LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I did see your video very cool setup. I do want to make the tablet my main audio source but ..... I do like the 6cd - indash on the 08 stereo.....before anyone gets upset, yes I still play CD's.

I am also on the fence with the whole JDM double din. Its a lot of money for it, and then you still have to buy the actual double din.....I also don't want to get into the audio stuff for my car this year as I already have too many parts and projects on the go currently.

But at some point next year I'm either going to bite the bullet on the JDM DD, or I am going to go the amp,eq and merge the signal

I use my tablet as the main audio source, but I can still use the 6CD changer... I just feed the tablet into the AUX-in port (you can see how farther up in the thread, of course). The CD changer is just a press away on the OEM head unit. I don't understand why you'd use an FM transmitter when you could just use the aux-in (which I know you have since you said '08 stereo). It's much higher quality, much more reliable, and frankly, much easier. You can just hook a 3.5mm cable from the tablet to the AUX in, but I prefer a USB DAC because the audio directly out of the tablet isn't the best quality, especially if you don't use an isolated power supply.

My outback is identical interior/exterior/Trans as yours. I like your setup and plan to add a backup camera to my n7 setup this summer

Great. Let us know how it goes. I can report by the way after more than 9 months of use, everything works just fine, the camera as well.

I am planning to add one more mod to my set up which is a timer for the back up camera. Say for instance you're backing up from your garage and your driveway is on a slight incline; you will then disengage the rear gear once the car gets some momentum. But the problem with this is that the back-up camera will immediately stop working. So I will add a timer (like this one) to let the camera on for say 10 or 15 seconds after the rear gear is disengaged. This is the same piece of electronic that I am using btw to get the tablet to shutdown 15 seconds after the tablet is no longer charging.

Why can't you use the trunk 12v cig outlet? If you don't have one the wagons are wired for one on the driver side.

Cig lighters are on switched 12V, so that's not what he's looking for. Also, AFAIK they're not on sedans either (I for sure don't have one).

I do have one but as solidxsnake said, it is not always 'hot'. I think I will probably use the rear dome light, which reminds me that I need to connect the rear dome light in parallel with the cabin dome light and the courtesy door lights; then add another timer to these so they all shut down after a set time. This way, I'll avoid a drained battery..

I do have one but as solidxsnake said, it is not always 'hot'. I think I will probably use the rear dome light, which reminds me that I need to connect the rear dome light in parallel with the cabin dome light and the courtesy door lights; then add another timer to these so they all shut down after a set time. This way, I'll avoid a drained battery..

Just quoting myself here :rolleyes: just to say that it may not be so wise after all to get the dome lights, courtesy and map lights to be connected all together due to the BIU. I believe they are all connected to it and making any changes to the oem set up may fry that thing. :mad:

Did you see this thread by chance xt2005bonbon? I'm far from a genius with electricity but it seems pretty doable for someone with a reasonable skill level such as yourself so it may be worth a glance.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/make-all-12v-outlets-constantly-hot-78169.html

thanks for posting this. I'll keep this info handy :).

Different question now...

Does anyone use a joycon EXR with their nexus 7 set up in order to use the steering wheel buttons?

I have one. I have it programmed, but it's not setup.

I was trying to use the roll connector through the steering wheel controls, but so far, i'm not getting a signal.

I haven't messed with it in about 2 weeks though. I'll try to remember to update this if I figure it out. Its probably just a bad connection through the pins.

Yes, please post an update when you can. I did find a youtube video and a thread on the forum where they located the two wires below the steering column that need to be connected to that joycon.

I should clarify I drilled holes in traces on the pcb of buttons because they shared a common ground, so I had to break that. Which video are you talking about though?

Edited by freaksavior