LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

Looking forward to hearing these results! Based on bonbon's input I'm guessing Timur's ROM does not fix it either.

The Limefuel pack worked great up until yesterday using 1A out. Now the passthrough on the pack is hit or miss, as if the chip is confused. (Display goes wonky as the pack tries to decide what to do for several seconds at a time). Haven't decided if Im going to get it replaced or see if it can be modified to suit my needs.

Timur's ROM worked fine for me on my 2012 N7. You can't control the deep-sleep timing from his "fixed-installation" mode, but you can just avoid using that entirely and manually deep-sleep the tablet through Tasker as I described above.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I would add the following: for the past week, I've been cutting power on/off manually to both the tablet and USB devices when I get in/out the car so as to avoid the issue with cranking (i.e. OTG USB charging cable end gets plugged in once the car is running; once I leave the car, charging cable is unplugged). And since I've been doing this, everything has been running fine really. I'll report later to really confirm the observed behavior, but I'll definitely get that delayed relay part installed.

Got my first relay module in today. FYI, i just realized, these may not be the best bet for automotive, as they're cheap relays rated to 12VDC (and a car's positive rail is generally closer to 14VDC when running). I'm gonna try it out and not really expect any serious problems, but I won't be surprised if the relay fries and I need to replace them (in which case, I'll keep the same circuit board and just drop in an automotive relay). Just some food for thought.

• 3 weeks later...

A shot of the switch: http://i.imgur.com/dISdiXD.jpg

A shot of the soldering: http://i.imgur.com/Qt3T6yU.jpg

All I did was solder a momentary SPST switch to the original power button after carefully exposing the two contacts. After soldering, cover it with glue/epoxy to protect the solder joints from ripping the traces off of the connector. Alternatively, there are a couple points on the PCB near the small ribbon cable connector you can solder to, but I don't remember which off the top of my head.

That was on my 2012 tablet, which I've since retired after shattering the screen a while back. Using a 2013 tablet now, and I didn't bother with a remote power switch since it's been pretty stable so far in my testing. I bricked the thing a couple days ago by letting the battery run completely dead after borking my OS install. Letting it slowly charge now =_=

As for the timer, I got that figured out now and working, but it wasn't as simple as I thought earlier. Mainly because the circuits I bought didn't do what I expected/wanted. The "delayed-off" they advertised was to turn on as soon as power was applied, and then turn off after some time (while power is still applied) and not turn back on again. I looked up the datasheet for the timer IC they use on the board and rewired it a little bit to get the functionality I want. I imagine you may have similar results with the timer you got... in any case I can design a full circuit for you if you'd like and throw the schematic up somewhere (complete with off-the-shelf components/part numbers).

Edited by solidxsnake

A shot of the switch: http://i.imgur.com/dISdiXD.jpg

A shot of the soldering: http://i.imgur.com/Qt3T6yU.jpg

All I did was solder a momentary SPST switch to the original power button after carefully exposing the two contacts. After soldering, cover it with glue/epoxy to protect the solder joints from ripping the traces off of the connector. Alternatively, there are a couple points on the PCB near the small ribbon cable connector you can solder to, but I don't remember which off the top of my head.

That was on my 2012 tablet, which I've since retired after shattering the screen a while back. Using a 2013 tablet now, and I didn't bother with a remote power switch since it's been pretty stable so far in my testing. I bricked the thing a couple days ago by letting the battery run completely dead after borking my OS install. Letting it slowly charge now =_=

As for the timer, I got that figured out now and working, but it wasn't as simple as I thought earlier. Mainly because the circuits I bought didn't do what I expected/wanted. The "delayed-off" they advertised was to turn on as soon as power was applied, and then turn off after some time (while power is still applied) and not turn back on again. I looked up the datasheet for the timer IC they use on the board and rewired it a little bit to get the functionality I want. I imagine you may have similar results with the timer you got... in any case I can design a full circuit for you if you'd like and throw the schematic up somewhere (complete with off-the-shelf components/part numbers).

Thanks for the info for your remote button.

As for the timer, actually the one that I bought appears to fit the bill. That little thing has 17 different settings! Here is the manual. The developper has even youtube videos to show you how to set it up. I had a couple of questions and he replied pretty quickly. I selected setting #12 from figure 2 and setting #2 from figure 5. I have done some bench testing and so far it does exactly what I wanted it to do (stays on as long as the trigger sees a hot signal--as soon as trigger no longer sees a hot signal, timer begins and my load still gets power for a given time---perfect for the cranking scenario). Final test will be in the car, but I am expecting that it'll work just fine.

On a side note, I am planning to buy another one of those to set up a 3rd brake flasher light. In DC, it is a must I think!

As for the timer, actually the one that I bought appears to fit the bill. That little thing has 17 different settings! Here is the manual. The developper has even youtube videos to show you how to set it up. I had a couple of questions and he replied pretty quickly. I selected setting #12 from figure 2 and setting #2 from figure 5. I have done some bench testing and so far it does exactly what I wanted it to do (stays on as long as the trigger sees a hot signal--as soon as trigger no longer sees a hot signal, timer begins and my load still gets power for a given time---perfect for the cranking scenario). Final test will be in the car, but I am expecting that it'll work just fine.

On a side note, I am planning to buy another one of those to set up a 3rd brake flasher light. In DC, it is a must I think!

I have pulsating brake light for my sti spoiler. It really catches the attention of person behind you.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Well shame on me. Wish I had known about that timer, would have saved me some time and hackery :lol:

Waiting on a microUSB B breakout board so I can relocate the microUSB jack on my (yes, I got another one because I broke the last one too!) latest N7 2013. My impatience continues to bite me in the ass :spin:

FYI, if you guys have to go in to get the airbag changed, might want to remove the tablet . Im hearing stories of Subaru techs not putting everything as they should.

My high mileage turd.

FYI, if you guys have to go in to get the airbag changed, might want to remove the tablet . Im hearing stories of Subaru techs not putting everything as they should.

Good to know. Given my luck the past couple weeks, when I end up in a dealership for the recall I probably still will have a gaping hole in the center of my dash :lol:

More specific? Not sure how anyone can help diagnose or troubleshoot an "issue" with no other details :spin:

You Totally Right!

My issue is, when my tablet gets rebooted while OTG Charging and it gets back not charging and I have to cut the power manually to reset it all and then it works again

I'm currently running cm13 with elementalx 5.8

Mine running on the latest Glitch kernel (and EX 4.05, I think the behaviour was the same) on SlimLP doesn't show that it's charging on boot, but it actually is. I've disabled off-mode-charge, so as soon as the tablet receives power, it boots up. The battery icon doesn't show that it's charging, but reading the kernel log ("dmesg" in a terminal/adb shell) shows that it is indeed fast charging, and the battery level does increase.

On another note, I just received the same timer xt2005 bought in the mail today. Gonna be away from home till next week, but I plan on wiring that up and FINALLY being done with the hardware portion of this tablet install. After that I'm going to start looking into modifying the Glitch kernel to work the way I want. If I figure it out, I'll be sure to share my findings with everyone, but guarantees on the promptness =P

^ I think you will be pleased with that timer gadget. As for me, I should receive my new OEM nav bezel by the end of the week. I also bought a pack of micro USB male connectors so I can fix my otg cable on the nexus end, and also customize its angle.

^ I think you will be pleased with that timer gadget. As for me, I should receive my new OEM nav bezel by the end of the week. I also bought a pack of micro USB male connectors so I can fix my otg cable on the nexus end, and also customize its angle.

I though that the JDM Nav Bezel was discontinued by the manufacturer

That has been the most challenging part of the mod, I went with the cubby craving route I've been chopping plastic for a week and haven't get it right yet

I though that the JDM Nav Bezel was discontinued by the manufacturer

That has been the most challenging part of the mod, I went with the cubby craving route I've been chopping plastic for a week and haven't get it right yet

It is indeed discontinued. So I bought instead an OEM USDM nav bezel, which will certainly require some chopping and stuff (and a bit of screen real estate loss).

---> 66060AG07A

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95791&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1319109029

It is indeed discontinued. So I bought instead an OEM USDM nav bezel, which will certainly require some chopping and stuff (and a bit of screen real estate loss).

---> 66060AG07A

<snip>

Yeah, after attempting chopping up the stock cubby bezel, I think the nav bezel is a better bet if you don't mind the real estate loss. The worst part of the cubby bezel for me was getting the sides flush with the screen, which would involve adding a good amount of very thin material, which is a pain to do cleanly.

Yeah. I am also planning to fit my soundstream pre amp underneath the tablet where the oem nav button are supposed to go. I am crossing my fingers that it'll work.. That thing has been in sitting in the cup holder for the past 6 years :rolleyes:.

http://shop.adnts.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/c/ecualizador-parametrico-soundstream-mpq-5xo-b.jpg

Found this guy on Timurs reddit page. Looks really clean .

http://imgur.com/a/Ijejh

This guy is audio goals

http://imgur.com/a/HaJbB

Edited by battelready

My high mileage turd.