LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbokit - the Install

I have no tuning experience at all, which explains why I drive a non-turbo vehicle LOL. I had simply forgotten what was involved, it has been awhile since I've researched tuning. After reading about this flashing process, I am not sure I would want to tackle this myself for the first time, but it seems simple enough. I'm sure I can get someone local to atleast reflash the ECU (those cables are not cheap!) Thanks for your help.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the 98-07 impreza had that odd mid pipe that required an extension and rotation to mate to stock location WRX/LGT (00+). I guess the Impreza has a slightly shorter noise as well which explains the tight tolerances.

Paul

You def could log and eTune. This only requires you to be able to flash to your ECU. There aren't defs for my 08 2.5i 5MT or I haven't found them but once i pull a log a competent eTuner will be able to make heads and or tails of it.

Yeah the 98-07 impreza had that odd mid pipe that required an extension and rotation to mate to stock location WRX/LGT (00+). I guess the Impreza has a slightly shorter noise as well which explains the tight tolerances.

Paul

You def could log and eTune. This only requires you to be able to flash to your ECU. There aren't defs for my 08 2.5i 5MT or I haven't found them but once i pull a log a competent eTuner will be able to make heads and or tails of it.

According to RomRaider, the 2008 2.5i 5MT is supported.

http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/SupportedECUs

Download the definitions here.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=360

I opened the xml table to double check and it is there.

<rom base="32BITBASE">

<romid>

<xmlid>EZ1D105C</xmlid>

<internalidaddress>2004</internalidaddress>

<internalidstring>EZ1D105C</internalidstring>

<ecuid>52121A7007</ecuid>

<year>08</year>

<market>USDM</market>

<make>Subaru</make>

<model>Legacy</model>

<submodel>2.5i</submodel>

<transmission>MT</transmission>

<memmodel>SH7058</memmodel>

<flashmethod>subarucan</flashmethod>

<filesize>1024kb</filesize>

• 2 weeks later...
Dyno chart from the 2007 Impreza 2.5i w/prototype turbokit.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/media/imp25i_01.jpg

Regards,

Paul Hansen

:ohhh: Yup oh sh*T :lol:

I bet that is the most satisfaction 4 to 5 pounds of anything will ever bring :)

225ish whp with a 4.5psi is pretty sick.....

All the mods that I'd have to do to accompany the kit.. eh.. suspension, sway bars, strut bars, full exhaust... I wish I got a manual too

SORRY for the list of questions homeys..... I think I'll consider getting one of these, especially if the price drops.....

How much psi is a stock LGT running, and how much could they get up to?

Don't hate me for this noob question but is there a way to get our 2.5i engines to handle safely MORE psi?

I heard anything more than 8 really destroys our engine....

What are safe psi levels that wouldn't kill our engine but still add a nice huge bump with this kit?

Thanks guys

225ish whp with a 4.5psi is pretty sick.....

All the mods that I'd have to do to accompany the kit.. eh.. suspension, sway bars, strut bars, full exhaust... I wish I got a manual too

SORRY for the list of questions homeys..... I think I'll consider getting one of these, especially if the price drops.....

How much psi is a stock LGT running, and how much could they get up to?

Don't hate me for this noob question but is there a way to get our 2.5i engines to handle safely MORE psi?

I heard anything more than 8 really destroys our engine....

What are safe psi levels that wouldn't kill our engine but still add a nice huge bump with this kit?

Thanks guys

Stock LGT's run ~13.5psi stock. The max you can run safetly on the stock turbo is 18psi. Lest you're aware the 2.5i engine internals are different than the LGT's, also the 2.5i's compression ratio is higher than LGTs. Most, if not all, turboed engines are lower compression than N/A in order to handle boost. On the stock LGT block, you're looking at ~25psi at most if you upgrade the turbo. The N/A's are a bit different, even a little amount of boost makes big gains, but there's a very fine line between max power and a safe, reliable, tune.

I've been running around 6psi for a while now, which is the max I can do without switch out a sensor from a GT for higher boost readings. Low boost levels do still have high returns on a high compression motor, but there will be a limit - I doubt a 2.5i motor, stock, can reach the peak hp levels a turbo motor can when tuned out to limits. But I doubt a turbo motor is going to have the low rpm response these cars have with a turbo kit on.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Archived