LegacyGT.com

easiest way to 500 whp

This is very entertaining. My suggestion for a 500hp legacy that should be a little reliable. Remember- you can pick two powerful, reliable, and cheap.

Cosworth longblock $17,000

Big rotated turbo with full custom exhaust $3-5,000

STI 6 speed transmission $6,000

Brembo brakes (or other big brakes) $3,000

Front mount intercooler $1,000

Dual fuel pumps, big injectors, new fuel lines and fuel rails $2,000

Figure another $10,000 to get it all together (stuff like timing belt, clutch, suspension braces to reduce wheel hop, hoses, bolts...)

That is probably most of the expense, and it assumes you can do almost all of the legwork yourself. $44,000.

(I don't have a high horsepower legacy and this is all just a guess)

wow sounds like the government !

thing is with a high hp car .. you don't need to take corners fast or stop fast .. cream the guy right off the line kill all hopes of him ever catching up and just diddle along the rest of the way :D

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rugger,

This may be my first post on this forum, but the link listed for the 'Sock will help you leaps and bounds. 3 months of development is nowhere near having an ability to rebuild an entire engine, and this isn't the type of thing that someone learns in a semester. Hell, the real professionals get a graduate's degree or more (that's 6 years in the field, mind you).

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but please be realistic. This is going to be a lot of work, and I can guarantee you that if you were to drive a 300whp subaru you'd get one hell of a thrill, spend a whole lot less of your time (and money) on something that will not be reliable, and have the reliability that people on the forum are talking about.

However, if you do build up the car that you're planning, in addition to the modifications to the car, I would sincerely recommend taking driving lessons to develop an understanding and effective racing habits. Having that much power without any real driving experience is utterly irresponsible. Not only would you be a hazard to yourself, but to everyone on the road.

My $0.02

-Bishop

i dont think anywhere in my posts i said i was doing this by myself or building an engine by myself, i am also pretty positive that reliability wasnt the issue either.

This is very entertaining. My suggestion for a 500hp legacy that should be a little reliable. Remember- you can pick two powerful, reliable, and cheap.

Cosworth longblock $17,000

Big rotated turbo with full custom exhaust $3-5,000

STI 6 speed transmission $6,000

Brembo brakes (or other big brakes) $3,000

Front mount intercooler $1,000

Dual fuel pumps, big injectors, new fuel lines and fuel rails $2,000

Figure another $10,000 to get it all together (stuff like timing belt, clutch, suspension braces to reduce wheel hop, hoses, bolts...)

That is probably most of the expense, and it assumes you can do almost all of the legwork yourself. $44,000.

(I don't have a high horsepower legacy and this is all just a guess)

wow finally, it took all those bullshit posts to get to one that was actually what i was asking about. kudos AShoe. hopefully it wont be running me that much but worst case scenario i know what im looking at

If you want a 500 whp car, then this car is the wrong platform. You can do it but it is utter nonsense and it will not provide you the kind of satisfaction you seek even if you have the money and the patience to pull it off.

You deserve every bit the scorn of the community.

500whp Subarus are not reliable. They are great when they run, but you will NEVER get 100,000 trouble free miles out of them. Something always breaks. Unless you drive like a grandma, and then whats the point?

If you are SERIOUS about reliable power, follow Frank_ster's lead and swap something that isn't an EJ motor into the car. Or buy a Viper/Vette/Whatever that already has it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Wow this thread turned into a giant fail. I feel bad for the OP.

Seriously, money no object you could build a LGT street monster like you want. You'd need PPG gears, axles, etc to hold up to a motor like this.

If you lowered your expectations to say 375 whp you'd have a solid low 12 second DD.

"i'm not a car guy, i don't know what tuning is, etc"

these are not the words one should hear from the mouth of an individual wanting 2x the performance from his engine. i doubt very seriously that you can (properly) handle the power the car is currently able to generate.

please give someone close your login info for the site so they can post your obit for us.

"i'm not a car guy, i don't know what tuning is, etc"

these are not the words one should hear from the mouth of an individual wanting 2x the performance from his engine. i doubt very seriously that you can (properly) handle the power the car is currently able to generate.

please give someone close your login info for the site so they can post your obit for us.

X2

I missed that post where he said that. But what's a non-car guy going to do with 500WHP besides KILL himself.

The best way to learn is on a car that cannot out-drive the driver. A 500WHP anything will out-drive most amateurs and novices.

Just for the record, I'd like to point to the following thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-lovely-spec-b-hvy-mod-rocket-rally-149873.html

$60k later, he's approaching 500 WHP, although probably not there yet. Look at the mod list, then start thinking about how much you really have to spend and if you want to spend it.

Just to clarify...

You want 500whp, and money is no object, but are insistant on using the LGT as your platform...

May I ask why?

If you're not interested in the reliability of a subaru, what is it about the LGT that requires this to be the chassis used (I say chassis, because you won't have the same drivetrain or powertrain when everything's said and done, it'll basically be a shell of an LGT).

To be perfectly honest, if you're interested in using a subaru to build this monster, maybe using an old GC body impreza would be of more benefit to you. You could probably pick up a 1993 Impreza L (with the 2.2 non-turbo) for around $2-$3k in poor condition. That wouldn't really matter, though. To be frank, you'll be stripping out everything under the hood, changing out the diff., pretty much everything anyway. You may as well use a lighter chassis to begin with (IIRC my 2000 RS was aroun 2800lbs, whereas I'd imagine the LGT is around 3400), then have a custom roll cage installed, gut the rest of the interior, and you've got yourself a wicked AWD racecar.

The reason I bought my LGT instead of going with an STi, WRX, or trying to find another old GC to build up was because I've grown tired of the idea of modification beyond general bolt-ons and conservative tuning, I know the LGT is more of a grocery-getter sedan than its impreza counterparts, but that's what I like about it. I've decided that compromising weight and potential power for the luxury and feel of a Legacy. I'm really happy with my purchase because I know of the reliability that comes with owning a Legacy, but with the GT I know I have the ability to drop the hammer and get a nice rouse out of the butt-dyno when I'm feeling more spirited.

To me, putting 500whp in a Legacy is kind of like trying to put a small block 350 in a Chevy Sprint; sure, you can do it, but why? That's not what the car is designed for, and unless you have some sort of nostalgic ties to the vehicle (which clearly you don't, as you just recently purchased the car) it just doesn't make sense to me.

I think people (myself included) are trying to talk you out of this idea because you would be able to find much more productive ways to generate the projected amount of HP by re-evaluating your paradigms.

-Bishop

So lets be realistic here... People who are actually serious about getting 500whp on these cars NEVER post a question like "whats the EASIEST way to get 500whp". They actually do a lot of research about what people get on each particular setup, analyze what they think they need to reach their goal, and then ask specific questions.

So, survey says... :dontfeedthetroll: and this will never happen.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

So lets be realistic here... People who are actually serious about getting 500whp on these cars NEVER post a question like "whats the EASIEST way to get 500whp". They actually do a lot of research about what people get on each particular setup, analyze what they think they need to reach their goal, and then ask specific questions.

Agreed. Anyone who is going to be pushing the limits of engine & platform design doesn't ask such a general question.

thats fair enough, and all couldve been settled with that kind of reply first. i was just seeing what a general consensus would get me, obviously this project is a way off from completion. research is being done each step i take, but to get an overall feel of what im looking for is why i posted

Archived