LegacyGT.com

easiest way to 500 whp

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want a reliable 500 WHP subaru car, swap in an H6, then start using forced induction.

500 WHP would require roughly 600 CHP due to drive train losses. That corresponds to 240 HP/L, which is significantly over ANY production car. The high-water mark is around 200 HP/L for forced-induction engines. Most super-cars make less than that. An Evo X FQ-400 (UK variant) gets 400 CHP out of a 2.0L I4, the US variant is worse.

Realistically, anything that would have enough reliability to be usable as a daily driver is going to top out at around 400 WHP. If that's good enough, I'm sure people can offer suggestions, but if you're dead set on 500 WHP, start thinking about engine swaps.

Here is a great thread from NASIOC that we should be linking every time that someone comes around asking this kinda crap. Sounds like they get this question ever other day over there.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393580

It goes through the reality of a 400+ hp motor and what it means to drive one, maintain one etc. Some good stuff.

so we should all be hung like mules then? because everyone knows there is NOTHING faster than a subaru! LOL

Seriously there is fast, then there is asking a 2.5 liter engine to put out 500hp as a daily driver or relibale in any real way? Sorry its a BAd expencive idea IMO

like i said once i start with this it wont be a DD and im fine with maintaining it

Biggie smalls, im already prepared mentally for a full swap like that, the guy helping me build this is very knowledgeable about what is most likely needed, but he has never built a legacy (hes all about wrx). Financially, well thats a no brainer that itll be a very slow process to save, afford, buy, install and still be able to buy the wife presents for allowing me to do this. who knows, maybe ill be happy with 375-400 but if we can build to be capable of more, even better

if i earn it i spend it, youre right that was me im not claiming to have a phd in any said field of cars, i dont know much dude, but i know enough to know what im getting into, which is why homie is helping me. if i new all this shizz i would do it myself.

rao- to make sure its achievable and reasonable (probably not going to be but #2 happens). im sure if/when we get to that point ill start considering more but i dont want to go bigger until we figure out the exact direction this is heading and see what the final build looks and feels like

Both of these posts were 3 months ago. I'll just let them speak for themselves.

Just bought my 08 legacy gt limited from my fiances brother, never been a car person until now and i cant wait to get some more horsies on this machine. whats a relatively cost effective first mod for her? my plan is to keep the exterior as stock looking as possible

fish you mention an accessport, when it comes to cars and terms im retarded. but what is the function of this accessport you speak of?

thanks LA!

my point is... instead of "buying the parts slowly" or whatever you brilliant plan is, PUT YOUR MONEY IN THE BANK and while you SAVE IT, learn all you can, get a few rides in high HP cars, and when you have the money to do it right, ask yourself if you still want to bother. I'm betting you'll by then come to the realization that there are a lot better ways to spend a house downpayment than on a "fasterar car."

whats your point? 3 months is quite some time to learn, shit whats a semester at college? 3 months? i think i learned quite a bit in every semester i attended throughout the course of my bachelors degree. who are you to tell me i couldnt get in with people, see what the F they were talking about, get a good knowledge of what im looking for and pull the trigger on the project, youre acting like i have a bottomless pit of monies and im just paying for this. Im doing this with the help of a friend and he unlike some on here is actually helpful in breaking shlt down for me. but thank you for your deepest concerns

rao- to make sure its achievable and reasonable (probably not going to be but #2 happens). im sure if/when we get to that point ill start considering more but i dont want to go bigger until we figure out the exact direction this is heading and see what the final build looks and feels like

I am not sure about this way of thinking - if your goal is ONLY 500 whp then you will never achieve anything more than 500 whp. On the other hand, if you plan on building say 750-800 whp and you fall a little short and only manage say 675 or so you are still way ahead of the 500 goal.

Rugger,

This may be my first post on this forum, but the link listed for the 'Sock will help you leaps and bounds. 3 months of development is nowhere near having an ability to rebuild an entire engine, and this isn't the type of thing that someone learns in a semester. Hell, the real professionals get a graduate's degree or more (that's 6 years in the field, mind you).

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but please be realistic. This is going to be a lot of work, and I can guarantee you that if you were to drive a 300whp subaru you'd get one hell of a thrill, spend a whole lot less of your time (and money) on something that will not be reliable, and have the reliability that people on the forum are talking about.

However, if you do build up the car that you're planning, in addition to the modifications to the car, I would sincerely recommend taking driving lessons to develop an understanding and effective racing habits. Having that much power without any real driving experience is utterly irresponsible. Not only would you be a hazard to yourself, but to everyone on the road.

My $0.02

-Bishop

this whole thread has saved my night of boredom...thank you all for the entertainmaint. and do what doster said 100% right.....anyone can throw money at a car and make it fast. You can have 500hp but none of it matter if you have shit tires, or suspension. Im new to this subaru world as well as the motorcycle world. I compare this to a first time rider buying a 1000 cause 600's are for pussies. Buy your 1000 but dont be crying when a guy on a 250 rapes you in the twisties. If you want a street care build it for the street not the track. If you want a track car build it for the track. If you cant drive it doesnt matter what you build it for.

This is very entertaining. My suggestion for a 500hp legacy that should be a little reliable. Remember- you can pick two powerful, reliable, and cheap.

Cosworth longblock $17,000

Big rotated turbo with full custom exhaust $3-5,000

STI 6 speed transmission $6,000

Brembo brakes (or other big brakes) $3,000

Front mount intercooler $1,000

Dual fuel pumps, big injectors, new fuel lines and fuel rails $2,000

Figure another $10,000 to get it all together (stuff like timing belt, clutch, suspension braces to reduce wheel hop, hoses, bolts...)

That is probably most of the expense, and it assumes you can do almost all of the legwork yourself. $44,000.

(I don't have a high horsepower legacy and this is all just a guess)

Archived