LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

Rest assured, I only speak *nix when I need to :lol:

The only problem to keep in mind with wireless/inductive charging is that generally the charging rates are too slow to keep up with the current draw you'd consume with the screen on/peripherals added. So you might extend the battery life a bit, but you won't be able to actually charge the battery with purely wireless charging alone, especially if you're powering USB-OTG devices as well.

Powered hub for the periphials. Qi charging is better than no charging. Does not support OTG mode and wireless charging.

For my short commute, I wouldn't need to charge anyways. But for longer trips the inductance charging could be enough. Also, if I buy a large enough Nexus six, there won't be a need for a thumb drive. The only other peripheral would likely be a USB dac and a back up camera that would be off most of the time. Actually I haven't looked in to see if the Nexus 6 can do charging plus hosting. Hmmm. As of now, nearly 1.5 years after being released, it does not support this.

This idea looks dead to me.

Edited by rebourne
got my facts straight.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rebourne, my next car will actually have the setup you're talking about (if it doesn't support Android Auto). White I love the tablet, and it is a clean install, there are too many little compromises that we all have to make for it to work.

I think whenever I get the next Legacy, I might opt for a slide in mount with Qi charging, and then use AutomateIt or Tasker to automatically put it into car mode. That way, phone calls, txt messages, and all media on my phone is there for me instead of having to sync and/or use two devices in the car.

This is all a moot point if Android Auto is available for Subaru though. Any word on that?

Alright, FINALLY here is a quick video I made. I claimed it'd be less than 10 mn but it ended up being 10mn :spin:.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0slj-8_d-8]Nexus 7 2013 installed in 05 subaru outback using stock NAV bezel - YouTube[/ame]

1azRgI5GCt2JiwJVIL1KHU2xTSfHwZVppLHLn1NOQ8u9Znjti4RtRAmL3lh71Opf9qIBiFU52Pu7TDJ8fpd9KKg7UAzHQ1xVMd-aM6YXqjlUEJtcJh-282EIfKoyCmkv1QSwrrje_ByEZjhKzU4Peq_8m8pUt9TLrkX039Oajol2O4YDQTNhIGs2d0-D5vvnpPUBylkRLAKYUhjHEPpMa7Zy4eOJs_x8rcFxJzqOPaR4fWsclzhDz3B-qoksMFfrQb6dtnAXZOuvptoSPIlGBUGnWG1hnCnGovd8rsEH-je8JAYSThwFybcNY1moJ29rTHSiZQqmAdIRG8Q-_L5bSIBXX4nyvpNrBEH-iHXYe8FM-PN1v12GgAHu0ftntx4L6ty_f2YdaQwMFP9rz9vpPrXeBBjp7YLeFSI2Lfxeto-rtLEFdQMJDqn4YQOf4A98cKj7P1Rlw64wdAEuep4cmW6PLBsrlBl9feh3vEqDHpwqHfOGeuenZzEJALHa_6tWugwbQCRbgPMaebyTUtCAK1-MYLKnHbAeYPtvhEja1XXp7UDcjgzjsBYwlUjV3QsbWQHB9GzGB0DTPUgoGGNY1xG2qDekE90=w1327-h995-no

VWIw5lPvNCeOmRUIxy5QP_36XwQtd4YGtGJEBR1kW58kHJChPfNiHA3OXsqqOnQopVIXPLY6LgMa=w1327-h995-no

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Nice work! The power button is a nice touch! Sometimes I wish I bothered to install a remote power button for my 2013 install, but luckily it's been running mostly stable and I haven't had a need for it yet.

Thanks man. Hopefully you'll never have a need for it. But yeah( if for some reason one day an app decides to keep the tablet awake and drain it, then you may be stuck.

So I am now running timur kernal for android 6.0. I am stuck because I can't figure out what I am supposed to do to setup vcam for my backup camera? Anyone help?

I am running lollipop with the Timur ROM and have never been able to get the vcam to work. I am using the easycap app instead.

Thanks man. Hopefully you'll never have a need for it. But yeah( if for some reason one day an app decides to keep the tablet awake and drain it, then you may be stuck.

That's not a problem, as long as the battery doesn't go completely dead. I turned off off-mode charging, so if the tablet is off and it receives power, it won't just sit and charge, but it will power itself on instead.

Yeah that's what I meant though (battery gone completely dead). It happened to me in the past due to some stupid app waking up the tablet :mad:.

When my 2013 battery went completely dead once, it was unrepairable. As in, the battery itself was toast, because the Li-Ion cells were discharged too far to be safe to re-charge again, so the control circuitry permanently disabled those cells. Charging the tablet wouldn't do anything, the only fix was to replace the battery itself. A power button wouldn't help me there ;)

Alright, FINALLY here is a quick video I made. I claimed it'd be less than 10 mn but it ended up being 10mn :spin:.

mklVi0_1nItG43nHXYlH8tIYdGd7jyX_7j_Ci6IHBY0O0d2PTMzK9In9UJizLxbkzAYceYT_iK134Rj8itD4-E-nlQkUEZlueZ5eFMIP96o4sV2sTFD_VLFCv_0_JPH7a6gC_GKLoIzRJ8VAZm5RE6ch8LngORR6MH9-sE9szpb2N4G3CLU8QTlbWio06UR29G7MEb1asE0MJJFFwBd1sFKs6KSxbFtx03hjxJVF7Ae5rJK_9BoZQkQPHyPzQX8aviJMUoLZycTVzoGJxYNkpsB56Ciu0o5ghbJlgtZFzKz7Vl_LDgPigQKdLN72coGEHqH0OCMFtQcl1smKQuprE4glSyuyvHE9MZEurnlJvj7J2YihAOFcmZ14uDwo7SLkOkpto87jo3ct7PTNSExAI5tV1rMHi6-1h7-WIqbhwlOnOEd65PXP4GTgbEzUaLt2-Un3Edsc37HJN7ZtXUyatkf826SSp98uCjRF5gNlA5gAnc6Y_Qs6pDWAm6mvFh-3pTy9sctom8560n9Uobc_OpMDMm-I9Ji7jO2R7S_VS2Ed_eMoIjSD_z3woDpjbnE37gJGAcTVomq2DkoVZTZ6M_eSx56i0Ng=w1024-h768-no

Rpxjd9cxJA3K5qV8DUlOPNkhlffh87aAubQCLs-uJIMLpoN0gQxh11khdq3rbrq11ns1810rflwTyA6drZZ1oid5kIleSTJHn52LrhiyGdIKw1zmk3nkORmZBXzF6lkLnWiSCshmOWkNO4pKG_jo8Tx-XjIVpdVfA9M7REYp2G1Xo3lkzZWU4bLAH7cizPJSdWXoWZ_KzmogYycXLVaWRhfwcU1NvPgoyDp9-cALrJHEH2-G1ITEsWrFAOns7-YxT_ueLGRAvPi-7vRKNkCAgJqEL4w7PU9KZDnIdWdwmfwPVOMqYdO5Lb8BDgmQnBCm7Xoqs5zw5DgvwoJ6zyx75e68xquZFk4qzcFoNB63_Pp4RYlZc_mmsk76PLZ4oTYDW85N7YvnmPb1sXJJy_Ug6kgf6iAizIGoHWNCPzIreCKDfUl_ISqVuETIWhFb2Fhi2VRUEkjCyjfc6suME3b7fhy6CWGXkj_1RECo-i95plBpQbR-9bQJ6OssAKHrOW7k1_rrpQ1efQqxAb8SB4A6pW1RAR14KBcMRbBpiHmdo6luSMD6mqLBX6MRdgQc-hNvHqY9AwbeqJTYYTiVVv7Q5tS669dzBfQ=w1024-h768-no

There's two pics here that aren't working for me.... Phone and PC.

Did you take pictures of the back of the bezel and how you mounted it?

Looks super clean!

sorry. I think the pictures show up now. I did take two pictures of the back of the bezel a while ago. I'll post them later. Maybe I should just create a 'build' thread of what I've done so it'll be easier to refer to it in the future.

Yeah, fixed.

Build thread would be awesome. Especially if you kept an updated front page with what's currently running hardware and app wise. And any other links or threads that helped speed up your build.

What's the disadvantage of the usdm bezel?

And could you get more movement back in that vent if you hacked the back of the N7 to have the jack come out the back?

Yeah, fixed.

Build thread would be awesome. Especially if you kept an updated front page with what's currently running hardware and app wise. And any other links or threads that helped speed up your build.

What's the disadvantage of the usdm bezel?

And could you get more movement back in that vent if you hacked the back of the N7 to have the jack come out the back?

An obvious disadvantage is the loss of screen real estate: You loose a small section of pixels at the bottom, a bit more than the width of the 'soft' buttons. Thanks to another forum member suggestion, he showed me how to perfectly resize the tablet screen to match the bezel opening.

Also, if you watched my video, I no longer use the soft buttons. This way, I gained back some screen real estate.

I guess another downside is the fact that it requires quite a lot of work to get the tablet to fit (i.e. lots of dremel work). You have to be very careful and patient with your dremel if you want to keep the vents functional.

I don't think you can get the USB port to come out the back with the 2013 version. Maybe you can but it would be pretty involved. In any case, I am really not loosing much side to side motion at all. But keep in mind I had to take one vertical 'flap' of the driver side vent since it was completely in the way with the USB cable.

An obvious disadvantage is the loss of screen real estate: You loose a small section of pixels at the bottom, a bit more than the width of the 'soft' buttons. Thanks to another forum member suggestion, he showed me how to perfectly resize the tablet screen to match the bezel opening.

Also, if you watched my video, I no longer use the soft buttons. This way, I gained back some screen real estate.

I guess another downside is the fact that it requires quite a lot of work to get the tablet to fit (i.e. lots of dremel work). You have to be very careful and patient with your dremel if you want to keep the vents functional.

I don't think you can get the USB port to come out the back with the 2013 version. Maybe you can but it would be pretty involved. In any case, I am really not loosing much side to side motion at all. But keep in mind I had to take one vertical 'flap' of the driver side vent since it was completely in the way with the USB cable.

You can indeed get the USB port to come out the back on the 2013. You just need to be confident in your soldering skills ;)

• 2 weeks later...
xt2005bonbon are you running your tablet with a btssm dongle or do you have the cable? Just curious as i just got mine setup and like timur said with the torque app, the bluetooth is not shutting down and is eating battery in FI mode.

xt2005bonbon are you running your tablet with a btssm dongle or do you have the cable? Just curious as i just got mine setup and like timur said with the torque app, the bluetooth is not shutting down and is eating battery in FI mode.

There are auto-shutoff options in BtSsm, FYI. Those may be of use.

No. I am using a VAGCOM cable. Just in case, if you take a look at the youtube video I made, I included all the hardware and key apps in the video description.

• 4 weeks later...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=67636359&postcount=5625

Finally got around to porting Timur's USB-OTG driver to ElementalX and publishing the work. I've been running it on my in-dash install for several weeks now, and it's running worlds better! I have absolutely no USB detection issues, charging issues, or power-off/power-on issues. Now just to see if flar2 updates EX with the fix. Otherwise, I can supply people with my modified EX-4.05 branch. I'm running it over SlimLP 5.1.1 on my 2013 Nexus 7.