LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

With the Timur ROM, the tablet will automatically wake up from deep sleep and will stay on as long as it is charging. As soon as charging stops, the tablet will go into deep sleep mode. That works great.

But what I am getting at are these freak events when either the tablet completely freezes and no longer responds for one reason or another, and would need to be rebooted manually, or the battery gets completely drained and the tablet powers down. In these cases, one would need to press the power button. But it sounds like that command would work for these situations?

Yes, that's exactly what it does.

funkycharms: by default, if the tablet is completely powered down, just applying external power will bring up a charging screen (pictured below) but now actually power on. With the "off-mode-charge" setting disabled, the tablet will actually boot up when it's off if there's any external power applied.

improve-battery-life-your-nexus-7-tablet-with-easy-power-saving-tweak.w1456.jpg

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it, I think my issue is different.

In my case, sometimes I will turn my car on, but the tablet will not wake from a deep sleep. This will go on for days, until the battery runs out or until it magically decides to turn back on. Sometimes when the screen is off but the car is on, I can hear the hangouts app receive messages while I am in my driveway

Unfortunately I have not found any consistencies, and happens once every month or two. I am running timur as well

Yes, that's exactly what it does.

funkycharms: by default, if the tablet is completely powered down, just applying external power will bring up a charging screen (pictured below) but now actually power on. With the "off-mode-charge" setting disabled, the tablet will actually boot up when it's off if there's any external power applied.

improve-battery-life-your-nexus-7-tablet-with-easy-power-saving-tweak.w1456.jpg

Edited by funkycharms

Got it, I think my issue is different.

In my case, sometimes I will turn my car on, but the tablet will not wake from a deep sleep. This will go on for days, until the battery runs out or until it magically decides to turn back on. Sometimes when the screen is off but the car is on, I can hear the hangouts app receive messages while I am in my driveway

Unfortunately I have not found any consistencies, and happens once every month or two. I am running timur as well

Yeah, that's definitely a different issue... Not sure how to approach that. Sounds like a potential kernel/ROM issue. A probably useful workaround would be to set up a Tasker script to wake the screen whenever external power is applied. If that doesn't work, then there's definitely a kernel issue.

wow. That's amazing. How long does it take for the tablet to realize it is 'frozen' and unresponsive and finally decides to reboot? Has it happened to you?

That varies for me... It happens to me occasionally when I'm using Waze for navigation. Sometimes it'll freeze and reboot in under 15 seconds, sometimes it'll take several minutes. No idea what causes it. I'm betting it's just that generally Android and pretty much all of its applications are poorly programmed :lol:

So I guess the only advantage of adding a physical power button is the ability to reboot an unresponsive tablet immediately and not having to potentially wait a few minutes. You agree?

That's been my experience. I haven't yet had the tablet become so unresponsive that it doesn't eventually reset itself and power back up.

solidxsnake, what are you exactly using to ensure engine noise is filtered out of the audio signal? I can hear some alternator noise at low volume and it annoys me :mad:

You'll need to build your own isolated power supply to power the tablet and anything in the audio path. In my case, I have a 5V power supply that powers the USB hub and the tablet. I have the Behringer UCA202 DAC that plugs into the hub and use the 3.5mm out to feed into the stock AUX port.

One thing I should mention, this is completely noise-free UNTIL I plug my OpenPort into the USB hub. The reason being that the car's GND connection from the OBD port is passed through to the OpenPort's USB GND, which just transfers the noise onto the GND of the USB hub/tablet/DAC. The only way around that is to buy/build a USB isolator, but it wasn't worth it to me.

When I get some time I can send you the schematic and PCB details if you're interested. In fact I might have already detailed all of that in an earlier post of mine in this thread.

thanks for the reply. It looks like your set up is very similar to mine. I am using a 5V power supply which also powers the tablet and USB hub. And I am also using the Behringer UCA202 DAC. But I am using the line output of the DAC instead of the 3.5mm output. That line output then goes to a preamp and then a couple of car audio amps.

And I am using, I believe your vagcom cable :). So maybe, the noise comes from it too? Not sure. I need to check each 'stage' of the setup to confirm.

I mean, it is not that bad really. But when you play the music at low volume, you may begin to notice the noise.

thanks for the reply. It looks like your set up is very similar to mine. I am using a 5V power supply which also powers the tablet and USB hub. And I am also using the Behringer UCA202 DAC. But I am using the line output of the DAC instead of the 3.5mm output. That line output then goes to a preamp and then a couple of car audio amps.

And I am using, I believe your vagcom cable :). So maybe, the noise comes from it too? Not sure. I need to check each 'stage' of the setup to confirm.

I mean, it is not that bad really. But when you play the music at low volume, you may begin to notice the noise.

If you unplug the VAGCOM cable and still have the noise, it's the power supply. The only way to eliminate it is to use an isolated supply, which I strongly doubt you'll find commercially. That's why I built my own.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/47Fyh6th

That's a link to the PCB I designed for the circuit.

http://www.digikey.com/short/q8qhtr

That's a link to a DigiKey cart with (I believe) all of the necessary components (with extras for most of the passive components).

The design is based off of the reference design used in the evaluation board for the Linear Tech IC. If you look up the IC datasheet and eval board documents you should be able to find a schematic if you're interested.

solidxsnake, thank you for sharing this. I am sure this took a good amount of time to prepare, figure out stuff, etc... So I appreciate it for sure.

One question. I think I see this power supply is rated at an output of 5V and ~2.2A. What would you modify on that schematic to allow higher current output, say 5-10A?

solidxsnake, thank you for sharing this. I am sure this took a good amount of time to prepare, figure out stuff, etc... So I appreciate it for sure.

One question. I think I see this power supply is rated at an output of 5V and ~2.2A. What would you modify on that schematic to allow higher current output, say 5-10A?

You'd need a different circuit. I'd have to go back and look at the datasheet for the IC, but I'm fairly certain that IC can't regulate more than 5V @ ~2A. It may be possible to use an external switch and a bigger transformer, but that would be quite a bit more design work. I was lazy and stuck with the reference design :lol:

Now that I'm home, here's the schematic

DC2014A-3-SCH.PDF

I see. So right now you said you have the tablet hooked to it and a usb hub. How many devices you have connected to your usb hub in addition to the tactrix cable and the dac?

Well, technically right now the tablet has been moved over to my Accord :lol:

But when it was in the LGT, I was powering the tablet, the USB DAC, a microSD/SD card reader, Tactrix OP2.0 and a PL2303 serial-to-USB adapter to read my wideband O2 sensor. Charging current on the tablet was still positive at full brightness but not particularly large, so the tablet battery wouldn't drain, but wouldn't really charge if it was under 100% either. Very rare that the tablet is ever under 100%, though.

• 4 weeks later...
Are there any newer tablets that are being used for this? I see a lot of use of the Nexus 7, which was last updated in 2013, if I remember correctly. I know you can't use the Amazon Fire 7 because it's locked down (and slow). Any other suggestions?

Are there any newer tablets that are being used for this? I see a lot of use of the Nexus 7, which was last updated in 2013, if I remember correctly. I know you can't use the Amazon Fire 7 because it's locked down (and slow). Any other suggestions?

The reason people use the N7 2013 is because people have hacked the kernel to support OTG+Charging... I'm not sure how many other devices have had that attention, or how many of them are as easy to modify as the Nexus (since Google open-sources all of the Nexus devices and related things).

One more question :)

Do any of you know of an android app which provides a high quality parametric equalizer to adjust the main stereo output of the device? I do not want a media player with builtin eq. I am looking for a dedicated param eq. which will process the sound outputted from, say google play or whichever app generating sound.

I can't find one at the moment...

One more question :)

Do any of you know of an android app which provides a high quality parametric equalizer to adjust the main stereo output of the device? I do not want a media player with builtin eq. I am looking for a dedicated param eq. which will process the sound outputted from, say google play or whichever app generating sound.

I can't find one at the moment...

Sounds like you're looking for AudioFX. That is mostly ROM dependent. I have access to it on SlimLP, I believe.

Is AudioFX only letting you adjust set frequencies though? I want to be able to select the frequencies I want to adjust as well as the Q factor and stuff like that.

I found an app that can do this kind of stuff (Neutron player). It's really good. But then these adjustments would only affect sound being processed by the player and nothing else :(.

• 1 month later...
Is AudioFX only letting you adjust set frequencies though? I want to be able to select the frequencies I want to adjust as well as the Q factor and stuff like that.

I found an app that can do this kind of stuff (Neutron player). It's really good. But then these adjustments would only affect sound being processed by the player and nothing else :(.

Bump to this.

Also, anyone with the latest Timur rom on marshmallow? I am noticing two issues: when the tablet 'wakes up', the screen does not necessarily turn on. I have to touch it and then it turns on. Second, the battery still gets depleted during deep sleep mode. 'Tablet idle' is the apparent process that drains it. Nothing else. If I power it down and leave it alone for like 5 days straight, then turn it back on, the battery is still full. So it is not a battery issue.

Are you guys having similar issues?