LegacyGT.com

AVO Turbokit - the Install

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this '06-'09 kit was fitted to an '05, with the only difference being the use of the UP+DP from the 2.5RS kit, it would work, correct?

Since AVO stocks the parts, an '05 build option could technically be spec'd for this kit... if it works that way :p

If this '06-'09 kit was fitted to an '05, with the only difference being the use of the UP+DP from the 2.5RS kit, it would work, correct?

Since AVO stocks the parts, an '05 build option could technically be spec'd for this kit... if it works that way :p

Interesting, I'd like to know as well.

I'd need an 05 to look at. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cat-back section of the exhaust is the same from 05 through 09. It's the exhaust manifold and that section of pipe from the exhaust manifold to the catback that is different.

So the only difference may be in the uppipe, while the turbo/downpipe section would be the same as the 06-09.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

I'd need an 05 to look at. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cat-back section of the exhaust is the same from 05 through 09. It's the exhaust manifold and that section of pipe from the exhaust manifold to the catback that is different.

So the only difference may be in the uppipe, while the turbo/downpipe section would be the same as the 06-09.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com

You can have my 05 to look at if I can have a free turbo kit :cool:

would you recommend this for automatic drivers? HAHA.... i kind of wish i got a stick GT, or even the 2011 WRX for that matter...

The 4eat is a rather robust tranny, almost bulletproof. I don't forsee this kit ever producing enough hp to destroy that tranny.

thanks for the quick responses guys.. i might actually consider getting me one... hopefully sometime soon... it isn't pocket change haha.

Would you recommend sticking with the stock intake? I've heard from many a SRI messes up the throttle and the stock intake is pretty good

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Unfortunately that isn't correct; I wish it was. This is how it's setup:

The '05 2.5i catback is actually about 4" longer at the connection to the catalytic converters. Another way of saying it: The catalytic converters on the '05 are shorter, to accommodate a longer exhaust system.

Therefore, the DP would have to be shorter on the '05 kit. The 2.5RS kit might already take this into account, given the '05 uses the same 2.5RS header and cat section.

However, if one was to put an aftermarket exhaust on their '05 with the 2.5RS downpipe installed, they'd need an extension because exhausts designed for the GT (or '06-'09 2.5i) are shorter than then '05 2.5i.

It's tricky, but I hope you can understand it better now.

The oddball is the 05 2.5i Paul:

05-09 LGT is the same as 06-09 2.5i

05 2.5i Legacy is the same as 98-2005 Impreza RS/Forester/Legacy

05 PZEV 2.5i Legacy is similar to a EZ30D layout

So this kit will work seamlessly with ANY 06+ Legacy/Impreza 2.5i

Any 05-er should simply buy the 2000-2005 Impreza Kit that is already in existence .

So this kit will work seamlessly with ANY 06+ Legacy/Impreza 2.5i

Any 05-er should simply buy the 2000-2005 Impreza Kit that is already in existence .

You're forgetting about the top mount ;)

If 05'ers could run the new kit with the 2.5RS exhaust pipes, it'd be a bolt on affair without having to get a GT hood.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh the first 2.5i with this kit is DONE! Its an 07 Impreza 2.5i and the car purrs un-tuned! Can't wait for those user videos to surface his weekend or Monday :-) And in the video it is rumbling nicely.

Im am so in drive bys and engine bay shots

Yes, I've got a modified version of the kit into a 2007 Impreza 2.5i - it's not a perfect fit, nor was meant to be. I've been fabricating bits and pieces for the last 3 days, getting templates for production kits for the Impreza's.

That said, so far it's running great! Getting some work done on the exhaust (one area that's definitely different), then it's off for some dyno tuning in Portland.

I know that two Legacies and one 2010 Impreza 2.5i have kits in them as well. Just been doing some back and forth with tuning. It's Murphy's law - the first three kits went to cars that didn't have romraider definitions yet. Gotten that mostly resolved though.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Do you know if any of them have 4eats? I'd be interested to see how it handles/specifically with the sportshift/sportmode.

Though I know I won't be getting for a while, but I can still drool~

Well, I was saving up some money to upgrade to a MS3, but now that this is actually a dream come true, I don't know what to do!:iam:

Why give up AWD for torque steering into a tree? And the MS3 doesnt have the classy factor that the Legacy does.

Yea yea I'm biased... :lol:

On that 07 what was the difference?Or rather was it structural in nature ???

The engine sits about the same location, but the firewall is 1.5" closer to the intake manifold. There is less space between the engine and the radiator. Exhaust system is different, especially at midpipe - except for the exhaust manifold, which is the same. The air intake area is totally different. Lots of minor things, but nothing too difficult to overcome.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

The main problem I am running into right now is finding a shop who deals with this open source tuning. Many of the shops that do this are hours from my location. Any thoughts?

That is one of the reasons we provide the basemap, it's a relatively safe tune for even 91 octane gas. It's what I've been running the Outback on for the last 10k miles. So as long as you can get a Tactrix 2.0 and have or can borrow a laptop, you'll be able to get it going as is. Then when you can get a chance, you can arrange to visit one of those tuners to get it fine tuned for your vehicle. Heck, if you can log, you can even possibly get it e-tuned by one of the many tuners that do that.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Archived