• BMW 550i xDrive
    • Cadillac CTS 3.6L AWD
    • Infiniti M56i AWD
    • Mercedes Benz 550 4matic

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE SUBARU WAS NOT A STOCK FACTORY CAR:

The stickler is that the Subaru in question wasn’t a production car. It was' date=' [b']in the words of the company[/b], a 2011 Impreza WRX STI prototype. The car is basically the bastard child of two JDM-only models with some extra bespoke aero bits thrown in for slipperiness and high-speed stability.
Sorry, not an apples to apples comparison. And considering that the 'prototype' was just four seconds faster....and with a much harsher, less refined feel, luxury appointments, etc....still favor CTS-V.

After watching a few times as well....I was laughing at how much the WRX driver was all over the course compared to the CTS.

The problem with the CTS-V is the transmission. Every review has said "the car is great, the transmission is rubbish"

That said, who gives a crap about resale value? I thought you were buying this car for yourself, not the next guy in line. He wont buy new, so why cater to HIS wants and needs?

Buy the car you want, damn the resale value. That's a kick in the right direction.

The BMW 550 is a very much "set it and forget it" type of ride. I assume it's got the same twin-turbo V8 of the 750, which makes massive amounts of torque. The OCI indicator on the dash of the 750 updates with driving scenarios, and called for the first oil change at 9650 miles.

Performance cars over $60k being unreliable is a joke. There are guys in Detroit I've known for years that still drive their early 90's Dodge Vipers every day, rain, snow, or shine. Some pushing 120,000 miles without a problem.

In stock form, cars are designed to last a reasonable amount of time, at least 100k. Why? Because, if you want to replace the car, you want the one you get rid of to be worth something. If the car is dead at 100k, there is zero return on your investment when it comes time to trade it in.

It all depends on budget. If you can swing it, the M3 sedan is a really nice ride.

Of your choices, the Audi wins for looks with the MB a close second. MB has let me down, so I don't like them as much as I COULD. We drove the S63 AMG when looking at new cars, and I was disappointed. For $150k, you got a boat of a Sedan that drove... like a boat. It wasn't fun, fast, or inspiring. It was just loud, handled like crap, and got gallons-to-the-mile.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

THE SUBARU WAS NOT A STOCK FACTORY CAR:

Sorry, not an apples to apples comparison. And considering that the 'prototype' was just four seconds faster....and with a much harsher, less refined feel, luxury appointments, etc....still favor CTS-V.

After watching a few times as well....I was laughing at how much the WRX driver was all over the course compared to the CTS.

The CTS-V's transmission is not reliable. Like BAC said, and feel free to look it up yourself, it is not reliable as what SEVERAL reviews are saying.

And yes, we all know the STI wasn't 100% stock. They changed the springs to lower the CG and used a front strut and front ladder brace. Mods I was going to do already. LOL! Not expensive at all.

Both CTS-V transmissions are Tremec 6speeds. I realy dont see those being the issue. On 04-05 LS6 cars the rear diff had some issues. But from 06 on they are very robust cars all the way around.

As to why I want the 06 LS2 CTS-V i recently found!

I was assuming he wanted an automatic transmission, considering his other choices.

The Auto in the CTS-V is a lame, standard 6-speed auto with a lame attempt at flappy paddles. It's the major complaint factor from ALL reviews of the V.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

...everyone play nice now!

I am not saying CTS-V sucks, or has a shitty transmission, or whatnot...I am just saying it doesn't meet MY spec. Monster power...I was in back of one at a light...he launched burning a nice stretch of rubber-while I was on his @$$...once it grip - it took off...I had to wait to spool up to catch up to him...he got a good 3-4 car distance away...but then came some twisty roads and he was all over the place...going pass the line...I caught up on his @$$ yet again...then when it straightened up he was slowly pulling away! Nice car, LOTS of power, driver of that car I guess can't drive it to its full potential...RWD...got lots of class...so the only thing that would hold me back is the RWD factor...maybe the interior...i.e. I haven't sat in one yet!

AWD is a must must for everyday - rain or shine - snow or ice ... you heard of "once you go black you never go back!" ... I say, "once you go awd you never go RWD or FWD" ... doesn't rythm as much, but you get my point. I love the fact that when I stomp on the gas pedal, my tires won't spin. I mean, once you tasted the confidence in grip and handling of an awd system how can you ever go back.

The STi is a nice all around car, but too small for me...lacks sophistication that I want...NOT an A/T!

Like I said before if Subaru brought back the Legacy in A/T form and in a STi version...I would be all over that! But we live in U.S. of A.,so we aren't that special.

The G37xs - 4 things I hate - paddle shifters on the steering column NOT the steering wheel, front seats are tight / not as spacious, rear seat are impossible for my to take on 3 adult clients...tech package sucks and is not refined.

S6 - I haven't driven one yet...I would really like to drive the old RS6!!! S4 or RS4 is out of the question just because of the rear seating room.

Over all I am looking for a mid-size, performance sports sedan, a/t, awd, with class and sophistication that can reflect my family oriented, corporate persona, car enthusiast!

So far...from all your input...which I thank and do appreciate... the Audi is looking good, but cost of ownership is making me hesitant...I know a lot of people hate it, but that Acura is a nice all around car...not a powerful, torque ride...I hope comptech or someone can do something about that...but out of all the manufactures...NO ONE CAN COMPETE with their tech package...they rule that niche in the industry IMHO!

Still am not set...the search...replies...post...continues...

CRAZY KEN

How about a Legacy? :lol:

+1

When the sedans first came out, Ken wanted one! Now he is going after high-dollar, high-cost upkeep, high-cost maintenance cars! Well, minus the Acura and Infiniti.

Seriously, just get a 2010 Leggy like you originally planned! :lol:

I wouldn't consider the Acura or the Infiniti. Not because I don't like them, but because they aren't "in class" with the other options.

What kind of budget do you have to play with?

The Lexus IS-F is one hell of a fun car to fling around.

Get over the RWD limitation. It's holding you back. Higher-end RWD cars are perfectly suitable for all of the conditions we see locally, and have plenty of gizmos to prevent you from swapping ends if you get happy around turns.

Not the BMW and it's DTC. I can attest to this first hand when I was stuck at the Naval Hospital during a snow storm. I got caught in a slush puddle and the DTC was going crazy. I had to turn the damn thing off and hope to God I would clear the puddle.

It's hit or miss.

Judging from the list Ken has, it looks like his budget is up towards 80 - 90K for a car, then close to 150 - 200 for a simple oil change. LOL! Plus add in a house mortgage and his kid, I think he would be better off with a Legacy.

...you guys are killing me...lol! No house mortgage...gave house to wife in the divorce...gave mercedes too. I have no mortgage. Car or insurance payment now...just saving!

Hmmm...how much is a used GT-R?

CK

...you guys are killing me...lol! No house mortgage...gave house to wife in the divorce...gave mercedes too. I have no mortgage. Car or insurance payment now...just saving!

Hmmm...how much is a used GT-R?

CK

And here I thought you were looking for room. Haha!

A used GT-R can range from 65 - 80K.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?toggleCpo=0&mkId=20077&mdId=21204&minp=0&prMx=&rd=30&zc=20904&AmbMkNm=Nissan&AmbMdNm=GT-R&AmbMkId=20077&AmbMdId=21204&prMn=&stkTyp=U&cpo=&searchSource=QUICK_FORM&alMkId=20077&alMdId=21204

But I don't think I can trust a used one. Who knows if the previous dirtbag voided the warranty by using the launch control before selling it.

A used GTR? Serious? Would you marry a hooker? Go new or go home.

My FIL didn't have any issues in the mega-blizzard with his LS460. Hey, he might be willing to sell that, if your interested. PM me.

A used GTR? Serious? Would you marry a hooker? Go new or go home.

My FIL didn't have any issues in the mega-blizzard with his LS460. Hey, he might be willing to sell that, if your interested. PM me.

New cars are the reason the rich aren't worried about the poor and middle class competing with their wealth. Not directly, but it's a fun way to look at it :)

There are a LOT of cars I would buy used... But cars with $20,000 transmission that has issues when beaten on.... You are asking to get into debt repairing someone elses bad driving.

They make fixes now for certain issues specific to the GTR transmission (PPG). If you want to launch an AWD car that is that powerful, with the grip to hold it down, then you better bring your wallet.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

...having gout limits me to use my left foot...and if you have never experience it (and I wish you don't), then you would realize why my next car has to be an A/T.

I have been doing some further research/test driving:

CTS-V - small interior, back seat issues for sure...ext/int looks is elegant and luxurious, exhaust/engine sound is mean...handling is okay - can definitely tell its a heavy car, brakes are good...Henessey makes a 700+hp CTS-V that is sick!

C63AMG - nice all around car - very roomy. exhaust/engine sounds great, handles well, brakes are amazing and this is without the Perf. Pkg. that adds more goodies...Oh, and Renntech makes a nice package to compete with a stock CTS-V (555hp/495tq).

...that is it for my RWD research...test driving a S6 soon I hope...

too bad they don't make the RS6 no more!

"If only my real job is test driving cars, travel the world, writing write-ups and on top of that making 6 figures...man that would be an awesome job!"

CRAZY KEN

...having gout limits me to use my left foot...and if you have never experience it (and I wish you don't), then you would realize why my next car has to be an A/T.

Geesh Ken,gout sucks.I have a couple of friends who have it and I've been with them in the midst of a flare.Not fun. good luck

Rudy

Well Ken, if you can afford it, then go with the S6. Just be mindful of the problems you will be getting along with buying an expensive German car. Make sure you weigh in the goods and bads.

Also be mindful that Audi dips into the same parts bin and has the same QRC as VW does. That should tell you a ton right there.

As far as the C63 AMG, I was seriously considering that car myself. I really really wanted one, but there are quite a bit of flaws with it, MAINLY the maintenance cost and not every mechanic can fix what needs to be done on the car without voiding the warranty. I got this from the MB dealership at Automobile Park, Burtonsville MD. I am not one to believe everything a salesman says, but this guy sounded sincere.

Just be very careful on your next purchase. Sure you can afford the car now, but how about 3 years from now? 5 years from now? That's the question to ask yourself. :)

Archived