LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Anyone have a link to a working usb video capture device?

I got this one with the STK1160 chip and it didn't work. I got the drivers loaded (by following the guide here) and it looked like it connected but just got a black screen, this is on vcam2.

I had bought a UVC, which if it truly is a UVC should plug in and work without the need of drivers. The listing is gone but here was the title "No-Driver UVC USB 2.0 Video Audio Capture Card Adapter RCA Composite USB Cable" But it's taking forever to get here though so I'm not sure if I will get it at all.

Last option is the UTV007. Thinking about getting one of these. But it's an easycap which should work but will definitely need the drivers or have to use the easycap viewer app.

But if someone has a link to one known to work with vcam2, preferably one that's truly UVC, that would save me some headache.

Also looking or a backup camera. This one looks good but a bit pricey compared to others. Anyone have a link to one they liked? I do only want that style though.

Side note, when research this stuff I came across this russian site

Lots of info there. And a guy who makes a pretty interesting power supply/distributor

When I was setting up that stuff, I gave up and just bought that easycap app with which the capture device you have bought worked fine. Been using this since (almost 3 years now). On timur/lollipop still.

As for backup camera, I got one similar to the one you linked. I also like that oem design. I was trying to find one that provided descent image at night and wide angle. Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CCD-Waterproof-mini-170degree-Rear-Side-Front-Color-Night-View-CAR-BACKUP-Camera/322204141282?epid=900386516&hash=item4b04dd06e2:g:oHIAAOxy63FTAWgs&frcectupt=true

I am fairly happy with it. Although I would have liked a wider view angle. If you find one, please post.

And if I recall correctly, I never installed any driver for the easycap to work. It just worked with the app.

• 5 months later...

I got this capture device, it works with vcam:

Easycap USB 2.0 Audio TV Video VHS to DVD PC HDD Converter Capture Card Adapter

Nothing special really in the description. But I'll post it here for archiving.

Many peopler are selling capture card with cheaper price, but they are selling card with STK1150 STK1160 chip, it is not compatible with WIN 7 32bit and 64bit. And only our card supports WIN7/8/10 and PAL60 and NTSC 443. You will be able to record all games in full color.

Been working on a Nexus 7 replacement for a little while now, mainly so I can connect to the aftermarket ECU.

LattePanda Alpha

LattePanda 7” touch display

OpenUPS power supply

Looks to be working well so far. Auto turns on when power is applied and set to shut down 2mins after power cuts.

Just need to mod the fascia to fit the screen body that is a bit smaller than the Nexus 7 and find a permanent spot for the battery.

Might start playing with some Arduino features at some point as the Alpha has pins for that directly on the main board.

48849525978_15bc141297_b.jpg

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Been working on a Nexus 7 replacement for a little while now, mainly so I can connect to the aftermarket ECU.

LattePanda Alpha

LattePanda 7” touch display

OpenUPS power supply

Looks to be working well so far. Auto turns on when power is applied and set to shut down 2mins after power cuts.

Just need to mod the fascia to fit the screen body that is a bit smaller than the Nexus 7 and find a permanent spot for the battery.

Might start playing with some Arduino features at some point as the Alpha has pins for that directly on the main board.

48849525978_15bc141297_b.jpg

Interesting. Which software are you using to monitor the ECU? Windows OS?

Interesting. Which software are you using to monitor the ECU? Windows OS?

Just the EMTron software.

Yea Windows. Not quite as refined for small screens as Android but ill keep a small keyboard with trackpad in the car for whatever is too hard to deal with By touch.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

How did you make it work with vcam?
Just plugged it into a usb hub. Don't remember the exact settings as I just bench tested it. But I could put it all together again to test if needed. I don't know if I'll actually use it though.

The issues with having the power applied in the right order so the tablet recognizes the usb/usb devices. Plus the sleeping and charging issues I have I don't feel the end result is going to be polished enough to not drive me nuts. Could be a variety of reasons with my particular setup but even still I don't feel putting effort into a tablet this old is worth it. I have it for now, just for Spotify and NAV basically and that's fine but long term in want a better system.

I know what I want and I'm sure I'll get it at some point but there hasn't been much for advancement in it coming to market.

Want I want is android automotive. No not android auto (Google and it's less then stellar naming scheme). It's what new cars will be coming with. Only a couple exist or will exist soon.

It's pretty simply just full android running on a onboard computer. And will only connect to your phone to sync data and tether mobile internet. The major part though is it's built to interact with hardware (form what I remember they call this HAL). So in OEM form that means it can control just about any aspect of the car. Which sadly won't be that helpful in the aftermarket. But it is built to handle Bluetooth comunication (read handsfree) and has the app necessary to Dial phone calls etc. And it's not a hack like the Chinese headunits.

So far someone has made an Android 9 automotive build but only made it compatible with 2 boards. One which is outdated kind of and is being replaced by the second supported board that is not easy to get a hold of yet and kind of exsesively expensive. So not a good start but it's a pretty new thing in general so hopefully there will be some improvement there.

So I think I might in the meantime install crankshaft/openauto/openauto pro, on a raspberry Pi and run android auto for now. At least that way all I'm installing in the dash "permanently" is just a screen. Therefore I can easily update what's plugged into it. And if I opt for openauto pro (paid) it supports Bluetooth among other things. And since the Pi has gpio pins you can control it with many different inputs quite easily. The only major loss would be btssm and not having full Android as a standalone. Basically if a phone isn't attached it's just a useless screen. Which is one of the major reasons I want full android on my Dash.

That kind leads me back to the back up camera. As that will also allow me to feed the backup cam directly (kind of) to the screen and won't have to rely on anything else to display the cam. Just put in reverse and the input switcher changes to the active source and then changes back to whatever is normally on the screen. At least that's the theory.