unit using the kit however.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I own a left-hand drive 2006 2.0R (which has single zone climate control). I showed that page to my dealer, and they offered to import the part and see if it works. We'll see when it arrives.

I own a left-hand drive 2006 2.0R (which has single zone climate control). I showed that page to my dealer, and they offered to import the part and see if it works. We'll see when it arrives.

Other RHD/ single zone members have done it and it works fine.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 2 months later...

I am fed up with electronics store salesmen not knowing what they're talking about when it come to the 05 Legacy's setup. They act confident but only seem to want to experiment with my car since it's different.

So, here's what I think I'll need to install aftermarket stereo:

Dash kit

Installer.com Display single item page

Wiring harness

Installer.com Display single item page

Antenna adapter

Here's where I'm a bit confused. Will I need just the one, like this:

http://216.15.139.190/pictures/HDK-SB10.jpg

or will I need that one and this one:

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/met/EC.MET.40SB20.JPG

:icon_conf

I want to be able to plug my mp3 player into an aux input so any tips on getting that done would be appreciated. I tried jazzy's aux-in mod but seem to have messed up the factory cd player somehow, and I'd like to be able to listen to cds again.

Im just wondering if I need to buy the fascia+hvac controls for my aussie 06 legacy (rhd auto climate control), or whether I can just buy the new fascia. Stock stereo sux badly, sounds worse than my ford focus, and since I dont like the idea of tearing the door speakers out and putting bigger ones in, a sub is the only option and I refuse to use speaker level inputs.

I am fed up with electronics store salesmen not knowing what they're talking about whe... to be able to listen to cds again.

Since you have a 2.5i you can use the kit you show.

You will need the 1st adapter.. the one with the 'male' plug. The 2nd adapter is if you wanted to put in an aftermarket FM Modulator on the stock stereo the 1st adapter converts it to a standard radio plug, the fm modulator has a standard radio plug coming out which you must then convert back to subaru's funky ass connector.

With that face kit you can install a standard single din or modify the kit and you could probably fit a double din in there but there are so many nice single dins i wouldnt bother.

If you have an IPOD you can look for a unit that is ipod compatible. If you dont care about controlling your mp3 player through the unit, most mid range and higher head units will have a straight AUX IN which is a pair of RCA jacks (the kind that are like on the back of a VCR) which you can get a cable that converts that to a mini plug (like a headphone jack)

However if you have an ipod you can get ones that control the ipod and display the song information on the head unit.

I hope this helps...

Im just wondering if I need to buy the fascia+hvac controls for my aussie 06 legacy (rhd auto climate control), or whether I can just buy the new fascia. Stock stereo sux badly, sounds worse than my ford focus, and since I dont like the idea of tearing the door speakers out and putting bigger ones in, a sub is the only option and I refuse to use speaker level inputs.

On single zone climate control models the HVAC controls and the stereo are seperate pieces, you can get a kit from AVO or possibly through your local subaru dealer that will replace your climate control and allow you to install a double din stereo

If you're interested i bought one to see if i could get it to work in my USDM legacy with no dice.. I believe it should still work fine I will sell it half price and you will get your money back if it doesnt work :)

... So, here's what I think I'll need to install aftermarket stereo:

Dash kit

Looks right, but another Legacy owner should confirm.
Wiring harness
Right harness. Look around a little more -- you can do better on the price (they always kill you on the shipping). Though maybe it won't be so bad if you're buying multiple items from these folks. If you don't run across another, take a look at the bottom of my homepage link (click on my username).
Antenna adapter. Here's where I'm a bit confused. Will I need just the one, like this:
You only need the first one -- the one whose Motorola plug goes into your new HU. The second one would be used (in addition to the first) if you're keeping the stock radio and want to install an FM modulator that goes in-line between the radio and the car's antenna.
I want to be able to plug my mp3 player into an aux input so any tips on getting that done would be appreciated. I tried jazzy's aux-in mod but seem to have messed up the factory cd player somehow, and I'd like to be able to listen to cds again.
Hmmm... Jazzy's mod was your best bet with the stock radio. At least with an after-market deck you're more likely to find one with a front input jack if you want that.

Looks right, but another Legacy owner should confirm.Right harness. Look around a little more -- you can do better on the price (they always kill you on the shipping). Though maybe it won't be so bad if you're buying multiple items from these folks. If you don't run across another, take a look at the bottom of my homepage link (click on my username).You only need the first one -- the one whose Motorola plug goes into your new HU. The second one would be used (in addition to the first) if you're keeping the stock radio and want to install an FM modulator that goes in-line between the radio and the car's antenna.Hmmm... Jazzy's mod was your best bet with the stock radio. At least with an after-market deck you're more likely to find one with a front input jack if you want that.

This is my first post but I've been browsing around for quite some time. I hope I'm posting in the right thread as I didn't find a thread specific to this. I have the 2005 2.5i with the standard radio (without the automatic climate controls), And I'm considering doing the aftermarket stereo mod. My questions are:

1) I have the Sub Woofer and I've installed that myself, I can't remember where this plugged in (I think this plugged into the head unit and the in car harness pluged into this). Will I be able to use the Sub Woofer on an aftermarket head unit?

2) From what I see from the responses. If I want to do the aftermarket install, I will need the following (please verify):

a) Wiring Harness (Installer.com Display single item page)

b) Antenna Adaptor (I'm not sure which one I should get for this)

c) The faceplate (Installer.com Display single item page)

d) The head unit itself.

3) I'd like to do this myself, if it's as simple as connecting the wires as it seems, will I be able to do this myself? Or does installing it require additional fabrication or parts?

Thanks for all the help!

Well, I'd say I did pretty good over at Crutchfield.com.

Got:

Pioneer DEH-P6800MP CD/MP3/WMA Player

Subaru Legacy & Outback Kit 2005-up (Metra's 99-8901 dash kit) free

Subaru Wire Harness receiver free

Subaru Antenna Adapter Motorola Male to OEM Female free

free shipping

All for 219.99!

1) I have the Sub Woofer and I've installed that myself, I can't remember where this plugged in (I think this plugged into the head unit and the in car harness pluged into this). Will I be able to use the Sub Woofer on an aftermarket head unit?
Yes, that is how the sub is connected -- between the car's harness and the stock HU. Yes, you can use the sub with an aftermarket HU.

Your other questions were answered in the posts above (including mine that you quoted!). Refer back to coz's post that I was replying to for the pictures. He has the same model and year as you.

See this post for some more useful information: Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, subwoofer, aux inputs, and more

3) I'd like to do this myself, if it's as simple as connecting the wires as it seems, will I be able to do this myself? Or does installing it require additional fabrication or parts?
Yes it's that simple. No extra fabrication needed.