68 members have voted

1. 1. Which car should I buy???

• Acura TL SH-AWD White with Umber
    • Audi S6
    • BMW 550i xDrive
    • Cadillac CTS 3.6L AWD
    • Infiniti M56i AWD
    • Mercedes Benz 550 4matic

Interesting. I had done plenty of research, just not in the last week and a half. Fixing both my cars + lots of stuff for work + helping my girl apply to jobs in the DC area so she can move down from Boston when she graduates + a crapload of other stuff = no time to check Autoblog. ;)

Yea, that'll get ya ;) lol

Its ok though, everyone is pretty pissed about it from what I've seen. GM lied is pretty much the going slogan. The original intent/selling point was that yes, it was a true EV where the generators powered just the batteries, but they've since changed their story.

Wasnt meaning to sound rude if i came off that way, have a few other things on my mind = lack of filtration sometimes ;)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
Yea, that'll get ya ;) lol

Its ok though, everyone is pretty pissed about it from what I've seen. GM lied is pretty much the going slogan. The original intent/selling point was that yes, it was a true EV where the generators powered just the batteries, but they've since changed their story.

Wasnt meaning to sound rude if i came off that way, have a few other things on my mind = lack of filtration sometimes ;)

Okay, GM was dumb and made ridiculously misleading statements, but frankly, this is a better setup than their originally stated one. They were originally going to have a ~180 hp electric motor setup, and then once the batteries were drained, you'd be limited to 103 hp because that's what the ICE would produce. That was a pretty asinine setup IMO -- imagine hauling all those batteries up a mountain with 103 hp! This setup makes a lot more sense, and GM would have had no problem spinning it into a positive if they didn't suck so much at marketing.

In other words -- good engineering, but poor execution. Which has been a big part of GM's problem all along. (Their engineers generally haven't been the problem -- the problem has been the bean counters telling them they're not allowed to do things the right way because it costs $50 more per car.)

Okay, GM was dumb and made ridiculously misleading statements, but frankly, this is a better setup than their originally stated one. They were originally going to have a ~180 hp electric motor setup, and then once the batteries were drained, you'd be limited to 103 hp because that's what the ICE would produce. That was a pretty asinine setup IMO -- imagine hauling all those batteries up a mountain with 103 hp! This setup makes a lot more sense, and GM would have had no problem spinning it into a positive if they didn't suck so much at marketing.

In other words -- good engineering, but poor execution. Which has been a big part of GM's problem all along. (Their engineers generally haven't been the problem -- the problem has been the bean counters telling them they're not allowed to do things the right way because it costs $50 more per car.)

Nailed it!

• I Donated
While we're on the subject of poor execution (before we move to the next OT subject :lol:), why the crap did GM announce the Volt so early? It's lost most of its momentum by now. If they had announced it 3 months ago, it would debut to incredible fanfare and everyone and their brother would go out and buy one. Now, everyone's just like, "Meh, another announcement about the Volt... what else is new?" :rolleyes:

While we're on the subject of poor execution (before we move to the next OT subject :lol:), why the crap did GM announce the Volt so early? It's lost most of its momentum by now. If they had announced it 3 months ago, it would debut to incredible fanfare and everyone and their brother would go out and buy one. Now, everyone's just like, "Meh, another announcement about the Volt... what else is new?" :rolleyes:

Just to play devil's advocate... Look at the camaro. It was hyped up in the original transformers movie and wasnt released until just last year (IIRC, time is flying by atm, lol)? It is still a pretty hot seller. And yes, they kept having announcements about it for years, and it still lived up to the hype.

Not that I dont agree with you, but just looking at a different car in a similar situation... Not all scenario's are the same.

• I Donated
The difference with the Camaro is that it, for one, is a good value, and secondly, lived up to the hype. In the Volt's case, a $40,000 small car is not a good value, and obviously the hype is already backfiring before the car is even out. GM did a lot of things right with the Camaro, things that they have been very bad at in the past. Looks like they didn't completely learn their lesson, but hey, at least there's progress.

Definitely agree there, people just need to accept that series hybrids are the future but we're going to have to pay more for them now. Volt shouldn't have been a mainstream car, but rather something more like the EV1. The time will come for it but not quite yet.

The only problem with the Volt is the company behind it. Toyota blew away the status quo with the Prius. Can you imagine GM launching a Prius instead of Toyota back then, and it being a success?
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

...I always wanted a pick-up! I am not worried about fuel economy...company gas card...yayy!

Who wants to go test driving with me?

My first vehicle was a '86 Ford Bronco II w/ m/t! Fun truck, torquey, cheap to repair but the undercarriage rusted out.

I always drive saner behind a bigger vehicle anyways! ;)

CK

...nice p/u...built one that nets $46,000 - roughly $825/mo.

How much do you think I can bargain down too?

First mod front a rear bars...steel/iron that is!

http://cache1.realtruck.com/iron-cross-truck-bumpers/thumbs/640x480/bumper-grilleguard.jpg

http://cache1.realtruck.com/iron-cross-truck-bumpers/thumbs/640x480/iron_cross_rear_bumper.jpg

plus a winch...and Hella Hid Fog and Pencilbeam lights for the front...boom, I am set!

White p/u w/ black trim...i.e. bumpers, fender flares, lights and wheels...oh total badass!

CRAZY KEN

P.S. 4x4 was my biggest forte when I was growing up...Especially since I grew up having a farm! I took that Bronco II eveerywhere...even jumped my truck over small hills! Fun,fun,fun

...nice p/u...built one that nets $46,000 - roughly $825/mo.

How much do you think I can bargain down too?

First mod front a rear bars...steel/iron that is!

http://cache1.realtruck.com/iron-cross-truck-bumpers/thumbs/640x480/bumper-grilleguard.jpg

http://cache1.realtruck.com/iron-cross-truck-bumpers/thumbs/640x480/iron_cross_rear_bumper.jpg

plus a winch...and Hella Hid Fog and Pencilbeam lights for the front...boom, I am set!

White p/u w/ black trim...i.e. bumpers, fender flares, lights and wheels...oh total badass!

CRAZY KEN

P.S. 4x4 was my biggest forte when I was growing up...Especially since I grew up having a farm! I took that Bronco II eveerywhere...even jumped my truck over small hills! Fun,fun,fun

Hooray for my suggestion of the Raptor ;) lol

I'm betting that you'd get em down to $40,000, but I doubt much less than that since its a "limited production" truck. That may be changing for 2011, but for 2010, it escaped the EPA ratings/gas guzzler taxes, etc because there were only 1100 produced.

They say that a similarly equipped FX4 is only $3,000 less than the Raptor, and the Raptor has a $7-8k suspension setup alone. So, value for money is apparently pretty high.

Let us know if you get it, I'm very tempted to pick one up at the end of 2011 if things clear up for me.

...I'll give you CRAZY!

One winter, early '90s, it was so cold that our 1.5 acres man-made pond froze over. I didn't know how deep/thick. I stood on the edge, no cracks, no breaks...I started jumping...nothing. Took my Honda 250cc ATV drove it a long the edges...nothing happened..PERFECT! Tied a rope to the ATV and an innertube on the other...BOOM...instant thrill ride.

Anyways...

The next morning, I wake up and noticed a set of "TIRE" tracks going across the pond. Apparently my father took the Bronco II and drove to the middle of the pond to the small island we have. He was checking on the baby ducks! I said to myself, holy$h!t the pond can hold the truck. So what did I do???

You guess it...

I tied a rope to the Bronco II and boy let me tell you...scary as $h!t!!!

Ah the good old days...would I do it again? Hellz no...that was totally stupid and risky as hell...who the hell would be able to save me?

CRAZY KEN

P.S. That is not how I got my name...that would be another thread! ;) AND...I have soooo many more stories about my farm! The good old days! I still have it, but I only go there for shooting - pistols, shotguns, rifles, ect. fun,fun,fun "Sounds like there's a war going on over them hills at the Sugarview Farm...yeehaw!"

KEN!!!! If you do shooting on your farm, I WANNA JOIN YOU!!! Lemme know the next time you go.

BTW, call up Subaru of America. Lemme know what they think. I posted it in Myles's FB post where he was telling you to get a Subie.

...but this is serious! Have you fired any firearms? Have you taken any classes or lessons? If you answered no to any of these questions, then I regretfully have to answer no.

But, when my LOC has to dispose of old/outdated body armor, Ill invite you to that. We go out and destroy old armor with everything including .50 caliber barrett sniper rifle...muhahahaha!!!

Ken, count me in!

I also have taken a firearm safety course!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived