1. 1. Which car should I buy???

• Acura TL SH-AWD White with Umber
    • Audi S6
    • BMW 550i xDrive
    • Cadillac CTS 3.6L AWD
    • Infiniti M56i AWD
    • Mercedes Benz 550 4matic

Here is my 2 cents:

Acura TL - it is a honda; you see a lot of them on the road.

Audi - haven't seen the S6 yet but PGT test drove the S4 and he loved it

BMW - if it is not a 3, don't bother

Cadillac - i can't believe i am saying this but the CTS is one sexy ride. also depends how you feel on GM (re: bail out)

Infiniti - Looks nice but indistinguishable from the herd

MB - If it is not an E, don't bother. Ask PGT he drives an E coupe.

With your budget, I'll break it up into a nice RWD coupe that you can drive for 9 months and a beater AWD for winter and everything else. How about an M3 and Forester combo?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not terribly impressed with MB. I drove an S63 AMG with my FIL, and was thoroughly unimpressed. It lacked in every category.

I'd look to Audi or BMW in that price range, or kick the AWD requirement and go for an IS-F or something similar.

The Automatic in the CTS-V is rubbish. If you are going to get something with an automatic, make sure it's something that has a little thought put into the transmission. BMW's DSG is awesome, so is the VW/Audi setup. I'd never get an automatic in any car I buy, but those would be the types of transmissions I'd be looking for.

The IS-F doesn't have a twin-clutch trans, but the reviews I've heard about the conventional auto is that it's utterly sick.

If you want an LS460, I can talk to my father-in-law. He might be interested in getting rid of his.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated
Car and Driver did a test of the BMW, Audi, and Infiniti. The Audi came in first, the Infiniti second, and the BMW third. You should look it up on their site, just in case their insight would affect your buying decisions.

Hmm, I wonder what it is then. Germany is definitely the next destination for my automotive purchases. I just think the Japanese offerings are getting boring.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Oh it is Japanese alright, and it is not the GT-R. Like BAC said about buying a used GT-R.

And I don't think Japan offerings are boring. Not in the slightest. German offerings are great, but the maintenance involved for just a simple oil change? PASS!!

German cars aren't THAT bad. You can still change the oil yourself!

I hope it's an IS-F. I'm not a fan of Infiniti or Acura, both seem bland.

German cars aren't THAT bad. You can still change the oil yourself!

I hope it's an IS-F. I'm not a fan of Infiniti or Acura, both seem bland.

You guys will see when he makes the post.

BAC5.2, as much as I like German cars, the maintenance bills, especially from the BM Trouble You were not fun at all. Glad I got rid of the lease before the 30K hit. Dear Lord that car is a mess.

And yes you can still do your own oil changes, but let's see the computer realize you did one without a rain dance and voodoo magic. And yes, reset the computer oil change interval on your own and then convince corporate that you did the oil change yourself and didn't do any performance tunes when you need warranty work done.

Way too many bad experiences. But if you go with a 2005 or earlier BMW, I can understand. Same with MB. Not so much with Porsche, unless you get a 1997 and earlier. Audi, I can only hope you know what you are doing. :)

The IS-F that showed up to NASA was interesting. The guy is one of the better drivers in the nation but it really ran away at the time trial apparently.

From the reviews I've read in the mags, the IS-F wasn't all that. Toyota is still figuring out how to get away from floaty lame cars that only have nice interiors and insignificant 'features'.

However, the IS-F got a revamp for 2011. No exterior changes (which in really needed IMO), but focusing on fixing the issues with that model was smart.

I think Ken made up his mind this evening after we had some conversation. And he made a great choice! And no, it is not a Subaru either, nor any German cars. :)

I can't wait to see it when he gets it!

I bet he went with the Tata Nano.

The reviews I've read had great things to say about the IS-F. It's the smoke generating, WEEEE!!!! ride for professionals with kids. A car that is equally at home shaving miles off the rear tires, as it is pulling up to a black tie event.

For a time, it was on the short list of "next vehicles". Probably in blue, that color is sick.

The reviews I've read had great things to say about the IS-F. It's the smoke generating, WEEEE!!!! ride for professionals with kids. A car that is equally at home shaving miles off the rear tires, as it is pulling up to a black tie event.

For a time, it was on the short list of "next vehicles". Probably in blue, that color is sick.

M5 is a far better choice... Could always go american muscle sedans... other than me beloved CTS-V... There is the SRT8 charger and 300. Those are fast adn comfy and not to expencive either.

M5's are nice, but tip $100k. The IS-F can be had for $70ish.

I wouldn't even consider the 'merican "muscle" cars. The SRT8 variants of the charger and 300 are just lame. The Magnum is even worse.

Well, we don't know what he got!

If you want an LS460, I can talk to my father-in-law. He might be interested in getting rid of his.

What year and how much he want? LS460 is a SWEET ride. ;)

No Recaro's = Fail

That and I've sworn off GM. Not because of the bailout, but because they refused to fix warranty problems while the our car (gone now) was at 20k, 28k, 32k, 34k miles (yes, it was brought in that many times for the same problems). Catastrophic failure at 44k miles, did some research, the 06 equinox has the same issues across the board and every owner had the same problems with the car and GM.

That being said, the CTS-V is a sweet ride though ;)

Has the OP looked at something like the Lexus GS350/460 AWD? They are a very nice ride for the price. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. LOTS of space, decent handling for such a large car, and the 460 is a very smooth/powerful engine. Not a lot of mods for it though. No paddle shifters, its an auto that you can shift though.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I think it's an 08. I'd have to ask what he is looking to get. PM me if you are interested.

Archived