05 Legacy Audio FAQ Compiled from board

gfxdave99

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will do that. I'm not sure about the factory sub as I don't have that in my car. I'm not home, but apparently the package has arrived this morning. If you do end up going with crutchfield, and you are a first time customer with them, let me know...as they have offered $20 credits for myself and any new customers that I refer to them.

Also, if this all goes well, I will have an in working order jazzy board for sale for anyone who's interested.

If you're having those kinds of problems, we would be happy to replace it under warranty. The failures you describe are not common.

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Every once in a while, my system won't turn on. turns out that wiggling the CleanSweep plug does the trick.

• 3 weeks later...
I will do that. I'm not sure about the factory sub as I don't have that in my car. I'm not home, but apparently the package has arrived this morning. If you do end up going with crutchfield, and you are a first time customer with them, let me know...as they have offered $20 credits for myself and any new customers that I refer to them.

Also, if this all goes well, I will have an in working order jazzy board for sale for anyone who's interested.

Hey Coz!

How did that Crutchfield install turn out with the replacement dash panel that they give free with the purchase of a receiver? Have any pics? Are you satisfied?

I'm very seriously thinking of going with a Crutchfield deal so if you could tell me what I must do to get you a $20 credit, I'd be glad to do it. I'll be a first time customer.

Here's a picture of mine with the replacement dash panel from installer.com. It's not bad... definitely not as nice as the original factory panel though. It has more of a matte finish, and the factory panel was glossy. It doesn't fit 100% perfectly either, but it's close enough.

Do you think giving it some clearcoat beforehand would help?

• 9 months later...
Where/how do you plug the FM Modulation in the car?

There are two types of FM modulators. One has a low power transmitter and antenna built-in and "broadcasts" its modulated signal requiring only power and source signal connections to be made. These are foten found inside of newer satellite radio receivers and MP3 car kits.

The second, less expensive, kind plugs inline with the FM antenna to your head unit. They come with a few adapters for the common antenna connections out there. The Subaru HU does not use a standard antenna connector which requires standard plugs to be spliced into place. Kind of a pain. Then the modulator is connecter to 12V and your audio source.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• 1 month later...
only if you have manual climate controls, i.e. a 2.5i

sorry I'm a noob, but do some GTs have manual climate controls? I thought all GTs had auto dual climate control.

What about this installation???

http://www.stimpco.com/d40x/legacy-10-web.jpg

I'll respond to your PM publicly so in case anybody else wants to know....

Im running the kenwood HU as the sole source to aftermarket amps and speakers. The HU install isnt that hard you have to vampire tap off the stock stereos power leads etc and then you can install using the avo kit. I got it from avoturboworld.com

I dont currently have sat radio but when I do I'll add it directly to the kenwood unit. The stock stereo has no function other then to provide power to the integrated a/c controls.

Below is what the faceplate of the stereo looks like and why you cant replace the stock stereo without MAJOR MAJOR custom work. It has been done but its hours and hours and HOURS of delicate soldering that needs to be done by a pro.

http://www.stimpco.com/coppermine/albums/cars/lgtstereo/normal_Stereo-11.jpg

sorry I'm a noob, but do some GTs have manual climate controls? I thought all GTs had auto dual climate control.

What about this installation???

http://www.stimpco.com/d40x/legacy-10-web.jpg

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I'll respond to your PM publicly so in case anybody else wants to know....

Im running the kenwood HU as the sole source to aftermarket amps and speakers. The HU install isnt that hard you have to vampire tap off the stock stereos power leads etc and then you can install using the avo kit. I got it from avoturboworld.com

I dont currently have sat radio but when I do I'll add it directly to the kenwood unit. The stock stereo has no function other then to provide power to the integrated a/c controls.

Below is what the faceplate of the stereo looks like and why you cant replace the stock stereo without MAJOR MAJOR custom work. It has been done but its hours and hours and HOURS of delicate soldering that needs to be done by a pro.

http://www.stimpco.com/coppermine/albums/cars/lgtstereo/normal_Stereo-11.jpg

Vampire tap? God I wish you could post a DIY thread on how to do this. And the AVO kit, can you give a direct link to it on that site?

The back of the factory radio looks like death.

Vampire tap? God I wish you could post a DIY thread on how to do this. And the AVO kit, can you give a direct link to it on that site?

The back of the factory radio looks like death.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_62&products_id=228

If you are not familiar with wiring I would have a shop do it for you.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Very nice writeup, answered a lot of questions... unfortunately, a little late for my install, but still ... nice job.

I've got the metra dash kit in my 2.5i w/ manual climate controls, and while I agree it's not an exact match, it's pretty darn close.. and I didn't have to wire any circuits :)

Fantastic call on the depth of the door speakers. Got the Boston S60 components sets a while back, and with both door panels off, and everything disassembled, I realized the speakers wouldn't fit. Drove to the shop with no panels only to find out they didn't have the right spacers. Ended up fabbing my own out of chip-board. Looks and sounds great...

gfxDave99 - How did you install the tweeters for the components? Just curious, I replaced the stock tweeters with the Bostons, but the install was a little messy... wondering if there was an easier way...

If you're curious, I've got some pics on cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2318799

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_62&products_id=228

If you are not familiar with wiring I would have a shop do it for you.

Thanks for the link. I just wish it would let you enlarge the pic more. Do you have any good pics of the setup in your car? I just want to see how the color matches and see how flush it is in the cubby.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

End-up getting a simple add-on for the factory set-up. All I did was add a mono Alpine 450 amp connected to the Alpine Type S 10" Sub. No need for the clean sweep if you keep the factory door speakers from what I was told.

The factory built-in EQ settings apparently only apply to the door speakers. From what I can tell, the sub is good to go as is. No need for the clean sweep or even to replace the factory speakers.

For wagon owners, the Wicked CAS sub case for $300 seems like a no-brainer. Less than half the cost of the stealth box.

The audio tech felt the quality of the factory speakers was sufficient as is. Otherwise he said if you change the factory speakers out...you'll need to get that clean sweep.

End-up getting a simple add-on for the factory set-up. All I did was add a mono Alpine 450 amp connected to the Alpine Type S 10" Sub. No need for the clean sweep if you keep the factory door speakers from what I was told.

The factory built-in EQ settings apparently only apply to the door speakers. From what I can tell, the sub is good to go as is. No need for the clean sweep or even to replace the factory speakers.

For wagon owners, the Wicked CAS sub case for $300 seems like a no-brainer. Less than half the cost of the stealth box.

The audio tech felt the quality of the factory speakers was sufficient as is. Otherwise he said if you change the factory speakers out...you'll need to get that clean sweep.

Suit yourself, but the factory EQ affects the subwoofer's range as well... but it is true that you would need an amp and new front speakers for a Cleansweep to make sense.

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5995/volcomparedefeated8et.th.gif

The blue trace is at Volume "10"

The red trace is at Volume "25"

The green trace is at Volume "35"

(Yes, the description on the graph is wrong)

If I had the budget, would do my wagon like yours...just the ultimate set-up. Especially the way your tech soundproofed the doors and used custom speaker grilles.

At least I can always add the clean sweep later and new speakers. JL really seems to dominate the market for the factory interface. For now I got this set-up for about $800 incl installation and the sub case.

By the way, the audio shop was an authorized JL reseller - they did a really good job and seemed to be very knowledgable about the clean sweep. Plus they had a ton in stock.